U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:57 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,451,169 times

Advertisements

Anywhere south of Ohio, west of the Dakotas. Illinois being a corner for those lines.

I like snow, cool summers, and hate cold without snow therefore the south is out.

NorCal and the PDX-SEA corridor may be bearable. If it's not gonna be snowy I want 60s-70s at the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 11:20 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times
Albuquerque, NM

6 months of sweating, burning, and dermatologist appointments to map the growth of skin lesions on your body and looking at the ground so as not to be blinded by the ever-present radioactive globe of the sun.

You must pour precious drinking water piped in from far away places on your patch of gravelly dirt to even get desert plants to grow, otherwise you have nothing but brown, poisonous weeds and various invasion species native to the desolate wastelands of the rest of the world.

Could be worse. Could be Phoenix which is routinely about 20 degrees hotter.

On the other hand, there seem to be a lot of people who absolutely love the climate described above!

:-)

Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,565,147 times
It's really subjective... The only region of the country I wouldn't consider is the desert southwest. I was in Vegas before and it was over 100 degrees... at midnight, and around 120 in the day.. No thanks. I also need my greenery and water. It's like a triple negative, don't like the weather, don't like the scenery, landlocked.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:22 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,113,139 times
I end up complaining about the winter in Chicago and the midwest, and then I complain about the heat and humidity in the summer. But I love when the weather changes. I love breaking out my boots and hoodies/sweaters in the fall. Then the shorts and t-shirts in the spring...I wouldn't want to live in Phoenix or Vegas where people walk around in shorts in Feb.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:33 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,238,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I end up complaining about the winter in Chicago and the midwest, and then I complain about the heat and humidity in the summer. But I love when the weather changes. I love breaking out my boots and hoodies/sweaters in the fall. Then the shorts and t-shirts in the spring...I wouldn't want to live in Phoenix or Vegas where people walk around in shorts in Feb.
People don't walk around in shorts in February in Las Vegas. What many people do not know is that Las Vegas is at 2000 feet elevation and can get pretty chilly during winter, especially at night. Vegas is definitely very hot from late spring into early autumn but otherwise it is fairly comfortable. Phoenix is further south and lower in elevation so winters are warmer but very comfortable. In-fact wintertime in Phoenix is one of the nicest areas in the nation and why so many "snow birds" spend winter there.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:44 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,565,147 times
thats true, it is supposed to snow tomorrow in las vegas and will be below freezing.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:46 PM

300 posts, read 919,288 times
I'd have to say Miami, ive lvied there for a while.

Miami has the WORST weather ever, its so humid and hot and humid and humid and did I mention its hot and humid. And hurricanes, and humidity.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:23 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,830,197 times
I think lack of variety is the key to a city being the worst. In this sense, strangely, San Diego probably is the worst. (I know, most think it is the best), but really, high temps that range only from 60-80 throughout the year could get tiresome. Honolulu may be similiar, even with a more narrow range. I say this of course tongue in cheek, as most would seemingly hope for a climate like this. My point is that variety is much more interesting, and while uncomfortable, tends to attract me more than these "moderate" cities. Just me.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:22 PM

28 posts, read 25,855 times
The South is pretty bad (Florida, Louisiana, etc.)
These places seem to get both tornados and hurricanes.

California is also not the best weather place, since they get floods, droughts, typhoons, earthquakes, and wildfires.

The midwest is known for tornados, obviously.

The most depressing place to live weather-wise is Cleveland. Hardly any sunny days, a lot of snow, cold weather, etc. Plus, we get tornados sometimes, too.

The safest place to live would be the northeast. Hardly any tornadoes or hurricanes. Occasionally floods and blizzards though. Other than that, you're safe.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:27 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,167,283 times
Fargo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.