U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:32 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,288,354 times

Advertisements

Obviously the northern states are more likely to be where ice skating is popular compared to southern states. There are pro ice hockey teams all over the nation but the sport isn't very popular in places like California for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 AM

13,234 posts, read 18,057,294 times
Ice skating seems to be pretty popular in Pittsburgh, from what I can tell. I'd been to the Schenley Ice Rink a few times growing up, and it was always crowded. Also, PPG Plaza gets turned into a big ice rink during the winter, and it's even larger than the ice rink at Rockefeller Center!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,355,925 times
Ice skating isn't very popular in my town in the lower Midwest

Old 01-07-2011, 01:43 PM

5,312 posts, read 5,368,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Growing up in Western NY, me and all my friends played pond hockey (real pucks, skates and full hockey equip) all the time. Also frequently went to rec center skating rink for free skate hours. Several friends even made it to professional hockey (NHL, AHL, WHL)
Skating and hockey have always been very popular in WNY. The biggest limiting factor seems to be economics as it can be an expensive sport/hobby.
Good post. I grew up in WNY also, and played hockey from 5 and up (Rochester). My grandparents had a pond that I used to play on with my uncles who were Junior Amerks players when they were younger. Lots of hockey there and on through Buffalo and into Canada.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,201,776 times
I just went out skating last night.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,073,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Pretty much everyone skates from time to time here in northern New England, but I think as an activity it's overshadowed by a lot of other winter sports and recreation, especially skiing/snowboarding, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, and sledding, roughly in that order.
I grew up in upstate New York but have lived in Minnesota for 20 years. Hockey and skating are much bigger here than they are out east, I have always assumed that it was because the skiing in the northeast was so much better than out here. In the upper Midwest hockey and skating have very little competition from other winter sports.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 PM

87,145 posts, read 103,038,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I find that interesting, as that's where I got my first taste of ice skating! Colorado is also home to the United States Figure Skating Association (USFSA); they have a nice museum at their HQ in Colorado Springs. It was also where a lot of the serious skaters used to go to train (maybe still do?) with the top coaches. I still remember watching Jill Trenary practicing at the Broadmoor.

I realize, of course, that none of that (USFSA, training, etc.) translates into skating being popular with the general public, just find it kind of ironic! Same thing in LA; the Zamboni was invented there, and some of the best figure skaters in recent years live and train there, yet (not as surprising, I suppose, given the climate) ice skating, whether hockey or figure skating, is not at all popular.
We moved to Denver in 1980, and Louisville in 1982. The Avs came to Colorado in 1995. After that, ice skating became way more popular. I agree that skating is very popular in Pittsburgh. My nephew was out here (CO) last weekend with his girlfriend, who grew up in Chicago and St. Louis. She had never been ice skating. I guess that doesn't generalize to everyone, though.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:59 PM

5,988 posts, read 7,367,242 times
It's popular to an extent here in Western Pennsylvania; not as popular as in Minnesota but there is a fair amount of rinks around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or