U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:13 PM

14 posts, read 22,429 times

Advertisements

Hi I am in my 20s and looking to move to durham or atlanta for grad school. I am from California. Which one do you think will be an easier adjustment from California?

what are the pros and cons for each? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 04:09 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,069,652 times
Kinda depends on you to be honest. You gave no information other than age for people to use to give you advice.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:32 PM

49 posts, read 155,092 times
I have lived in both cities (Atlanta for 10 years and Durham for 3) and I prefer Durham over Atlanta. First and foremost should be the school that you're attending - you should definitely go to the school that is the best fit for your interests.

Other than that - Atlanta is a huge, sprawling city with horrendous traffic. I looked at is as a large concrete city. Not a lot going on unless you're rich or you like to party. It's not exactly tourist friendly - sure, you can go to World of Coke, CNN, and the Aquarium, but really, there's not much else going on that isn't shopping, drinking, or eating. Additionally, you're not really close to any other interesting city if you want to go away for a weekend (Durham is 3 hours away from Myrtle Beach, 5 hours away from DC, etc).

While both cities are in the South, Durham is more liberal than Atlanta (not sure if that's what you mean about comparing it to California).

Old 01-02-2011, 07:30 PM

how about in terms of diversity? I am Asian American and when I visited, both places seem very different. I am concerned with culture shock coming from California.

There is mention of Durham is more liberal. Is that just true for the city of Durham vs Atlanta or is that consistent with the other cities in the state?

I like to work out outside and in terms of weather are they pretty similar?

how is the quality of life?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
I am not sure if Durham is really more liberal(maybe at a micro level), its small time and country areas around it might get in the way of that. Not that ATL doesn't have country areas around it, but ATL is a 5+ mil metro and I imagine more transplants over all. I don't really like the layout of ATL but I'm sure I could find stuff to do there... Durham.. .eh, don't think I could mentally handle it.

What are the schools, where do you live now? What are your extracurriculur interests?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:18 AM

919 posts, read 2,100,211 times
Yes, which town do you live in now?

If you like the sprawl of Southern Cal, then Atlanta is the place for you. If you want something a bit more funky, like anything in the Bay Area or south through Big Sur, then Durham will be it. I'll warn you now, though, we're not as beautiful as Big Sur. We're only 3 hours or so from the mountains, though.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:40 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,196,146 times
Atlanta is a very liberal city contrary to popular belief on C-D. In addition, if you become bored in this city it is because you are a boring person. There is always something going on in Atlanta (Atlanta Events, Atlanta Restaurants, Atlanta Concerts, Atlanta News | Creative Loafing Atlanta).

In addition, Atlanta has a larger Asian community than Durham and some top notch schools in the city (GA Tech, Emory, Morehouse, Spellman and much more). I think you should visit both for at least 2 weeks and then decide.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM

23,050 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Atlanta is a very liberal city contrary to popular belief on C-D. In addition, if you become bored in this city it is because you are a boring person. There is always something going on in Atlanta (Atlanta Events, Atlanta Restaurants, Atlanta Concerts, Atlanta News | Creative Loafing Atlanta).

In addition, Atlanta has a larger Asian community than Durham and some top notch schools in the city (GA Tech, Emory, Morehouse, Spellman and much more). I think you should visit both for at least 2 weeks and then decide.
Here's the first post on this thread that approximates the truth of the matter.
Durham more liberal than Atlanta? In what parallel universe?
To the OP: In a major metropolitan area with a population approaching six million, you can certainly find your place if a little legwork is involved.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:32 PM

964 posts, read 2,045,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calswim View Post
how about in terms of diversity? I am Asian American and when I visited, both places seem very different. I am concerned with culture shock coming from California.

There is mention of Durham is more liberal. Is that just true for the city of Durham vs Atlanta or is that consistent with the other cities in the state?

I like to work out outside and in terms of weather are they pretty similar?

how is the quality of life?
Durham is more liberal overall. Chapel Hill - right next door - is Northern California liberal. Durham retains more of a Southern vibe, though it's an arty, funky variation on that vibe.

Overall demographics are somewhat similar - they both have large African-American middle class communities that are very deeply rooted. Parts of Durham are arty as hell, which may or may not be an attraction. Durham is also a bit more navigable - smaller city, though with Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham, Cary, Raleigh and some smaller towns adjoining, you still have a metro of well over a million folks. Not close to Atlanta in size, but still big enough to have plenty to do. International airport, so getting back to the West Coast isn't an issue.

If you're into the arts, Durham has a couple large annual film festivals. The Full Frame Documentary Fest is the largest Doc Fest in the world. There's a very, very large grassroots arts community - tons of writers, indie filmmakers, indie rock bands, galleries. It's really a vast, vast scene. Big foodie / locavore scene as well; there was a Bon Appetit feature a year or so ago that really dug deeply into that side of local culture. There's a small, but kinda hipsterish jazz scene (Branford Marsalis lives in town) in the area.

Drive distances: Charlotte (2.5 hours), Atlanta (6 hours), DC (5 hours), Richmond (~3 hours), various beaches (2-3 hours), NC Blue Ridge (3-4 hours, depending on location).

Durham's greater metro has - as a percentage of population - the highest Asian American concentration between DC and Houston, and while it's nothing like the West Coast, there are still very visible communities in Durham, Chapel Hill and Cary. It's mostly tied to the universities - I think UNC and Duke both have some very strong international outreach and exchange programs, though it's also tied to Research Triangle Park, r&d stuff. The local Indian community has definitely put down roots; there's a lot of Indian-owned and oriented businesses in the area, in Cary in particular. This is not necessarily true of other Asian ancestries in the area. There are several large arthouse theaters in the area that program international film pretty much 24-7; the Carolina in downtown Durham programs both Hollywood and international classics; things like a Godard series and a Kurosawa retrospective played over the summer.

Ultimately it should come down to the best school for what you want to do. The Atlanta area has some dynamite universities.

The Triangle culture isn't necessarily the most well-rounded - it's very, very heavily slanted towards techies, academics, and hipsters here, so if you aren't very comfortable in any of those niches, it might seem a little dull. If you do fit into those worlds, it's definitely going to seem like a remarkable metro, given it's relative smallness.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:20 PM

I am from Northern California- Bay Area.

I am looking to study medicine and I am really into the outdoors and being active. I am not into the whole bar scene but I value convenience (close to grocery stores etc), accessibility and acceptance of people from different cultures. I am also considering Washington DC which I feel pretty strong about too. All schools are top ranked with maybe the one in North Carolina slightly higher.. but I have spoke with people and they mentioned that ranking doesnt help with jobs or anything like that.

Primary concern is just culture shock and adjustment since I have never lived outside of the bay area. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.