Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:15 AM

12 posts, read 50,690 times

Advertisements

I am originally from the west side of Cleveland, OH, and currently live in Toledo, OH. I have been thinking about moving and was considering Alburquerque. This past weekend I went to a concert in Cleveland (Kenny Chesney) and was amazed at how rude everyone was! This got me thinking about the type of place that I want to live and raise my son (due in October!). What cities have friendly, polite people and a slower way (pace) of life? I am also looking for sunshine, low relative humidity, and a decent economy if I can get it! I need a fairly large city within about 30 min for work. Anybody know anywhere that sounds like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Maybe Denver? ABQ, or so Ive heard, is pretty high on crime. And also, concerts arent exactly what Id gauge citizens' rudeness on... alot of people are in a hurry and some are drunk, etc. Heck, if I gauged rudeness based on concert goers, Id never live out here.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:15 AM

45 posts, read 146,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbc View Post
I am originally from the west side of Cleveland, OH, and currently live in Toledo, OH. I have been thinking about moving and was considering Alburquerque. This past weekend I went to a concert in Cleveland (Kenny Chesney) and was amazed at how rude everyone was! This got me thinking about the type of place that I want to live and raise my son (due in October!). What cities have friendly, polite people and a slower way (pace) of life? I am also looking for sunshine, low relative humidity, and a decent economy if I can get it! I need a fairly large city within about 30 min for work. Anybody know anywhere that sounds like this?
Whatever you do, don't move to the DC area or to any large city in the Mid-Atlantic! People are really rude. I'm moving back to NE Ohio where I know my neighbors and where my family and true friends are.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 AM

554 posts, read 2,501,358 times
Indianapolis?

Old 07-16-2007, 11:56 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Indianapolis?
Indy? I'm not sure I'd agree about it being slow-paced. Friendly..yea pretty friendly. I dunno..I always sorta thought that KC, St. Louis, Indy, Cincy, and Columbus were kinda so-so. Having lived in St. Louis my whole life, I can definitely say that the pace here is ANYTHING but slow. Only time it is slow is maybe around 3:00 in the morning when everyone is asleep. I'm not sure I agree about the people of Cleveland being rude. I've been there more times then I count, in fact given 2/3 of my mother's family resides in Cleveland, I probably know the city as well as any Clevelander, so technically I could qualify as one. Anyways...THAT said, hehe, I never found people in Cleveland to be rude...compared to Chicago, they are angelic Driving in Cleveland was never a problem for me either....I dunno....I guess everybody has a different experience. St. Louis, it depends. While many people say we are friendly, that's really only half the truth. I went to The Police concert in St. Louis recently and man did I meet some RUDE people....driving in St. Louis can be an adventure....while most people I know generally let me into a lane on the highway, I meet at least two or three jerks on the road everyday...in fact my dad just yesterday almost became the target of a road-raged driver. I guess it depends on the given day. Frankly, I've always found Cleveland to be about as friendly as Pittsburgh and St. Louis given it is similar in size to these two. My theory is that the bigger the city, the ruder the people. Now Chicago and New York? Those are rude cities If you want a city that is both friendly and slow-paced, my advice to you is to go south of the Ohio River. the closest slow-paced and friendly cities to you would probably be Louisville and Lexington or someplace in West Virginia. The only places in the Midwest I've found that tend to be slower-paced are the rural areas and smaller cities. Dayton might be a good example.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Indy? I'm not sure I'd agree about it being slow-paced. Friendly..yea pretty friendly. I dunno..I always sorta thought that KC, St. Louis, Indy, Cincy, and Columbus were kinda so-so. Having lived in St. Louis my whole life, I can definitely say that the pace here is ANYTHING but slow. Only time it is slow is maybe around 3:00 in the morning when everyone is asleep. I'm not sure I agree about the people of Cleveland being rude. I've been there more times then I count, in fact given 2/3 of my mother's family resides in Cleveland, I probably know the city as well as any Clevelander, so technically I could qualify as one. Anyways...THAT said, hehe, I never found people in Cleveland to be rude...compared to Chicago, they are angelic Driving in Cleveland was never a problem for me either....I dunno....I guess everybody has a different experience. St. Louis, it depends. While many people say we are friendly, that's really only half the truth. I went to The Police concert in St. Louis recently and man did I meet some RUDE people....driving in St. Louis can be an adventure....while most people I know generally let me into a lane on the highway, I meet at least two or three jerks on the road everyday...in fact my dad just yesterday almost became the target of a road-raged driver. I guess it depends on the given day. Frankly, I've always found Cleveland to be about as friendly as Pittsburgh and St. Louis given it is similar in size to these two. My theory is that the bigger the city, the ruder the people. Now Chicago and New York? Those are rude cities If you want a city that is both friendly and slow-paced, my advice to you is to go south of the Ohio River. the closest slow-paced and friendly cities to you would probably be Louisville and Lexington or someplace in West Virginia. The only places in the Midwest I've found that tend to be slower-paced are the rural areas and smaller cities. Dayton might be a good example.
Yeah, why class the city of Chicago as rude? Sure there are *******s, but on a whole theyre pretty friendly.

And you need to get out more often if you think St. Louis is fast-paced. LOL Compared to PHX, Las Vegas, NYC, Chicago, LA, Boston, DC, etc, etc, etc, St. Louis is a graveyard. In fact, I like going to St. Louis because it feels slow-paced (and because I like it in general too).

Old 07-16-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yeah, why class the city of Chicago as rude? Sure there are *******s, but on a whole theyre pretty friendly.

And you need to get out more often if you think St. Louis is fast-paced. LOL Compared to PHX, Las Vegas, NYC, Chicago, LA, Boston, DC, etc, etc, etc, St. Louis is a graveyard. In fact, I like going to St. Louis because it feels slow-paced (and because I like it in general too).
Well I wasn't saying that it was fast-paced like the big cities in the nation that are tourist attractions and places like that But it's about the same pace I'd say as Cleveland, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, and Cincy. Of course it's not as fast-paced as Chicago or New York...I'm well aware of that Ok...I take back Chicago being rude....peace Steve? hehehe?

Old 07-16-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Well I wasn't saying that it was fast-paced like the big cities in the nation that are tourist attractions and places like that But it's about the same pace I'd say as Cleveland, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, and Cincy. Of course it's not as fast-paced as Chicago or New York...I'm well aware of that Ok...I take back Chicago being rude....peace Steve? hehehe?
LOL

Id compare St. Louis to Milwaukee, theyre very similar in pace.

And peace it is! No matter where you go, youll have rude idiots, even in northern WI where there motto is "Youre amongst friends". Chicago is HUGE, and IMO theyre rather nice. Ive had to get directions many times while downtown, and not a soul has ever been unwilling to help. Ive had doors held for me, recommendations given, etc, etc.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
LOL

Id compare St. Louis to Milwaukee, theyre very similar in pace.

And peace it is! No matter where you go, youll have rude idiots, even in northern WI where there motto is "Youre amongst friends". Chicago is HUGE, and IMO theyre rather nice. Ive had to get directions many times while downtown, and not a soul has ever been unwilling to help. Ive had doors held for me, recommendations given, etc, etc.
Ok...actually the only rude experience i've had in Chicago is with the cab drivers...and it's not even their personalities...it's just the way they drive hehe...they seem to basically feed that stereotype. Other than that, never had any problems with Chicago

Old 07-16-2007, 01:36 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
What about Charlotte, NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.