U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 AM

14,949 posts, read 31,339,738 times

Advertisements

It goes both ways. There are many big city folks who are afraid of small towns, they act like we're going to round them up in the courthouse square and burn them at the stake or something.

I will admit, when I went to NYC I didn't take my expensive jacket or watch, as I was afraid this would make me a "target" for being mugged. I realized it was ignorance on my part once I got there, but that's what many of us were raised to believe (especially growing up watching crime movies in the 80's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,552,631 times
I think a lot of people might not be able to handle talking with homeless, beggars, or the unspoken social norms of city life, where to walk, when to interact, when to not interact, who to look at, who not to look at, knowing when you are entering a sketchy area, knowing when it might look sketchy but it really isn't, city driving styles, navigating public transit, etc. It isn't thing that is bad, they just aren't used to it, how would they possibly know? It's culture shock.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,204,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the media has a lot to do with it and even when crime occurs in a city, it seems like the whole city gets stereotyped for it. People don't put things into perspective and realize that cities vary in terms of neighborhood safety. So, what may happen in one part of town is non existant in another part of town and even within the rough parts of town, much of the crime is based more on lifestyle and is more personal than people realize.
+1 for you.

The media has a lot of influence when formulating public opinion and unfairly perpetrates that perception. In reality, the majority of crime is not random and affects a small subset of the population. But since they sensationalize the hell out of everything, many people do not know any better. What's the very first thing you see when you turn on the 11:00 news?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I think this is the best answer. I know people from rural Indiana and Illinois who are scared to death to enter Indianapolis and Chicago because all they know about those cities is what they see on the news.
Yep. I had a friend in college whose mother would not allow her to stop in the city of Indianapolis if she was passing through, at ANY time of day for ANY reason. Then again, she was from an allegedly very racist town (Elwood).

Another person, who resided in the northern suburbs, was terrified about attending a Colts game because she didn't feel safe downtown and was certain her car would get stolen or broken into.

I mean, I understand that cities and towns are different places, but when it gets to the point where it becomes an unwavering paranoia, I'm just like, "seriously?"

Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 PM

639 posts, read 1,117,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It goes both ways. There are many big city folks who are afraid of small towns, they act like we're going to round them up in the courthouse square and burn them at the stake or something.

I will admit, when I went to NYC I didn't take my expensive jacket or watch, as I was afraid this would make me a "target" for being mugged. I realized it was ignorance on my part once I got there, but that's what many of us were raised to believe (especially growing up watching crime movies in the 80's).
I think city folks have much better reasons to be afraid of small towns (even though I'm personally not)

If you go to NYC or Chicago, its not like your going to enter a terrible neighborhood as soon as you enter the city. For the most part you are going to be in areas where the crime rate is comparable to small towns, The majority of NYC and even chicago is a place where crime is non-existent and foreign. You may be in a section of city with 20K+ ppl that hasn't had a murder in years.

unless you purposefully seek out bad areas, many times its hard to find them, and even than most victims of violent crime in the city are criminals themselves and know the people who attack them. Ive spent considerable time in some of the worst sections of different major cities and never been a victim of a crime. Ive witnessed a few, but in every case the person victimized was a criminal being attacked by another criminal who he had beef with.
Even if you do purposefully go to a bad area and cause trouble you can call the cops.

Imagine if your in a town of 5,000 and someone starts beating the mess out of you. You call the sheriff and the dude who beat you up is his childhood friend or cousin. Now you not only are hurt but may be locked up or worse abducted or beat up some more.

If a psycho abducts you in the city your chances for escaping and getting help, or people seeing you being kidnapped and calling the cops are high, and the chances of that man having powerful people in that city that are looking to help him out are non-existent. If someone kidnaps you in a town of 5K and hes well connected your pretty much screwed.

If you get shot in the city you are going to get cops, and a world class trauma center, and even a spot on the news. If your condition is life threatening the homocide team will go great lengths to bring that person to justice.

If someone shoots you in a small town there's no such trauma ward and the person who shot you may be related to the person responsible with bringing him to justice.

I'm not saying I'm scared of small towns, I love small towns, but city folks have much more logical reasons for being scared of small towns, even though almost none are.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
I know cases like that in my little town, but the cases I can think of where criminals "get away with it because of connections" they attacked someone from the town itself. Also in my small town violence is uncommon and is generally alcohol related. I think that's typical of small-town violence. (Just like in cities it's often drug-related) If you avoid drunks, and I think that's doable, it's highly unlikely a small towner will just attack you or mug you. If they do it's not that unlikely they'll go after the guy if he's poor or you have money. (I think small towns do sometimes-to-often like outsiders who can spend money in town)

Although the medical and trauma center issue is a more legitimate cause for concern. Health-care in rural areas is often distant or poor. If a drunk driver plows into you you almost certainly are better off to be in a city. I nearly died from a vehicle accident as the local hospitals were not good for me, but I was lucky to get flown to a big city research hospital in time.

That being said I think my chance of getting killed in traffic are much worse in a city than in a small town. I know I said if I get hit they deal with it better, but my chance of getting hit I think is generally much higher in a city. And although I was perfectly safe in DC I was on a trip I won so had a guide. If I'd just wandered through DC on my own (okay I was thirteen so that's not real plausible but you know what I'm saying) I could have ended up in one of the dangerous parts unaware. And some cities are more polluted than most any small town so people with asthma or other respiratory ailments might have some reason for concern.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
I'm afraid of cities simply because it's just not my element.

That and the only city I've ever lived in (Baton Rouge) did NOT leave me with a good impression of urban folks.

I'm a hick... I admit it. But I wouldn't trade the country side for anything.

Though honestly, there is crime out in the boonies just the same. Depending on how you treat your neighbors and what you get involved with.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,956,143 times
Same reason city dwellers are afraid of rural areas.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:41 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
I moved from the city (well the suburbs) to a small town of 2,000 people, and agree it can be the opposite as well. Some small towns have a very tight-knit community and are suspicious of outsiders, and you can't really be anonymous in small towns. I do find once they get to know you they're friendlier than in the city though.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I moved from the city (well the suburbs) to a small town of 2,000 people, and agree it can be the opposite as well. Some small towns have a very tight-knit community and are suspicious of outsiders, and you can't really be anonymous in small towns. I do find once they get to know you they're friendlier than in the city though.
Yeah small towners gauge new faces before really making a decision. But once you're in, you're in.

However, people who grew up out in the nowhere like myself can be defensive and intimidating to anybody we don't know. Sometimes we scare people away. XD

Maybe it's the hillbilly in me but I find it difficult to trust people and adapt to populated areas. I go reclusive real fast.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Yeah small towners gauge new faces before really making a decision. But once you're in, you're in.

However, people who grew up out in the nowhere like myself can be defensive and intimidating to anybody we don't know. Sometimes we scare people away. XD

Maybe it's the hillbilly in me but I find it difficult to trust people and adapt to populated areas. I go reclusive real fast.
People in cities are used to the 'live and let live' motto, which can be good and bad, while some country folk want to get to know you and take a stake in you being there, which can also be good or bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.