U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 AM

181 posts, read 288,584 times

Advertisements

I'm 56, no longer employable (out of work two years), and after a major illness my hearing went down the tubes so I could no longer do what I had been doing for 30 years, no health insurance - can't afford to pay 1/2 my income on insurance with a high deductible, and am renting. I have a partner and 401ks and pensions looming. They're not much but at least they'll be available in a few years.

Where do we live to maximize what we have. I know about cutting down basic living expenses. We sold our house a the right time and that gave us the $$ to get out of NYS.

We've always been super at making the right decisions but I had a well-paying job. We lived modestly in a small home in a not-so-hot neighborhood in preparation for the future but not this.

Who else is in a similar situation and what are you doing? We do not have family who can help. I have a sis in a similar situation but she doesn't realize yet that she'll have my niece to be able to help her out.

It's not what I envisioned my future would be as a "forced retiree." I feel stuck and waiting out my days until I finally escape the world. Ironically, I received an article from my partner this morning (from The Huffington Post) that talked about how well other countries are doing because "American" companies are outsourcing there... That's a given.

What do we do ... Folks? What are you doing?

Health insurance, no health insurance? We have no house, no one can take what we don't own.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-28-2010 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 12:28 PM

102 posts, read 157,850 times
All you can really do is find a state with a low cost of living. I guess this is an example why some across the country view universal health care as a good thing despite the flawed, piece-of-trash bill it was.

That said, if hearing is the worst of your physical limitations, you are still 'employable.'

Old 12-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Actually, I'm not employable and I've been looking. If you've been doing the same type of job (albeit different roles) for 30 years and you can no longer do that job, you are not considered employable. I do not read lips and I do not sign. I'm in the process of learning both. I'm in a bit of a twilight zone.

I don't trust the stupid unhealth care bill because it did not offer us insurance. I do not want to be forced into paying for something that may be virtually worthless. Yes, based on what I read of the bill, it was a 2000 page piece of garbage with enough pork in it to keep politicians living off the fat for years.

I've not limited my search to IT - that would be worthless because all those jobs are going overseas. I cannot be a cashier, though I'm certainly able to do it. I cannot be a salesperson. I cannot be a lot of things.

Yes, I'm trying to do odd jobs on the side but odd jobs during a depression gets you free lunches - sometimes. That's not enough to survive.

Finding a state that's not overrun by people from other countries taking low paying jobs is tough. Finding a state that's "healthy" is impossible.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:15 PM

34,670 posts, read 33,671,635 times
I hate to keep bringing it up but North Dakota had less than 4% unemployment the last time I checked and their economy is booming and it's all because of oil.

"Job Service North Dakota (JSND) reported that labor statistics released Friday, Dec. 17 show North Dakota’s November not seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 3.3 percent. The rate is 0.5 percentage points higher than prior month (2.8 percent), and 0.4 percentage points below November of prior year, (3.7 percent). The national rate in November was 9.3 percent.

Job Service North Dakota

"North Dakota’s oil patch, which has helped the state boast a near billion-dollar budget surplus and a booming economy, has been voted the state’s top news story of 2010 by print and broadcast members of The Associated Press."

AP: Oil voted top story | The Jamestown Sun | Jamestown, North Dakota

Oil production in North Dakota is projected to hit a record 110 million barrels this year.

"The tax on all that oil will dump $700 million into state coffers this year. And, it`s expected to rise to $1 billion next year. Sen. Connie Triplett, D-Grand Forks, said: 'A number of people have suggested that we should reduce, pretty much, every kind of tax. And, I think in this session we will have bills proposing to reduce or eliminate a variety of other taxes.'"

Oil Revenue Causes Lawmakers to Consider Cutting Taxes on KFYR-TV North Dakota's NBC News Leader

"Taxable sales have remained strong in 2010. Unemployment has remained low, never reaching above 5 percent. 'All three of our state’s metro areas are by far the healthiest in the nation,' said Michael Ziesch, a labor market analyst with Job Service North Dakota. 'We’re leading the pack by quite a stretch.'”

Old 12-28-2010, 03:14 PM

That's really good info to pass on. Unfortunately, I want it all. We live in Asheville and moved from NY but right now, there's not much difference in the weather. If I was 20 years younger, I'd go west. Again, I will put your info out there for others. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or