U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 20,782 times

Advertisements

im 19 years old, from michigan, and looking to move away. i am considering in this order, utah, colorado, wyoming. i am looking for personal experience with people living in these places. i want to know which is best for being outdoors. since im from michigan, i NEED to have fresh water close by. i also like to snowboard, hike, camp, pretty much anything active outdoors. i like going to nation parks and do some sight seeing. i would prefer to have a warm summer, and a warmer winter, but be able to go snowboarding in the mountains.

just list where youre from/were from and list from your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 12:07 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times
Caveat: I live in New Mexico and moved out here for similar reasons to those stated in your post. I have visited and backpacked/skied in the states you mentioned and have friends in the major cities of those states.

If you want to live in a warm climate but have reasonably close access to snowy mountains I would suggest looking into southern California but you are not going to find significant fresh water there.

If you want to move out west and have much freshwater nearby you are going to be sorely disappointed. Most of what passes for lakes out here would be called mud puddles back east. Most of the bigger lakes are saline and or muddy and not well suited for fishing, canoeing, etc. Many of them that do have 'recreation' are mainly used for powerboating, jetskis, etc.

That said, you might look into Bozeman, MT. It's proximity to Wyoming's Yellowstone Park and the lake there may satisfy you and frankly, Yellowstone is awesome especially for a National Park (I prefer the more undeveloped and less tourist hoarded National Forests). There is also a lot of good skiing in the area but it is a small town. Endless opportunities for backcountry recreation, though.

Another option may be Reno, Nevada for its proximity to Lake Tahoe. It is high desert (read cold but not brutal winter) and is also surrounded by backcountry.

Decent sized rivers in the montane west are farther apart, most of those blue lines on the map can practically be hopped across on rock without getting your feet wet. Where Rivers are concerned your best bet would be the Pacific States, northern CA and north but you mentioned Rocky Mountain states so...

It sounds like Utah would fit the bill best for what you mention but keep in mind that Salt Lake City, is not that warm, it gets snowstorms, etc. Forget about the Great Salt Lake.

Denver has better winter weather (sun) but gets blizzards. The other towns of Colorado are higher up in the mountains and get colder and more snow.

I can't tell you much about Wyoming except for Yellowstone which I addressed above.

You may also want to look into Albuquerque or Santa Fe. Both have proximity to the Rockies and other ranges and while Santa Fe can get cold, it is usually dry. Of course proximity to freshwater is still an issue.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:52 PM

326 posts, read 722,924 times
move to florida the weather is better there anywayz

Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,401,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synix View Post
im 19 years old, from michigan, and looking to move away. i am considering in this order, utah, colorado, wyoming. i am looking for personal experience with people living in these places. i want to know which is best for being outdoors. since im from michigan, i NEED to have fresh water close by. i also like to snowboard, hike, camp, pretty much anything active outdoors. i like going to nation parks and do some sight seeing. i would prefer to have a warm summer, and a warmer winter, but be able to go snowboarding in the mountains.

just list where youre from/were from and list from your experiences.
This question could really affect answers:

How close to a large city do you want to be?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,991 times
Bend Oregon! Osu-cascades campus. Sunny,20 miles to mt bachelor. only downside is not too many jobs... Live off student loans thats what im gonna do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or