U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:52 PM

6 posts, read 7,031 times

Advertisements

I am an early 20's single female, (white but not like that matters!) trying to find out where I might be a good fit! I was born in raised in Richmond, Va, lived in all parts from the middle of nowhere to center of the worst part of the city..so I'm versatile. I am an independent and creative thinker, and not religious or strongly political. I am graduating soon as an RN with a bachelors, and experience in Med-Surg, so I will need to be near a decent hospital. I'm not super organic or green...but I don't mind those who are.

Ideally, I would love a place:
-about the same size as Richmond (pop 200.000), or smaller (maybe 100-150.000)
-I love the outdoors (snowboarding, (SNOW period), rock climbing, hiking, camping)
-not a lot of heat, please! Like sun, don't mind too much the clouds; Norwegian lineage=don't really mind the cold! I love snow! not a ton, but I could do for a decent blanket. I have a volvo. No 4 wheel drive :P
-Music and arts are important to me. I am an avid concert attendee, everything from death metal to folk
-I don't have to be in the middle of the city, but I don't want to be totally isolated.
-Job market: I'm not moving before I lock down a job, but I don't mind persistently trying for a while if I really like an area, as I have one here in Va currently
-I have been all over the U.S., except a few states. I don't really have time to travel and visit before I need to start applying for residency. I'm a spontaneous and adaptable girl, so if I move somewhere and I hate it, I can always find a good side to it to last a year or two

Places I have considered: Portland (OR), Salt Lake City, Missoula (MO).

Any other suggestions? THANKS!

Last edited by monosyllabik; 01-01-2011 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: adding more info, kind of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,457 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Don't know what you consider a 'ton' of snow, but maybe Grand Rapids MI?
I haven't lived up that way in years but it's beautiful part of the country with lovely summers and snowy winters. It's not too far from Lake Michigan if you also enjoy beaches and water sports. I keep in contact with a friend who still lives there and he raves about what a great place it is to live, seeming to meet most of your criteria.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,450,325 times
Cleveland, Holland/Grand Rapids, Minneapolis. All are slightly larger but still great. Also check out Peoria, Toledo, Akron, Traverse City (MI), Madison (WI, you'd LOVE it)

Madison sounds perfect now that I think about it. Artsy, open minded, cool summers, loads of recreational opportunities, regular stop on tours, safe, good economy.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:15 AM

Great responses, I really appreciate your input! I will definitely look into the mentioned areas!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:20 AM

56,540 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Pretty much any Upstate NY metro that is close to the Adirondacks or Catskills. I'd say you probably would like the Syracuse or Albany-Schenectady-Troy areas.

Central New York Healthcare

Capital Region Jobs in Healthcare - Nursing

The Westcott Theater

Syracuse New Times

Metroland Online - The Alternative Newsweekly of New York's Capital Region

ILOVENY | The Official New York State Tourism Site-Home

and much more.....

Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 AM

Thanks!
DubbleT, I see that you are in TN. I went through Chattanooga one time and LOVED it. What do you think of the city? Is there any good snow around those parts?

Also, I didn't previously mention, I'm a mountain girl. I love em. I'd really love a city somewhere near some giant rocks.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 AM

There's also smaller alternatives like these areas: Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.
Glens Falls, NY - Official Website

Saratoga County Chamber Of Commerce: The Official Saratoga Springs NY Online Guide!
Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate
City of Saratoga Springs
SPAC–Saratoga Performing Arts Center (Both of these cities are within minutes of each other and Sarartoga Springs is technically in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro, while Glens Falls is in it's own smaller metro).

Home The Getaway Region - Oneida County New York
City of Utica, Home
Welcome to the City of Rome, NY - Official City Site
Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide
Stanley Center for the Arts - Community Arts, The Stanley Theatre, Arts in Education. Utica, New York.
The Electric Company - The Best Place to See Live Music in Utica, NY - Saranac Beer - Saranac thursday after party

City of Plattsburgh
Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce
Careers
LakePlacid.com - Invent Your Own Perfect Day (close by)
Welcome to Saranac Lake, New York! (also close by)
Olive Ridley's: Plattsburgh NY
NCCCA Arts Center
(It's only an hour south of Montreal and across Lake Champlain from Burlington VT)

http://hospitals.nyhealth.gov/

Old 01-03-2011, 11:07 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
I'm not sure why you're considering Portland and Salt Lake City if you want a place with less than 200,000 people. SLC has over a million and PDX has over 2 million. It doesn't snow much in Portland either.

Missoula is a good idea, but consider Spokane/Coeur d'Alene too.

You might want to consider Provo, Grand Junction, or Colorado Springs as well.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:15 AM

I know those are large cities, I'm not totally opposed to them. I think my preference is to smaller, but I've never lived in a large city and who knows how I might feel. My main reason for looking at those cities was for their proximities to the outdoor recreation world, and they have great hospitals in those areas, as well.

Thanks for your input, I will look into those areas as well.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I'm not sure why you're considering Portland and Salt Lake City if you want a place with less than 200,000 people. SLC has over a million and PDX has over 2 million. It doesn't snow much in Portland either.

Missoula is a good idea, but consider Spokane/Coeur d'Alene too.

You might want to consider Provo, Grand Junction, or Colorado Springs as well.
From what I read was that the OP wanted the city proper to have around 100-200,000 people, but I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or