U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:16 PM

606 posts, read 2,778,651 times

Advertisements

alright then, in michigan you have the sandy shores on lake michigan the dunes, the detroit river, the mackinaw island sandy beaches, and the lake st. clair sand bar. so take you viginia crap somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 04:19 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 181,759 times
i was just defending the forum, i got nothing against ya.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:36 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
true they could do much better downtown, but i recall that they do make good use of an inlet (harbor, trail, waterworks park, as i recall).

pittsburgh is bisected by two rivers that i think they could make more use of.
Actually, Pittsburgh has three rivers: the Allegheny coming down from the northeast, the Monongahela coming up (flows north) from the SE, and they join to form the Ohio, which flows northwest a ways to Beaver, PA where it bends and flows SW into the Miss. But you are right, the Mon and the Allegheny bisect the city, whereas the Ohio flows out of the city. When Pittsburgh was being settled, many steel mills were sited on the Mon and the Ohio, less so on the Allegheny. So some of the river areas don't look as nice as they could.

But it is a river city, without a doubt. There is a cruise boat, the Gateway Clipper that does all sorts of cruises up and down the rivers, also a boat for kids called the Good Ship Lollipop that does the same. Apparently, since the new stadia were built for football and baseball, one can take the Gateway Clippper or some boat to the stadiums. And there is Point State Park, with a fountain where the two rivers meet to form the third, and Ft. Pitt from the Revolutionary War days.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:52 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 181,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Actually, Pittsburgh has three rivers: the Allegheny coming down from the northeast, the Monongahela coming up (flows north) from the SE, and they join to form the Ohio, which flows northwest a ways to Beaver, PA where it bends and flows SW into the Miss. But you are right, the Mon and the Allegheny bisect the city, whereas the Ohio flows out of the city. When Pittsburgh was being settled, many steel mills were sited on the Mon and the Ohio, less so on the Allegheny. So some of the river areas don't look as nice as they could.

But it is a river city, without a doubt. There is a cruise boat, the Gateway Clipper that does all sorts of cruises up and down the rivers, also a boat for kids called the Good Ship Lollipop that does the same. Apparently, since the new stadia were built for football and baseball, one can take the Gateway Clippper or some boat to the stadiums. And there is Point State Park, with a fountain where the two rivers meet to form the third, and Ft. Pitt from the Revolutionary War days.
Don't forget about Fort Dusquene, the first settlement of modern-day Pittsburgh by the French.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:04 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Lover View Post
Don't forget about Fort Dusquene, the first settlement of modern-day Pittsburgh by the French.

It became Ft. Pitt when the Brits renamed it, but yeah, the French started it all.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,759,755 times
/\ Matching Paul Bunyans, thats stupid. You would obviously build the Blue Ox on the other side. You are right to move The Arch north too, hypotheticals suck.
/\ I actually like Scranton's waterfront. There isn't much there, but it is natural and accessable. That old bridge is stunning next to the old downtown buildings. Talk about waterfront potential.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:45 PM

333 posts, read 1,332,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post

cool. the only nice waterfront space i remember was the fort site. now that steel is gone, they should redevelop the waterfront.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,948,749 times
I have to nominate my town, Decatur, Ala., for worst use of its waterfront. We are on the Tennessee River, but industry occupies most of the riverfront. However, when that industry was persuaded to locate there, the region desperately needed jobs. We have a small park, 2 very small commercially operated boat launches, and a tiny bit of residental waterfront, and that is it. It would be a fabulous place for a yacht club, residential and bigger parks, but there's no riverfront left.
BUT...
we do have jobs.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 AM

53 posts, read 118,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Tempe Town Lake in Tempe, AZ (Phoenix metro area) has got to be one of the ugliest man-made bodies of water, with the worst planning and biggest waste of water ever constructed:

First of all, it's not a lake; it's a two mile stretch of the Salt River bed which been dry for almost 100 years (diverted to canals), which about 10 years ago, they decided to re-irrigate, using inflatable rubber dams, to create a local attraction. First of all, it's not a lake; you can't circle it-- it's a "river" lined with ugly concrete banks-- you have to go out of your way to go across a bridge just to get across. It's a magnet of mosquitos and other bugs in this dry desert. The water has a greenish color and smells horrible. The small section of Tempe Town Lake which is even halfway convenient to access, the so-called "Tempe Beach Park," is ruined with at least 4 major bridges, including a light rail and a Southern Pacific RR line crossing over in a short space. Not to mention power lines right above you and a freeway right on the other side. It is ugly and claustrophobic. A huge section of the lake borders a major parking lot for Sun Devil Stadium, and about 1 mile section of the lake, about half of the whole thing, is a complete waste, going through undevelopable land bordering a major power plant. I think you get my point now-- they tried to construct a local waterfront, but they ended up creating a monstrosity!
I agree. If the park was a lively one with different type of events going on and more user friendly it would be awesome because Mill Avenue is right there with the nightlife.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:38 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,968,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I have to nominate my town, Decatur, Ala., for worst use of its waterfront. We are on the Tennessee River, but industry occupies most of the riverfront. However, when that industry was persuaded to locate there, the region desperately needed jobs. We have a small park, 2 very small commercially operated boat launches, and a tiny bit of residental waterfront, and that is it. It would be a fabulous place for a yacht club, residential and bigger parks, but there's no riverfront left.
BUT...
we do have jobs.
Same goes for my city- Newark's waterfront is awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or