U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:47 PM

23,787 posts, read 15,782,780 times
Question Worst Cities for weather?

There are many different weather factors that play into why one city or another is less desirable then another, weve got tornadoes, blizzards, wind, rain, flooding, earth quakes and more. Some cities seem to be located in great areas and avoid things like flooding but then seem to have a bad location for strong winds and cold weather; give up one and suffer from another problem.

What city would you avoid and why?

Oklahoma City and Tulsa seem to be in the tornado alley every summer, whereas Chicago has strong cold winds during the winter. Id prefer to avoid them for those reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 05:11 PM

711 posts, read 582,795 times
Miami, Florida = I wouldn't live in a Hurricane prone city.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:31 PM

933 posts, read 953,687 times
It's only based on preference. Most of the time the weather element is over-played, for sure. Anybody could make any place seem like a barren, hostile location. Most places in the United States are very temperate compared to the rest of the world. In the continental US, the winters are usually not bad for more than a month or two in the far north and nor more unbearable than two to three months in the summer down south. Most places in the world have more extreme climates than we do here, but we do seem to act like a bunch of pansies here.

I do happen to really like the Nebraska climate. We rarely drop below twenty in the winter, but if we do it doesn't phase me too much. In the summer we barely break ninety degrees, but if we do I am not too concerned either.

We also have a very unique, exciting springtime climate that experiences the most awe-inspiring glimpses the earth has to offer. Although I wish we had more like they do from north Texas to south-central Nebraska.

I think people here are a little silly in this country when it comes to climate.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:23 PM

6,916 posts, read 4,711,328 times
San Francisco probably has the most tame weather out of any city, if you can deal with the foggy conditions at times.

That said, I personally like "extreme" weather. I would die of boredom if I live anywhere outside of the midwest.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:17 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,208,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
San Francisco probably has the most tame weather out of any city, if you can deal with the foggy conditions at times.

That said, I personally like "extreme" weather. I would die of boredom if I live anywhere outside of the midwest.
You would most definitely be bored in California. Los Angeles & San Diego only vary in temperature from winter to summer by 16 degrees [LA] and 12 degrees [San Diego]. Rain storms during winter and that is it except coastal clouds on summer mornings.

To me the worse weather for cities would be Seattle during winter for non-stop rain and clouds to Phoenix during summer for non-stop heat and sun. But a city with the worst 12-month long weather would probably be somewhere in the South where it is hot and humid during summer and cloudy and cold during winter.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 PM

5,409 posts, read 9,173,075 times
I'm thinking several cities in Florida would be on the list - and not only because of hurricane season. I'd also include cities near the Gulf Coast in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. I've closely monitored the weather there for the last few years and am amazed by the frequency of unpredictable violent storms and tornadoes.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,449,892 times
Desert cities are far too hot in the summer for me and anywhere in the non-mountainous Southeast is too hot and humid for me. I'm very wimpy when it comes to heat, so the less of it I have to deal with, the better off I am.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,018,041 times
anywhere in the pacific northwest

Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,323,921 times
Anywhere in the Northeast or Midwest. No Snowy Cities or Gray and Ugly. Ugh. I guess cause I'm a sunshine baby anyway.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:35 AM

3,544 posts, read 4,664,177 times
this is all very subjective...

IMO, a city where the weather is generally the same year-round is not desireable. I love seasonal changes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.