U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:52 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,509,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Just wondering if you can tell someone's from the south by the way they pronounce certain words and what words they are? I am well aware that there are many different southern accents so just tell me what fits your area or other areas if you know them. Also try to do one's that aren't that stereotypical and that are spoken by younger people if you can. I've heard plenty of famous older people and such with distinctive southern accents but I don't know of too many famous young people with it so I'm wondering? Some examples I've seen are pronouncing Time like tom, mind like mond, want and on almost like wont and own, can't like caint?, right kinda like rott, back like bike, dog like dohg, talk like toke, etc. Am I right?
I got laughed at one time by some Canadian friends for saying, "Mell" for "Mail". I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life. But, at the same time, I've been laughed at by locals by my "correct" pronunciation of words like "Whale" and "Wheat". I put a slight "h" sound in it like it's supposed to. I guess I've just got a miss-mash of various dialects since I live in the middle of the country. But, I'd say that I do have a definite "twang" when it comes to my everyday speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM

346 posts, read 756,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani NC View Post
The first ones are ways I pronounce words (and many other people here do too)

Can't = Cayn't
Man = Mane, Mayne
On = Own
There = Theyuh or Dayuh
Here = Heeyuh
(basically any word with -ere at the end is pronounced with a -yuh sound)

These are others I hear people within my area pronounce, but I don't say them like this. These are how people with the thick or extreme accents pronounce stuff

Straight = Scraight
Strawberry = Strawburry, Strawburr or Scrawberry, Scrawburr
Cherry = Churry
Berry = Burry
Beer = Burr
Mary = Murry or Mur (I thought my aunt's name was Mur until i was 9 because that's how everyone says it and i had never seen it written down until then...come to find out it was Mary. So yeah...)

Alright = Aight
I don't Know = I'on know
About, Bout = Burt
etc.

This is pretty similar to the central va and southside va accent as far as the pronunciations you have listed (757 also for some people). I notice a lot of people in Va say curry (carry), burry (berry), necessury (necessary), etc. I guess that particular pronunciation extends from parts of NC to the DC area because I know they pronounce those words similar also. The theyuh (there), heyuh (here) thing is spot on for southside/central va also. Another thing I hear a lot from AA's in VA is words such as other are shortened to the uhh. Example: He was about to go to the store the uhh day. Just anuhhh (another) day(I personally don't say this). I will say one difference from people in VA is car is pronounced like cah like 7cities mentioned earlier. I have never heard the about pronunciation like you posted in VA neither. About sounds more like aboat (abote) for some people.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,703,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I got laughed at one time by some Canadian friends for saying, "Mell" for "Mail". I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life. But, at the same time, I've been laughed at by locals by my "correct" pronunciation of words like "Whale" and "Wheat". I put a slight "h" sound in it like it's supposed to. I guess I've just got a miss-mash of various dialects since I live in the middle of the country. But, I'd say that I do have a definite "twang" when it comes to my everyday speech.
>>>>>
But, I'd say that I do have a definite "twang" when it comes to my everyday speech.
<<<<<

A very good thing. Don't ever lose that Oklahoma twang.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,664,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Wait; there is a different in pronunciation of Mell and Mail?? I say them just alike.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 PM

1,968 posts, read 3,577,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes it does. Ever been to Florida? I think the OP mentioned that because he hears it constantly. I have family all over Florida. "Back" does indeed sound like "bike" and it's more prevalent in Central Florida. But that is how they pronounce back.
That's strange. I grew up in Central Florida and have never heard back pronounced that way.

Anyway, my accent's pretty general but I do say "turrist" for tourist, "surrup" for syrup and pecan is pee-can. My accent gets thicker depending on who I'm talking to/where I am.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:03 PM

12,356 posts, read 18,221,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani NC View Post
The first ones are ways I pronounce words (and many other people here do too)

Can't = Cayn't
Man = Mane, Mayne
On = Own
There = Theyuh or Dayuh
Here = Heeyuh
(basically any word with -ere at the end is pronounced with a -yuh sound)

These are others I hear people within my area pronounce, but I don't say them like this. These are how people with the thick or extreme accents pronounce stuff

Straight = Scraight
Strawberry = Strawburry, Strawburr or Scrawberry, Scrawburr
Cherry = Churry
Berry = Burry
Beer = Burr
Mary = Murry or Mur (I thought my aunt's name was Mur until i was 9 because that's how everyone says it and i had never seen it written down until then...come to find out it was Mary. So yeah...)

Alright = Aight
I don't Know = I'on know
About, Bout = Burt
etc.
Where are you from?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 PM

92 posts, read 154,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Where are you from?
North Carolina. (in northern piedmont NC on the va border)

Old 03-01-2011, 01:53 AM

699 posts, read 1,008,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
This is pretty similar to the central va and southside va accent as far as the pronunciations you have listed (757 also for some people). I notice a lot of people in Va say curry (carry), burry (berry), necessury (necessary), etc. I guess that particular pronunciation extends from parts of NC to the DC area because I know they pronounce those words similar also. The theyuh (there), heyuh (here) thing is spot on for southside/central va also. Another thing I hear a lot from AA's in VA is words such as other are shortened to the uhh. Example: He was about to go to the store the uhh day. Just anuhhh (another) day(I personally don't say this). I will say one difference from people in VA is car is pronounced like cah like 7cities mentioned earlier. I have never heard the about pronunciation like you posted in VA neither. About sounds more like aboat (abote) for some people.

Yeah I've heard a lot of these in Florida and it's usually AA's. It's really the only southern accent I've been exposed toThey don't do the urr thing but a lot say "heayuh" and all that. I don't even know what white southern accents are supposed to sound like do you have any examples of what young ones would say?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:08 AM

92 posts, read 154,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Yeah I've heard a lot of these in Florida and it's usually AA's. It's really the only southern accent I've been exposed toThey don't do the urr thing but a lot say "heayuh" and all that. I don't even know what white southern accents are supposed to sound like do you have any examples of what young ones would say?
White folks in my hometown have stronger accents imo. But they don't pronounce everything the way we do.

The main thing i notice young white people do is that they just drag out the word "ya'll" and be like "yaww'lllll". I can't even think of anything they say because i guess i never paid much attention since there weren't that many. All I know is about 3 white girls i went to high school with pronounced "Daddy" as "Dade-dy" like the way you say Dade county. I don't know where they got that from because they were the only 3 people i have ever heard pronounce it like that

Old 03-01-2011, 07:35 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,509,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wait; there is a different in pronunciation of Mell and Mail?? I say them just alike.
Apparently. I was telling them that my Dad is a retired "Mellman" and they just about rolled on the floor. They had never heard anyone pronounce "mail" like "mell". I just came at them with the whole "aboot" thing. They still thought mine was funnier. I actually bought them a redneck dictionary and the dollar store or something. We had many hours of laughs over that one.

The only thing I worry about with my "twang" is that it might make me seem a little less intelligent. I hope people don't dismiss me just because I sound like a redneck even though I'm about the furthest thing from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or