Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:09 AM
col col started this thread

131 posts, read 674,606 times

Advertisements

Any ideas I am exhausting this website and others trying to find a place to relocate...I need a place with milder to possibly no winters ( prefer something I guess but not a big snow person) Dry NYC winters killing me. I fair better when its above 40 in the winter. Lets answer this and then I can get into employment and schools and the arts cost of living etc.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Any ideas I am exhausting this website and others trying to find a place to relocate...I need a place with milder to possibly no winters ( prefer something I guess but not a big snow person) Dry NYC winters killing me. I fair better when its above 40 in the winter. Lets answer this and then I can get into employment and schools and the arts cost of living etc.

thank you
Pacific northwest.

Mild winters and DEFINITELY not "dry" Not much actual snow unless you get off the coast and into the mountains.

Tradeoff is a) it's pretty damn dark for most of fall/winter and b) you might go from complaining about "too dry" to "too wet."

Summers nice; moderate temps with little humidity

Employment opportunities pretty decent

Schools variable, just like everywhere else

Good arts communities, esp in Seattle and Portland areas

Cost of living high, for the most part, especially housing, but heck . . . if you're in NYC now it can only get better compared to there . . .

Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Southern Florida would be the place for you it seems. Its not overly dry (ie Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico) in winter, but juuuuust right. Not too humid, not too dry, not too cold, not too warm. Summers are hot and very humid though, but if you dislike dry, Florida is your dream-come-true. Winters in south Florida are the best in the nation, check it out.

Miami, Florida (33010) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times
PNW temps will drop below 40 degrees in winter- although in Seattle they hover around 40 (colder at night). In fact, the standard forecast for winter is "42 and raining "

PNW might be the place for you!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
What are you talking about with NYC?

It's been above 50 for almost a week now........try finding that down south

Old 01-09-2008, 11:24 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post

thank you
You pretty much have anywhere south of Richmond, VA and east of San Antonio, TX.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:40 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
What are you talking about with NYC?

It's been above 50 for almost a week now........try finding that down south

tucson weather - Google Search

As I post this it's 56 degrees, with 58% humidity. The avg. high is expected to be 64 degrees. Tomorrow the avg. high is expected to be 66 degrees, the next day: 70 degrees.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
tucson weather - Google Search

As I post this it's 56 degrees, with 58% humidity. The avg. high is expected to be 64 degrees. Tomorrow the avg. high is expected to be 66 degrees, the next day: 70 degrees.
And your highs are Miami's lows. Are we to be impressed or something?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:52 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And your highs are Miami's lows. Are we to be impressed or something?
When I was in Manhattan a couple of years ago for new years, it was 25 degrees with a strong wind, making it feel like the arctic. And Miami does not have mild winters....80 degrees is pretty extreme, but in the opposite direction. 80 degrees in January is just wrong.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
When I was in Manhattan a couple of years ago for new years, it was 25 degrees with a strong wind, making it feel like the arctic. And Miami does not have mild winters....80 degrees is pretty extreme, but in the opposite direction. 80 degrees in January is just wrong.
NYCs winters are not that horrible. They get dumped on with snow from time to time pretty good, but overall its not that bad. There have been many times Ive seen NYC temps higher than those in warmer climates, breaks things up pretty good. And while I agree that 80 degrees in January is weird, you have to remember that Miami is tropical, so thats completely normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.