U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
knew it was coming

check your stats the crime rate in Detroit is down from the 70s/80s
But it ain't great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 PM

449 posts, read 1,479,285 times
For us I think Chicago 60614 described it pretty well, I'm not scared (I'm from a city) but have been living in smaller cities and the hectic-ness and quick decisions gets to me. That, and in a big city, its not always clear where to "avoid" and I'm sure I lack that certain "city attitude" that I used to have so feel we act pretty "green" and feel more vulnerable.

Once we stayed at a hotel in a really small town. Went walking around, checking out the stores and at "woolworth" variety kind of store this older saleslady literally followed us everywhere we looked, even the candy racks. No questions about helping us find something...and the steathiness made it pretty clear she thought we were shoplifters though we were nicely dressed and the kids well behaved.

In small towns it just feels awkward because we feel very much like outsiders. Like we're being rude/overly familar by being too chatty (which is pretty much our usual way.)

Last edited by midwestmom; 01-10-2011 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,808,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
But it ain't great.
nobody said it was. and neither are plenty of other cities but I don't see you using them as an example smh

Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 AM

34,673 posts, read 33,676,768 times
Re: big cities

We're mostly scared of your cost of living, taxes and regulations.

Too many people in too little space. It's just a big petrie dish of disease.

We're scared of the zombies who walk on the street without making eye contact unless they are some buggy eyed guy yelling lewd things at you and who gets in your face.

We're scared of the soup nazi.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 AM

4,111 posts, read 7,631,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
The majority of people who live in LA don't live in Compton.
Actually, NO ONE who lives in LA lives in Compton, California because Compton, California is a suburb of LA.

Compton is a city in LA County and LA is another city in LA County.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
nobody said it was. and neither are plenty of other cities but I don't see you using them as an example smh
I have only just joined this conversation. XD

But I was in Detroit not but a couple of years ago. And it was still hellish.

For your amusement I also dislike the following cities:

Memphis
New Orleans
St. Louis
Jackson (Mississippi)
Los Angeles
Baltimore
Washington DC
Anything in Florida
Baton Rouge
Shreveport
Bossier city
Buffalo
San Antonio

However I DO like these cities:

Nashville
Knoxville
Rochester (NY)
Syracuse (NY)
Cleveland (Ohio)
Cincinnati
Chattanooga
Lafayette (Louisiana)

So there. Plenty O' comparisons I guess.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Re: big cities

We're mostly scared of your cost of living, taxes and regulations.

Too many people in too little space. It's just a big petrie dish of disease.

We're scared of the zombies who walk on the street without making eye contact unless they are some buggy eyed guy yelling lewd things at you and who gets in your face.

We're scared of the soup nazi.
I agree. As well as the crime in some cases.

SOUP NAZI!? XD

Old 01-11-2011, 01:02 PM

370 posts, read 884,116 times
I think people are afraid of whatever they are not exposed too. They avoid the City and the only exposure they get to it is in the form of news which always seems to focus on the negative. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. We fear what we don't understand. It's just as silly for City folks to say they fear the woods.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
I think people are afraid of whatever they are not exposed too. They avoid the City and the only exposure they get to it is in the form of news which always seems to focus on the negative. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. We fear what we don't understand. It's just as silly for City folks to say they fear the woods.
Exactly. We're not all toothless hicks. And I suppose city folk ain't all muggers and drug dealers.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:39 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,603,642 times
Quote:
knew it was coming

check your stats the crime rate in Detroit is down from the 70s/80s
According to Wikipedia's list of the American cities by crime rates, Detroit had the second highest crime rate of any city in the country with a population of at least a quarter million people in 2009. A year or two ago, it was in the lead. Unless the crime rate has dropped dramatically in the last year, it's a pretty good example.

Also, the crime rates across the country have declined since the 70s and 80s so it's very possible that they did in Detroit just following the national trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.