U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:11 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,654,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
...this is pretty rare outside of large cities. You want this Norman Rockwell image of America that does not exist anymore.

I know of only one small town that has this, and it's in Ohio, of all places.
Rare, but not impossible. Even in the smaller city where I reside (daytime population is approximately 200,000 + many more in the suburbs), you can walk to/along an award-winning, tree-lined Main Street, multiple grocery stores, dozens of eclectic shops, dozens of great local restaurants, lots of art studios and galleries, several theatres (including a top notch concert hall), multiple history museums, a large, high quality children's museum, a large arena for indoor sports and special events (including pro hockey), an award-winning minor league baseball park, amazingly beautiful parks, an adorable little zoo, a paved trail system (http://greenvillerec.com/parks/swamp-rabbit/ - broken link), and more without difficulty.

Photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 02:44 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatclassygirl21 View Post
thanks for the suggestions...I'll keep them all in mind-well except for the staying in Cleveland part...we want to try somewhere new since I've been here all my life and schools are horrible. we'd have to send our kids to private school if we wanted to remain in the inner city and the suburbs are not that diverse. we're not fans of Cleveland at all (or the midwest) and would prefer to relocate...hence the post on these forums. thanks
What about suburbs like Shaker Heights, Bedford, cleveland Heights or University City?

Also, I say Ithaca could be a good choice due to being a good urban(small, but urban) school district. It covers some rural and suburban areas too. It's a college town that is close to bigger cities, but is very diverse for it's size. I'll add some more info. about it later.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 PM

31 posts, read 67,268 times
nahhh not a fan of any of the suburbs here in NE Ohio-Shaker has excellent schools but is a bit snobbish. Bedford is actually okay but definitely not Cleveland Heights...not a fan of them or University Heights either.
We're definitely against staying here in CLE for now. Me and hubby are young and want to spread our wings-I understand the economy is a bit rough and more people are choosing to stay put where they are upon graduation but the job market here in CLE for brand new college graduates (unless you're in healthcare) simply sucks. I have more friends who went away to college and never returned (though they TRIED) because they can't find jobs.

I'll mention Ithaca to my husband though, thanks!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
nahhh not a fan of any of the suburbs here in NE Ohio-Shaker has excellent schools but is a bit snobbish. Bedford is actually okay but definitely not Cleveland Heights...not a fan of them or University Heights either.
We're definitely against staying here in CLE for now. Me and hubby are young and want to spread our wings-I understand the economy is a bit rough and more people are choosing to stay put where they are upon graduation but the job market here in CLE for brand new college graduates (unless you're in healthcare) simply sucks. I have more friends who went away to college and never returned (though they TRIED) because they can't find jobs.

I'll mention Ithaca to my husband though, thanks!
Some other areas you might like are the Tidewater area of VA(VA beach, Norfolk, Hampton, etc.) and the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area of NC. Both are very popular right now for Northerners in general and there are some good schools in both areas.

As for Ithaca, here's some information you might like: Ithaca City School District - Home

Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

Cornell University

Ithaca Farmers Market

The State Theatre of Ithaca, NY

Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY

Our Lord's Temple Church Of God In Christ - Welcome To The Lamplight for the City - Ithaca, NY

Calvary Baptist Church in Ithaca, NY - Rev. Nathaniel Wright Pastor

St James AME Zion

Greater Ithaca Activities Center - Ithaca¬* (http://www.ci.ithaca.ny.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=%7B40F60521-3F11-4AE4-9B0E-97AC1D61C2B6%7D - broken link)

Ithaca¬*

As far as the Northeast, you might like these areas too:
The Town of Bloomfield, CT
Bloomfield, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bloomfield Public Schools

Town of Windsor Connecticut Homepage
Windsor, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windsor Public Schools

CMVNY.COM
Mount Vernon, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mount Vernon City School District (http://www.mtvernoncsd.org/ - broken link)

Baldwin, Nassau County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Baldwin Schools
Baldwin Chamber of Commerce

New Rochelle, NY
New Rochelle, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
City School District of New Rochelle - Homepage

City of White Plains
White Plains, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
White Plains Public Schools (http://www.wpcsd.k12.ny.us/wpps/site/default.asp - broken link)

Township of West Orange¬*
West Orange, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
West Orange Public Schools Web Portal - Home

Englewood Public School District - Homepage
City of Englewood : Home
Englewood, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Home Page | Village of Nyack, NY
Nyack, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to Nyack Public Schools

Cheltenham Township
Cheltenham Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
School District of Cheltenham Township

William Penn School District
Yeadon, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeadon Borough (http://www.yeadonboro.com/government.php - broken link)

Willingboro Township
Willingboro Township, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Willingboro School District

This website is good for schools information: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,310,239 times
My wife and I are in the same position and may be moving to urban Cleveland later this spring. But I'd personally recommend Minneapolis because I love it and it has all of the things you are looking for, and in some cases it is tops in the country at them. Look into it at least, if you're earnest about finding an urban environment with good schools and safety.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
My wife and I are in the same position and may be moving to urban Cleveland later this spring. But I'd personally recommend Minneapolis because I love it and it has all of the things you are looking for, and in some cases it is tops in the country at them. Look into it at least, if you're earnest about finding an urban environment with good schools and safety.
I thought about the Twin Cities, but the only reason I didn't mention them is due to the OP's requirement of proximity to family on the East Coast.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some other areas you might like are the Tidewater area of VA(VA beach, Norfolk, Hampton, etc.) and the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area of NC. Both are very popular right now for Northerners in general and there are some good schools in both areas.

As for Ithaca, here's some information you might like: Ithaca City School District - Home

Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

Cornell University

Ithaca Farmers Market

The State Theatre of Ithaca, NY

Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY

Our Lord's Temple Church Of God In Christ - Welcome To The Lamplight for the City - Ithaca, NY

Calvary Baptist Church in Ithaca, NY - Rev. Nathaniel Wright Pastor

St James AME Zion

Greater Ithaca Activities Center - Ithaca¬* (http://www.ci.ithaca.ny.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=%7B40F60521-3F11-4AE4-9B0E-97AC1D61C2B6%7D - broken link)

Ithaca¬*

As far as the Northeast, you might like these areas too:
The Town of Bloomfield, CT
Bloomfield, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bloomfield Public Schools

Town of Windsor Connecticut Homepage
Windsor, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windsor Public Schools

CMVNY.COM
Mount Vernon, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mount Vernon City School District (http://www.mtvernoncsd.org/ - broken link)

Baldwin, Nassau County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Baldwin Schools
Baldwin Chamber of Commerce

New Rochelle, NY
New Rochelle, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
City School District of New Rochelle - Homepage

City of White Plains
White Plains, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
White Plains Public Schools (http://www.wpcsd.k12.ny.us/wpps/site/default.asp - broken link)

Township of West Orange¬*
West Orange, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
West Orange Public Schools Web Portal - Home

Englewood Public School District - Homepage
City of Englewood : Home
Englewood, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Home Page | Village of Nyack, NY
Nyack, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to Nyack Public Schools

Cheltenham Township
Cheltenham Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
School District of Cheltenham Township

William Penn School District
Yeadon, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeadon Borough (http://www.yeadonboro.com/government.php - broken link)

Willingboro Township
Willingboro Township, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Willingboro School District

This website is good for schools information: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Here's another area you might like: Malverne Union Free School District
Lakeview, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 PM

31 posts, read 67,268 times
the VA Beach area is significantly cheaper than DC so it's definitely worth a look at. Also have a cousin in Raleigh and he loves it there! So those are 2 more places to consider jobs in. My sister in law is asking me to REALLY consider PG County, where she lives at so thats a possibility as well (even though I know many folks on here don't recommend PG county, it's the wealthiest county in the nation for African Americans and their graduation rate FAR exceeds the ones here in Cleveland)...Baldwin NY sounds intriguing so I'll check that area out too. But for now, the Tidewater area and PG county seem to be the two front runners.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,654,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Rare, but not impossible. Even in the smaller city where I reside (daytime population is approximately 200,000 + many more in the suburbs), you can walk to/along an award-winning, tree-lined Main Street, multiple grocery stores, dozens of eclectic shops, dozens of great local restaurants, lots of art studios and galleries, several theatres (including a top notch concert hall), multiple history museums, a large, high quality children's museum, a large arena for indoor sports and special events (including pro hockey), an award-winning minor league baseball park, amazingly beautiful parks, an adorable little zoo, a paved trail system (http://greenvillerec.com/parks/swamp-rabbit/ - broken link), and more without difficulty.

Photos
I should have also included a link to videos, in case anyone was interested.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
the VA Beach area is significantly cheaper than DC so it's definitely worth a look at. Also have a cousin in Raleigh and he loves it there! So those are 2 more places to consider jobs in. My sister in law is asking me to REALLY consider PG County, where she lives at so thats a possibility as well (even though I know many folks on here don't recommend PG county, it's the wealthiest county in the nation for African Americans and their graduation rate FAR exceeds the ones here in Cleveland)...Baldwin NY sounds intriguing so I'll check that area out too. But for now, the Tidewater area and PG county seem to be the two front runners.
PG County is good, as I had 2 sisters that lived there for a while. It seems like inside the Beltway is viewed as being rougher than outside of the Beltway in PG County.

Baldwin isn't bad, but it is on Long Island and I don't know if cost of living would be an issue. Lakeview is in the Malverne Union Free SD and is a mostly Black SD that has a high graduation rate too. You also have Wheatley Heights in Suffolk County that is a solidily middle class community that is pluralistically more Black and is in the very good Half Hollow Hills SD. There's also a part of West Babylon that is a highly or mostly Black middle class area and is in the good North Babylon SD.

Also, don't forget charter schools in bigger cities, as some can be very good. Here is one example of one in Syracuse that graduated around 81% of it's kids last year(09-10) and is about 60-65% Black: Syracuse Academy of Science Charter School

Even in Buffalo, there are good public urban magnet high schools where the Black graudation rate is high or above average like these schools, with some being nationally ranked: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0600010102.pdf
City Honors School

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0600010105.pdf
Hutch-Tech High School

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0600010128.pdf
Leonardo DaVinci High School 212

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0600010097.pdf
PS 187 Buffalo Academy for Visual and Performing Arts

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0600010098.pdf
McKinley High School 305

So, there are other options out there for those that want a very urban environment and good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or