Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 08:40 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

This thread has two components asking two questions:

Are New York and Los Angeles in a different stratosphere from other cities when it comes to dividing into subregions and basically villages in towns in all ways but municipally? First off, these cities divide into their own subregions with a sense of place. New York, of course, divides int boroughs (counties), where one of the outer boroughs once was a major city and even today has attributes of being the city it once was.

While Los Angeles has no official defined governmental regions like New York, its major regions (basin, valley, harbor) can be seen corresponding to Queens, Staten Island, Bronx, etc.

There seems nothing that can comparable in other US cities.

Also different in NY and LA in their boroughs/subregions are former towns and villages that still feel like separate communities they once were. Think Riverdale, Forest Hills, St. George, Westwood, Encino, San Pedro. I would contend no other city comes close to NY and LA in this distinction.

Are there neighborhoods in other US cities other than NY oo LA that still feel like the villages and towns they once were?. so obviously I’m thinking niwhere on the NY/LA scale, but that issolated examples do exist. As a Chicagoan, I might include the “college town” of Hyde Park or perhaps one time suburbs that grew on commuter rail lines like Norwood Park or Edison Park. How about in other cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 08:45 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
To a lesser extent,Boston. I’ve met people who LIVE in Boston who didn’t realize that places like Charlestown, Brighton and Jamaica Plain were actually city neighborhoods. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that the mailing address in these neighborhoods is the neighborhood name and not Boston, MA.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
To a lesser extent,Boston. I’ve met people who LIVE in Boston who didn’t realize that places like Charlestown, Brighton and Jamaica Plain were actually city neighborhoods. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that the mailing address in these neighborhoods is the neighborhood name and not Boston, MA.
History and its own location across the Charles very much gives Charlestown a sense of being a city.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:03 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Yeah I’d say so. When I was in LA often times I couldn’t tell if I was even still in LA proper or not. Some places, like Beverly Hills and West Hollywood I already knew were separate cities from LA, but overall I just found that kind of confusing since it all kind of just blends together.

In NYC you know when you’re entering/exiting the city limits, and you know when you’re crossing from one borough into another since everything for the most part is on a different island or has some sort of body of water you need to cross by bridge or tunnel, which is pretty much impossible to not notice. The only part that gets a little tricky with NYC is Eastern Brooklyn/Queens which are on the same island and have nothing that physically separates them like Newtown Creek does in the West.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:22 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Depends.

In terms of extent of subdivision, then no way. Boston is at least as micro-divided as NYC.

In terms of number of subdivisions, then yeah probably. NYC and LA are ginormous.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:30 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Yeah I’d say so. When I was in LA often times I couldn’t tell if I was even still in LA proper or not. Some places, like Beverly Hills and West Hollywood I already knew were separate cities from LA, but overall I just found that kind of confusing since it all kind of just blends together.

In NYC you know when you’re entering/exiting the city limits, and you know when you’re crossing from one borough into another since everything for the most part is on a different island or has some sort of body of water you need to cross by bridge or tunnel, which is pretty much impossible to not notice. The only part that gets a little tricky with NYC is Eastern Brooklyn/Queens which are on the same island and have nothing that physically separates them like Newtown Creek does in the West.
They still LA to everyone just like Miami Beach to Miami

Old 08-05-2018, 09:22 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Georgetown in DC.

Buckhead in Atlanta.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Hope I don't get flack for this, but if the "real" New York is Manhattan, then the "real" Los Angeles is the basin. So in the wonderful, wacky world of LA LA Land, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and West Hollywood are like full-fledged LA, all prominently located in the Basin. San Pedro way down in the harbor and Northridge in the alley are municipally part of LA....but not in the "real" LA (and again....sorry for that....I realize there is no "real" NY or "real" LA)

So Beverly Hills and West Hollywood are "of the city" but not in it, while San Pedro and Northridge are "in the city" but not of it. (ok....sorry again for that one)

Old 08-05-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Georgetown in DC.

Buckhead in Atlanta.
Georgetown is so much the product of the historical independent city it was. I suspect that many people actually think the "George" in Georgetown was Washington. Obviously Georgetown predates Washington by many years.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:16 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:

I even find there to be an immediate change of vibe going across the Queens/Nassau border. Not just the iconic NYC traffic lights, but I find that pretty quickly it starts feeling urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.