U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 08:14 AM

71 posts, read 394,089 times

Advertisements

Now, first I want to say that I do NOT want this to turn into a forum about opinions on pitbulls. That is NOT what I am posting about. What I AM posting about is this. I am a grad student who will be doing pharmacy rotations during the entire 2008-2009 school year. I have the opportunity to go wherever I want to for these. I LOVE the mountains and I'd like to go somewhere out West that has great views of the mountains and lots of opportunities for outdoor activities/recreation (like hiking, camping, dog parks, etc...). I have two large dogs that are 'pitbull' type dogs, so I need a city that does not have Breed Specific Legislation laws that ban these types of dogs from city (ie. Denver has very strict BSL within their city limits). Also a city with a dog park or two would be fantastic. I would prefer somewhere where the weather will be sunny/clear most of the time as opposed to rainy (but I don't mind snow). I can really go out during any season and if I can only go out for a short period of time I will probably try to go July to November or so. However, I may get to stay for the entire year, and in that case I would like to be somewhere within a 2 hour or so drive to a ski resort/mountain because I love to snowboard. I don't necessarily need a gigantic, happening metro, in fact I would prefer a smaller city, but I would like there to be somewhat of a younger crowd and nightlife there (I will be 25 when I go). Also, there needs to be a fair amount of pharmacies and/or hospitals in the area or within a 30 minute commute so that I have rotation opportunities. Therefore I can't live in a tiny, sleepy town and I would prefer not to be in some suburb that consists of all families with young children. I want a place where the people are friendly and there is a community vibe.

I know that this sounds VERY specific, but I am hoping that someone can help me make my decision or bring to light new places that I was not aware of! I have been doing a lot of researching and up to this point I have really been focusing on either Colorado Springs or Boulder. I would love some opinions on any areas like this in some of the other Western states that I might not know about. Cost of living is not an issue because I have plenty of student loans and I don't mind paying more since I will only have this opportunity for a short period of time! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 08:36 AM

157 posts, read 632,475 times
SoCal seems to allow Pitbulls almost everywhere as long as they are behaved. I have about 5-6 of them in my neighborhood, which is very densely populated, but in a nice area of Orange County. L.A. and San Diego have great schools and nightlife for a young person. People are very friendly in SoCal, especially the women!!!

We are close to Big Bear (1.5-2 hour drive) also a Short flight to Utah or Lake Tahoe will get you better snow.

However, I feel it is my duty to tell you not to move to SoCal or California at all, for it is too congested as is and way overpriced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or