Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 PM

716 posts, read 1,229,526 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if you can tell someone's from the south by the way they pronounce certain words and what words they are? I am well aware that there are many different southern accents so just tell me what fits your area or other areas if you know them. Also try to do one's that aren't that stereotypical and that are spoken by younger people if you can. I've heard plenty of famous older people and such with distinctive southern accents but I don't know of too many famous young people with it so I'm wondering? Some examples I've seen are pronouncing Time like tom, mind like mond, want and on almost like wont and own, can't like caint?, right kinda like rott, back like bike, dog like dohg, talk like toke, etc. Am I right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,688,315 times
Most of those are right, but "back" doesn't sound like "bike." "Back" sounds like "back" "Bike" on the other hand can sound almost like "back" Dog sounds like "dawg," "talk" sound like "tawk"

a lot of young people no longer have strong Southern accents. A lot of my friends do, but they're from small towns. Young people in the city have very diluted Southern accents.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 AM

276 posts, read 427,883 times
Well idk...
For an example, I pronounce "Maryland" as "Murrlynd".
or "terrible" as "turrible"
Then again I pronounce words like caught and thought like someone from Northern NJ/NYC would.
My dialect is kinda mixed up...

Old 12-30-2010, 12:11 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,524,293 times
Our = are. I tend to have a neutral accent, but this is one element that distinguishes me as Southern.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,794 times
naked=necked, pinch= peench, forest= faarest, orange=aarange, McDonald's= MacDonald's, Florida= Flaarida, instead of saying over there, its over yonder. Lunch is dinner, and dinner is supper. I'm from north/central Georgia and i've never heard anybody pronounce Time like tom, mind like mond, want and on almost like wont and own, but everywhere's different.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,261,001 times
boiled=bald, lawyer=laayer. I think the pin=pen thing is common in the South, too.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 PM

492 posts, read 1,021,103 times
I usually can tell if they are southern or not but it is sometimes hard to pinpoint which part of the south. Some pronunciations where Im from (Norfolk/Va Beach Virginia) would be....

Maryland = Mayerlen, May-ah-lan
Ball & Bald = Baw
Car= cah
Four= fowa
where, wear= wheya
Nothing= nuntin
Party= Pawty or potty
go on ahead= gon' head
Carry your= care yo
looks like= lookin' lyka

Old 02-08-2011, 01:44 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,766,734 times
Yes- I can tell which region of the South a person is from via their accent as I grew up there. Most who didn't would probably lump us all generically together. There were a few things we said that I never thought much of until I moved away- at which point I had to stop saying those things because people would stare. We used to say things like: " That will cost you buukoos of money". As it turns out, the word we were saying was French- as in "merci beaucoup" or- beaucoup, which means "Lots". We are from East TN so I can only assume somehow that word made it up from Louisiana somehow.

Other common things to say might be: " I reckon" or- Im Allright-you Allright?" , or- "Allrigtythen!"
" Well I be", "Lans Sake!" " I tell you whut!"

Old 02-08-2011, 01:59 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Most of those are right, but "back" doesn't sound like "bike." "Back" sounds like "back" "Bike" on the other hand can sound almost like "back" Dog sounds like "dawg," "talk" sound like "tawk"
Yes it does. Ever been to Florida? I think the OP mentioned that because he hears it constantly. I have family all over Florida. "Back" does indeed sound like "bike" and it's more prevalent in Central Florida. But that is how they pronounce back.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:04 PM

711 posts, read 1,137,486 times
*Thing = Thang.
*Do = Due.
*Drink = Drank.
*Old = Ole.
*Southern = Suthurn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.