U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 AM

891 posts, read 1,079,867 times

Advertisements

I think there are a lot more city enthusiasts out there than we realize. I don't think having an interest in cities is particularly "weird" or obscure. After all, cities are where people live, so it really is relevant to huge numbers of people in one way or another. Also, no one would think it's weird to say you love traveling or history or architecture or politics. Well, cities encompass all of those elements. It's not like being interested in stamp collecting or bugs... almost everyone has at least something to discuss regarding cities even if they're not "urban nerds" like us, and the conversations are endless and diverse.

My wife is definitely not a city freak like me, but she definitely appreciates the urban environment and often accompanies me to many events/discussion groups/development meetings and enjoys them (well, at least most of the time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,143,092 times
My girlfriend said she thought it was weird. I think I just told her I'm researching places for when I move to D.C. (which is true) and she left me alone.

She thought it was pretty weird when I busted out the Excel sheets, though.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,635,588 times
I don't really tell people I'm an enthusiast but if I start talking about urban environments or hearing someone talk about it, it usually involves them telling me that cities are grimy dangerous places where the traffic is always bad

Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,169,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Haha same... my gf says... "on that blue site again" I am a pretty big travel enthusiast so a lot of it is actually relevant.
Yeah my old roomate said something like that to me one time. He was like "Everytime You go on the computer your always on facebook or that blue website". I use my phone alot more now even though I'm typing this while on the computer.

I've always been into geography even when I was young so this is pretty much my outlet.

mas23

Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 PM

6,515 posts, read 7,459,650 times
Im already considered a nerd, I talk about geography and history way too much for most people. I dont tell people about this site, but people I work with constantly ask me "who in the world knows that" when I rattle off some stats or facts about places. Im a confirmed history and geography geek, a hopeless case.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:11 AM

22,132 posts, read 23,648,900 times
it sounds like even though a lot of us bicker back and forth, we're pretty much nerds of a feather

Old 08-07-2012, 11:51 AM

17,235 posts, read 19,536,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I just come on CD to mess around and waste some time with some good old Internet conversation. I don't really have a fascination of cities, since that is a bit dumb.
Why would it be considered dumb? Anyone who enjoys traveling, for example, would most likely be fascinated with cities to some extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or