U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 PM

7,140 posts, read 9,921,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/op...=1&ref=opinion

"Still, data from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities suggest that the Texas budget gap is worse than New York’s, about as bad as California’s, but not quite up to New Jersey levels".
I only thing I would take from that article is that Texas is not perfect. But very people ever said it was.

And Texas problems are currently because of the recession for the most part. Things will get better.

The problems affecting my state and New Jersey (and I think California) is a bloated public employee work force, who think they are entitled to easy street and early retirement because they work for the city, state or the school district. There is no easy way out of these problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,250,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Paul Krugman is a political pundit first and an economist second. He strikes me as someone who would form an economic opinion to fit his political beliefs, rather than the other way around. He's probably not the best source for unbiased economic opinions.
What's sad about Texas is its willingness to poison the air\ water just to make a buck. According to this article from a Dallas newspaper, the Texas governor and state legislature are fighting the EPA over the fact that Texas has a "hands off" policy towards major polluters. In-fact, two Texas energy companies tried to convince California voters to stop California's global warming regulations on companies but the voters rejected that type of Texas thinking and soundly defeated the proposition.

EPA Pressure Threatens Texas Economic Recovery - Dallas TEA Party | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/tea-party-in-dallas/epa-pressure-threatens-texas-economic-recovery - broken link)

Old 01-08-2011, 12:24 PM

7,140 posts, read 9,921,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What's sad about Texas is its willingness to poison the air\ water just to make a buck. According to this article from a Dallas newspaper, the Texas governor and state legislature are fighting the EPA over the fact that Texas has a "hands off" policy towards major polluters. In-fact, two Texas energy companies tried to convince California voters to stop California's global warming regulations on companies but the voters rejected that type of Texas thinking and soundly defeated the proposition.

EPA Pressure Threatens Texas Economic Recovery - Dallas TEA Party | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/tea-party-in-dallas/epa-pressure-threatens-texas-economic-recovery - broken link)
Here I agree with you. Texas is going to pay someday for its anything goes attitude. As the population increases in Texas, the quality of life is going to change. The roads will become more crowded, there will be water shortages and housing in good neighborhoods will become more expensive.

Building a few outer ring roads around Houston is not enough to prepare Texas for the future. What Texas needs is some long range planning.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:04 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,816,690 times
Um no. Read the article, Texas's Budget Deficit is for 2 years, not 1 year like the way California, New Jersey, Illinois, & New York do it. Texas only meets once every two years to balance the budget, California does every year. I like how the article failed to mention that immediately, because that's just such a major difference already between both states.

Texas's yearly deficit would be $12.5 Billion compared to New York's $15 Billion, Illinois's $12 Billion, & California's $25 Billion.

I love how people love to throw rocks at Texas's accomplishments, and love every chance they get to take something away from Texas, I especially see that from Californians. Everytime I see a link about Texas's budget deficit its always a Californian who is extremely biased with one sided politics, its like they have something to rub in or something, however I can probably seeing extreme Texans doing that too but not in this section of the forum (Besides RenaudFR).

I'm politically moderate, and with the link that the original poster provided I saw a lot of flaws with the author of that article. He tried to put Texas in the same boat as economically hurt states far more than it by trying to make it look like Texas's budget deficit scenario is the same as California's, California's deficit is for one year, Texas's is for two years.

I'm moderate and the source the original poster linked was an extreme left side, I take what I read with a grain of salt, politics is about trying to prove your way of handling a system works, and it doesn't for either political party. Here is the come back from some extreme right winger: No, Paul Krugman, Texas Is Not Broke - By Kevin D. Williamson - Exchequer - National Review Online

I took that article with a grain of salt also. People need to see things from both ways, Texas is fine, yes it was hurt by the recession just like everyone else, but its doing better than every state the first article linked and that is a fact.

Texas is not home to the worst foreclosure cases in the nation.
Texas is not home to the worst of the credit card crush in the nation.
Texas's budget deficit is high, but its for two years (2 years) not one year like the other states mentioned.
Texas's unemployment rate is below the national average, and jobs ARE being created here and have been for some time now.

So before people decide to throw rocks at my state, think about everything wrong with yours. I don't have any state pride and only have care for my city (s) and that's it, but enough is enough someone really needs to set reality back into motion, this obsession to drag us down with all of you also needs to stop. Give credit where its due, and that is the fact that we're doing well.

Unlike most people, I am going to stop there, I don't believe there should be a need for me to bash any place to prove a point. I already did and factually also. Everything I said can easily be looked up and I encourage everyone to do so.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 PM

410 posts, read 700,697 times
Not to mention Texas cost of living is around 45% below the national average. Someone correct me if that has changed, but I recently read that.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:19 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,298,663 times
The OP is no longer with us.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:27 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,129,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
You have quite an obsession with Texas.
Yeah he does.

He's all over the political forum bashing Texas too.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:30 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,001,953 times
Texas is in good shape, no worries there. What is up with this obsession of making Texas' economy sound like it is tanking?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:42 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,194,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Texas is in good shape, no worries there. What is up with this obsession of making Texas' economy sound like it is tanking?
California Sur is really obsessed with Texas. I think it is an insecurity

Old 01-09-2011, 04:35 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,298,663 times
Californio sur has been banned (it says 'not a member' by his name). He will have to spew his stupidity else where on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.