U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:49 PM

75 posts, read 125,365 times

Advertisements

I have been absolutely miserable where I live for way to long, I am 33 and I am just throwing my life away here. I have always wanted my own family but have been unlucky in that department. I am ready for a fresh start. I have looked into both the east and west coasts, although I get excited about the idea of living in San Diego because of the weather and scenery in all honesty it is not in the cards for me at this point in time. I have very little money to begin with and will be renting a room when I move. I am almost done with a bookkeeping course and will be looking for a bookkeeping job. I went to Myrtle Beach for a few months after my ex husband and I separated and absolutely loved it, but the economy was really bad and I was unable to find a job. The one thing I realized is being near the ocean is the happiest I have ever been in my entire life. It was so peaceful and I am especially interested in living somewhere where it is exceptionally beautiful but somewhere I can have a steady job and afford the basic living expenses. Other needs are safety, I come from a place where there is no violent crime, a very small town where there is nothing to do. Colleges are important as well. I have a desire to get away from the long winters but also at the same time am unsure how I would do in the southern summers. All opinions are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 01:53 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforgreatweather View Post
I have been absolutely miserable where I live for way to long, I am 33 and I am just throwing my life away here. I have always wanted my own family but have been unlucky in that department. I am ready for a fresh start. I have looked into both the east and west coasts, although I get excited about the idea of living in San Diego because of the weather and scenery in all honesty it is not in the cards for me at this point in time. I have very little money to begin with and will be renting a room when I move. I am almost done with a bookkeeping course and will be looking for a bookkeeping job. I went to Myrtle Beach for a few months after my ex husband and I separated and absolutely loved it, but the economy was really bad and I was unable to find a job. The one thing I realized is being near the ocean is the happiest I have ever been in my entire life. It was so peaceful and I am especially interested in living somewhere where it is exceptionally beautiful but somewhere I can have a steady job and afford the basic living expenses. Other needs are safety, I come from a place where there is no violent crime, a very small town where there is nothing to do. Colleges are important as well. I have a desire to get away from the long winters but also at the same time am unsure how I would do in the southern summers. All opinions are welcomed.
Myrtle Beach??? Aim higher.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:54 PM

124 posts, read 301,791 times
You need to prioritize yourself , I had been to Brunswick GA recently and I found it very good , there are beaches, relatively cheaper, however not sure about your area of work and how market is there or crime statistics to feel safe. But that was just an e.g. There will be places which are cheaper and also nice to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforgreatweather View Post

Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,052,874 times
In this economy, I wouldn't move anywhere without a JOB.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM

75 posts, read 125,365 times
With the bookkeeping course I am in there is job placement support when I am finished, I wouldn't be moving before finding a job first. Thanks for your opinions.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM

56,637 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Perhaps Virginia Beach, which is a growing city that is very safe and has a lot to do close by.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:00 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,963,866 times
Id suggest Dover, DE.
It's in a centralized location between dc and Philly, it's close to the DE/MD/NJ beaches, and it's pretty affordable for northeastern standards. It's pretty laid back and it's doing a lot of growing. It has no sales tax on anything either.

Granted, there it doesn't get much hype- but it's a nice place to live.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,794,620 times
How about the beautiful coastal cities of Oregon? I have spent alot of time in the state ... I fell in love with places like Newport, a city located on the coast ... and only 50 miles inland, the awesome college community of Corvallis, Oregon ... home to the beautiful campus of Oregon State University.

The awesome elements that you would have by moving to a western coastal area, would be the majestic beauty of the Coastal Range Mountains ... and the pacific ocean.

On the east coast, it's just all flatlands in the coastal areas, unless you choose Maine ... another beautiful coastal setting.

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,111,625 times
Houston if you don't mind the high heat & humidity, which is only really an issue during the Summer months.

Fall, Winter, & Spring in Houston are very pleasant.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM

410 posts, read 700,102 times
Coastal cities are the most expensive to live. Living on a bookkeepers salary, you may have to compromise and live elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or