U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:25 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,088,910 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...ukee+riverwalk

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...Vj0uSCh1SeAkc#

Milwaukee has a fabulous downtown waterfront...with a river, and a lake that looks like an ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 08:12 PM

553 posts, read 485,645 times
Best: Chicago, Miami, and San Diego

Old 08-08-2015, 09:00 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,554,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Worst: Hartford, Boston, Seattle, St Louis

I've lived in Hartford for many many years and have only touched the river only a few times from the Hartford side. Interstate 91 pretty much makes it inaccessible. This interstate made it impossible for having a great waterfront.
I was in Hartford for the first time a few weeks ago to visit the Connecticut Science Center and was pretty impressed with the waterfront, actually. You've got that wide pedestrian bridge over the highway, the area with the grassy steps and the stage right in front of the river -- they were setting up for a ballet performance when I was there -- and that leads to the riverwalk that doubles as a linear sculpture garden, which I thought was pretty original. It looked like it was getting some decent use for what has a reputation as a 9-to-5 downtown, too.

I'm surprised to see Boston on the worst list, too. It always struck me as a city with a good connection to the water.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:18 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,479,021 times
Chicago actually created its Lakefront. Adding Parkland and creating Harbors. From a Grand Plan of Daniel Burnham. Industrialist like Montgomery Ward and others. Played a key roll. TO KEEP CHICAGO'S LAKEFRONT FOR THE PUBLIC GOOD AND RECREATION. Especially from INDUSTRY.

Daniel Burnham's plan the city still gains ideas from. Much from pictures came to reality today! Last picture has further Lakefront on right being turned into a wildlife refuge and eventually a reef. Many see the first 2 pictures landing at O'Hare incoming from the East flying up the coast before turning inland.

.....North Shore ... Flying over .... Original Daniel .....Scope of the .......
.....of Chicago .......Downtown .... Burnham's Plan .Lakefront Downtown
Attached Thumbnails
Best and Worst Use of waterfronts in the U.S.-chicagos-northside-shoreline-jet-ohare-.jpg   Best and Worst Use of waterfronts in the U.S.-chicagos-lakefront-flyover-.jpg   Best and Worst Use of waterfronts in the U.S.-burnhams-original-chicago-plan-.jpg   Best and Worst Use of waterfronts in the U.S.-chicago-lakefront-wih-harbors-snd-skyline_.jpg  

Old 08-09-2015, 08:13 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,031,324 times
NYC has traditionally, except for commerce, turned its back on the water but there are superb spots (some new) like Riverside Park, Battery Park City and the lower West Side upwards from Battery Park, and the Brooklyn Heights Promenade and the Brooklyn Hts Park being created on the old piers on the water.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:20 PM

4,271 posts, read 2,366,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I'm surprised to see Boston on the worst list, too. It always struck me as a city with a good connection to the water.
Being from Boston, I'm surprised as well. Yes, the harbor isn't geared toward parks and recreation but that harbor never has been. Instead hotels and commercial developments are along the harbor which makes sense considering the cost of land in Boston.

Along the Charles River, it's more residential looking over the river with plenty of parkland.

Here's the harbor in front and the river in the background:

Last edited by robr2; 08-09-2015 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: adding photo

Old 08-09-2015, 07:56 PM

3,522 posts, read 1,726,284 times
Worst Houston. I don't think you have seen anything until driving in from Galveston and east Houston you go trough nearly 20 miles of industry with lower middle class suburbs and a stink that kills, for 20+ miles of coast. The skyline of the industrial part of town is so impressive that from a distance the height and number of buildings rivals coastal downtowns across the world until you drive up and see that it is just a solid stretch of constant pollution. It is so depressing driving through that area as everything is either low density lower middle class housing or heavy industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or