Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM

304 posts, read 745,142 times

Advertisements

I know, broad question, but here are the specifics:

I currently live in S FL. I have an 11 yr old son with a disability. I am super sick of FL. I year and have yearned for years for some mountains, hiking, woods, streams, colors, etc. It is flat and hot here. I still do love the beach tho so I would hate to be far from a coast. I love California and often thinks it fits the whole bill, but it is so far (would be such a huge move) and expensive. My wish list:

- Nowhere cold/snowy. I am from NYC, I cannot do the northen winters any more. I can do cooler winters but I cant do the trapped inside because its 30 degrees outside for 6 months kind of thing.

- I want new terrain, I want to go hiking, to see mountains (or hills), to walk in the woods, to be deep in nature/near it.

- I need to be near a majoy city if not right on the edges of it. Near Universities etc.

- Preferably near the coast. I know I know, there are no mountains and coasts near each other, but isnt that kind of how Cali is?

- A nice sense of community, even a hippie-ish vibe and environment, progressive, liberal, etc.

- Am wondering if there is somewhere like California on the east coast. I dont know what the Carolinas are like for instance, I just fear that there wont be that big city nearby that I am looking for. Is the nature similar between California and the lower east coast? I.E., woods, streams, lakes, etc? I almost want to live in a log cabin type environment but near the city. I also need a progressive environment, one where poeple are interested in yoga, natural health, meditation, etc etc etc. Farmers markets, friendly, warm, not the ugly hustle of Miami where there is no sense of community.

The big change I am seeking is in terrain as I said - woods, expanse, etc. I love the blue skies and greenery here and warm weather, but it is too flat, there is no hiking, etc. But on the positive I have the beach a car ride away and am near a major metro city with tons of colleges and culture, arts, alternative etc. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 12:29 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
I know you thought CA would fit the bill, but it would be a HUGE move. Well, if the distance is a detractor, then this may not interest you ... but if you don't mind the distance, how about the Pacific NW? Despite it being more north, and about the same northern latitudes as Green Bay and NYC or more, it rarely gets very cold here.

I live in Seattle and you have beaches and you have mountains. You have miles and miles of walking trails, even in/near the city and the eastern suburbs. Winter rarely goes below freezing during the day. In fact, I think the high today is about 48 deg. The only downside is that it rains (think mist rather than rain though) for days on end. If you need sun every other day, this would not be the place for you in the winter.

Summers, though, are absolutely glorious and there's nowhere, bar none, better than Seattle and the PNW in the summer. 75 and sunny, perfect (kinda dry actually) humidity. One week where it gets to 90, then settles down again. It's so mild in fact, few houses have AC!

Another place you may consider is the southern Midwest. I lived in St. Louis for three years and even though its by far NOT my cup of tea, it did have mild winters. Summers, though, were god awful hot and humid.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Eskecurve:

You know its funny you mention the NW because I lived in Portland OR for two years and thought it was the coolest place in the world. Problem was twofold: I cannot tolerate the weather. Too cold, too grey, too rainy. Also, the beach was never warm enough to go to in a suit and it was rarely sunny to do so.

I cannot handle the midwest. I need to be on the coast one way or another. I really want that woodsy, cabin feel, lots of green, but on a coast.

thanks so much, good ideas, but I am being picky in my quest for the perfect (near so) place.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I would probably say Northern CA but it's very expensive. They have lots of mountains and woods but the coast is cold kind of like Oregon, you won't be able to ever go in the ocean without a suit. Southern CA has a warmer coast and you can swim in the ocean without a suit in summer, although still cool by FL standards, but it's more arid and has less forests and greenery.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I'm guessing maybe Charlottesville VA, somewhere in Eastern PA(perhaps the Philly or Allentown-Bethlehem area) or Columbia SC....

Old 01-09-2011, 03:01 PM

28 posts, read 34,110 times
Based on your description, you sound like you want a northeastern philosophy with southern weather. How about Portland, Oregon? It may not be extremely warm, but it is near the ocean/mountains and avoids the blizzards of the northeast. Ithaca, NY fits your criteria except you do get those upstate NY winters...also San Jose California may work. What about the D.C. Metro?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM

187 posts, read 541,548 times
Portland seems to fit all of those criteria... except maybe weather. But it shouldn't be too bad.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Portland really does fit all the criteria, amazingly, but is sooooooo dreary. In the years I lived there it became intolerable to me to not be able to just walk outside for a stroll, it was ALWAYS raining. Thats why I thoughts maybe Cali, a little further south, a little warmer. Just kinda expensive and large, wouldnt know where to start.

I will read up opn San Jose, dont know anything about it. I have thought about the DC area......dont know enough about it tho and it stil ranks up there with the blizzard winters.......But you're right, I am looking for a northeastern mentality in a warm, friendly, woodsy, coastal place. LOL.

Thank you both for your posts!

Old 01-09-2011, 03:56 PM

Hey Cuban,

Its a shame because I was a Miamiian for many years, but I cant believe IMO how nasty the whole area has become. SOOO unfriendly, cant stand that kind fo environment. Im not the BMW type. What do you think of it?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:01 PM

410 posts, read 832,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
Hey Cuban,

Its a shame because I was a Miamiian for many years, but I cant believe IMO how nasty the whole area has become. SOOO unfriendly, cant stand that kind fo environment. Im not the BMW type. What do you think of it?
Born here...i've seen it go downhill, too. An armpit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.