U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:56 PM

28 posts, read 25,822 times

Advertisements

Yeah, California is like the only state that meets that criteria. There are a few cities with reasonably priced homes in California:

Fresno, CA would be your best option. It is about 20 minutes away from mountains, 2 hours from the beach, and has about average prices of homes. In California, the further away from the coast you are, the cheaper the house gets. Fresno is located in central California, so you would get a very warm climate.

I am a northeastern type of person as well, but too bad that mentality can't be located in warmer climates. I am starting to hate these everlasting winters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,908,387 times
San Jose is your best bet because its downtown is alot like a perfect Manhattan cramped in a 7-10 block area with all the arts, restaurants, entertainment, culture and and everything you need in a small area. The city is clean, safe and fun. The weather is ideal for you. It's also close San Francisco. You can enjoy best of both world by taking the Caltrain to both cities and have fun. It drops you in heart of the two cities. That's cool. Check it out.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
Maybe someplace in the Raliegh Durham area???

Asheville has the hippie vibe but it's a small city. Is 3 1/2 hours close enough to the ocean?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM

56,562 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
Portland really does fit all the criteria, amazingly, but is sooooooo dreary. In the years I lived there it became intolerable to me to not be able to just walk outside for a stroll, it was ALWAYS raining. Thats why I thoughts maybe Cali, a little further south, a little warmer. Just kinda expensive and large, wouldnt know where to start.

I will read up opn San Jose, dont know anything about it. I have thought about the DC area......dont know enough about it tho and it stil ranks up there with the blizzard winters.......But you're right, I am looking for a northeastern mentality in a warm, friendly, woodsy, coastal place. LOL.

Thank you both for your posts!
I think VA, MD and PA are the states to look at. Maybe parts of NJ and DE could work too. I was thinking Eastern PA due to being close to the Poconos, but you can also get to the beaches on the Jersey Shore in about an hour. Actually, Northern NJ could be perfect, but the cost of living is something to keep in mind. Don't sleep on Delaware near Wilmington, as there are beaches in that state and the mountains aren't too far away in PA.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:19 PM

304 posts, read 655,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
Born here...i've seen it go downhill, too. An armpit.

Yep! And isnt it such a shame? Such a beautiful place, so much to offer, but such a bad atmosphere...........

Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:

My wish list:

- Nowhere cold/snowy. I am from NYC, I cannot do the northen winters any more. I can do cooler winters but I cant do the trapped inside because its 30 degrees outside for 6 months kind of thing.

- I want new terrain, I want to go hiking, to see mountains (or hills), to walk in the woods, to be deep in nature/near it.

- I need to be near a majoy city if not right on the edges of it. Near Universities etc.

- Preferably near the coast. I know I know, there are no mountains and coasts near each other, but isnt that kind of how Cali is?

- A nice sense of community, even a hippie-ish vibe and environment, progressive, liberal, etc.

- Am wondering if there is somewhere like California on the east coast. I dont know what the Carolinas are like for instance, I just fear that there wont be that big city nearby that I am looking for. Is the nature similar between California and the lower east coast? I.E., woods, streams, lakes, etc? I almost want to live in a log cabin type environment but near the city. I also need a progressive environment, one where poeple are interested in yoga, natural health, meditation, etc etc etc. Farmers markets, friendly, warm, not the ugly hustle of Miami where there is no sense of community.

The big change I am seeking is in terrain as I said - woods, expanse, etc. I love the blue skies and greenery here and warm weather, but it is too flat, there is no hiking, etc. But on the positive I have the beach a car ride away and am near a major metro city with tons of colleges and culture, arts, alternative etc. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!
Carrboro, North Carolina is your spot. It fulfills the entire wish list if you would consider the Raleigh-Durham metro area "major" enough. Good luck!

Carrboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carrboro, North Carolina Overview
http://www2.chccs.k12.nc.us/education/page/download.php?fileinfo=QWNoaWV2ZW1lbnRzLnBkZjo6Oi93 d3cxMC9zY2hvb2xzL25jL2NoYXBlbC9pbWFnZXMvZG9jbWdyLz E1ODA4X2ZpbGVfNzkyNDNfbW9kXzEyNzY3Nzc2NDgucGRm (broken link)
yoga carrboro - Google Search
Weaver Street Market - Carrboro location description
About Carrboro & Southern Village Farmers' Markets

Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 PM

360 posts, read 516,943 times
Check out Huntsville, AL. Beautiful place with dynamic economy, well educated citizens. Good place to work and live.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,946,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Maybe someplace in the Raliegh Durham area???

Asheville has the hippie vibe but it's a small city. Is 3 1/2 hours close enough to the ocean?
^ ^

what s/he said

Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,946,942 times
Quote:
Portland really does fit all the criteria, amazingly, but is sooooooo dreary. In the years I lived there it became intolerable to me to not be able to just walk outside for a stroll, it was ALWAYS raining. Thats why I thoughts maybe Cali, a little further south, a little warmer. Just kinda expensive and large, wouldnt know where to start.

I will read up opn San Jose, dont know anything about it. I have thought about the DC area......dont know enough about it tho and it stil ranks up there with the blizzard winters.......But you're right, I am looking for a northeastern mentality in a warm, friendly, woodsy, coastal place. LOL.

Thank you both for your posts!
D.C. is liberal but not really in the way you're thinking of. It's not worth it to deal with D.C. people unless it's absolutely where you want to be.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:35 AM

56,562 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
D.C. is liberal but not really in the way you're thinking of. It's not worth it to deal with D.C. people unless it's absolutely where you want to be.
Also, it doesn't have the blizzard winters as much as the OP thinks they do. Those are rare for that area. Heck, that is actually pretty rare for Northeastern coastal areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or