Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 03:53 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,049 times

Advertisements

Being from the south I can identify different types of southern accents.
It seems in the media they portray all southerners as having a deep Texas redneck accent, which is hilarious because those accents are not found in the majority of the south. You usually only find those in small isolated towns in Texas, or amongst folks that have lived in say, Houston for 5 generations straight. (Not calling them rednecks, just saying they speak in a similar manner)

Younger ppl either seem to have no accent, or an altered one (Due to all the northerners moving down here) I don't like the altered one. It takes the southern drawl, but there's an added abrasiveness to it.

I find that older southern folks and people raised around them tend to have my favorite accent.

Its southern, but its so laid back and calm. The men all talk like gentlemen, and the women all talk like ladies and call random strangers "sweetie", and "baby". Theres a thick drawl, and its spoken at a much slower pace. You feel relaxed when talking to one of them. Theres just something about it thats so soothing and attractive. I wish more younger southern folks spoke like this. Like I said most younger folks either speak with no southern accent, or a very mild one, or an extremely abrasive one that sounds like someone from NYC trying to talk like someone from Alabama. Talking fast and loud sounds good with most northern accents, but with a true southern accent it just sounds terrible.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Being from the south I can identify different types of southern accents.
It seems in the media they portray all southerners as having a deep Texas redneck accent, which is hilarious because those accents are not found in the majority of the south. You usually only find those in small isolated towns in Texas, or amongst folks that have lived in say, Houston for 5 generations straight. (Not calling them rednecks, just saying they speak in a similar manner)

Younger ppl either seem to have no accent, or an altered one (Due to all the northerners moving down here) I don't like the altered one. It takes the southern drawl, but there's an added abrasiveness to it.

I find that older southern folks and people raised around them tend to have my favorite accent.

Its southern, but its so laid back and calm. The men all talk like gentlemen, and the women all talk like ladies and call random strangers "sweetie", and "baby". Theres a thick drawl, and its spoken at a much slower pace. You feel relaxed when talking to one of them. Theres just something about it thats so soothing and attractive. I wish more younger southern folks spoke like this. Like I said most younger folks either speak with no southern accent, or a very mild one, or an extremely abrasive one that sounds like someone from NYC trying to talk like someone from Alabama. Talking fast and loud sounds good with most northern accents, but with a true southern accent it just sounds terrible.
Wait, why are you labeling Texas???? Stereotypical accents portrayed in the media are actually derived from the deep south region and sound nothing like Houstonians.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 PM

276 posts, read 432,059 times
Being from D.C. my accent is very mixed up.
Most people say I sound slightly country, but proper. I pronounce some words like someone from NY or NJ would. I do have some drawl though, like when I pronounce "Maryland" = Murrrlyn, or "carry" = currry. I stretch my R's.

Maryland/D.C. is one of those areas where you do have some southern drawl, but the accent doesn't stand out and its very watered down. Not as charming as a Georgia accent.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:57 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
I'm able to tell some variations in southern accent. The accent in Kentucky is different than the one in Georgia. I think Texans do talk different, too (I had a boss who was a native Texan).

And I do find them charming, too.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:52 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Thanks but another stereotype. I was born and raised in Atlanta, and I absolutely have no accent at all. I have been told this by many of my northern counterparts. Not that I would be ashamed of it, but not everyone in the South has a "Southern" accent.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I'm able to tell some variations in southern accent. The accent in Kentucky is different than the one in Georgia. I think Texans do talk different, too (I had a boss who was a native Texan).

And I do find them charming, too.
The Kentucky accent is smoother than Georgia/Alabama for sure...I do not like the "twangy" southern accent.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Inc. View Post
Being from D.C. my accent is very mixed up.
Most people say I sound slightly country, but proper. I pronounce some words like someone from NY or NJ would. I do have some drawl though, like when I pronounce "Maryland" = Murrrlyn, or "carry" = currry. I stretch my R's.

Maryland/D.C. is one of those areas where you do have some southern drawl, but the accent doesn't stand out and its very watered down. Not as charming as a Georgia accent.
Perhaps in Pg county down and the Eastern Shore...not so much most of Maryland.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:13 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wait, why are you labeling Texas???? Stereotypical accents portrayed in the media are actually derived from the deep south region and sound nothing like Houstonians.
Almost everyone I know born and raised in houston has a varying degree of the texas accent, especially the people i know raised in houston "hoods" or from the outskirts of the city, and its the same accent that all southerners are portrayed as having. It is my least favorite southern accent.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:04 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times
I love southern accents and my absolute favorite are New Orleans accents, they sound so cool. Alot of people tell me they like my NY accent but I cant stand it, I feel like I sound like a thug everytime I open my mouth. Not very classy

Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
There have already been mulitiple "Accents" threads in the room. Please see the room sticky as to what is and what is not on topic here, and add to any existing threads rather than create a new one on generally the same topic. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.