U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM

410 posts, read 701,200 times

Advertisements

I am a bookkeeper looking to leave Florida and since I am a bookkeeper, I need rent to be under $500.00 (a studio is fine). This leaves only a few cities in the U.S. (where I will also be able to find a job). I don't know much about these cities, though. I love nature and cold weather, but beggars can't be choosers.

Cities with jobs and cheap rent: Texas heads the list.

Houston
Dallas
Fort Worth
Colorado Springs
Indianapolis (I'm liking this one)
Columbus, OH

Feel free to add to the list. But I have to be able to find a studio or apartment for under $500 unless the job I land will pay more than what I make in Florida ($12.00 an hour).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 PM

161 posts, read 557,292 times
I am quite familiar with every place you listed.

Of the cities you listed, I would pick Indianapolis. I have always loved Indiana and the people from there. Even on trips to other places or in the workplace, I have met some wonderful people who end up being from Indiana. The economy is more stable than other parts of the state or region.

I am living in Texas for the moment taking care of a family member. I hate it, and would not recommend it. If you like cold weather, this is not the place either.

Colorado Springs is nice with all the scenery and recreational opportunites. But I used to live in Colorado, and things just keep getting more and more expensive there. It is a big spot for relocation, so the demand keeps it high. I had a 1bd apt for $410 in 2002, it now rents for more than $800. What may be affordable today, may not stay that way for long.

I have family near Columbus. Not a bad city and similar to Indy. I just like Indianapolis more.

I don't know much about the need for bookeepers, but some other sizeable, safe cities with lower unemployment that I know you can stay within your rent range are:

Fargo, ND
Sioux Falls, SD
Louisville, KY
Lexington, KY
Knoxville, TN
Columbia, MO
Springfield, MO
Lincoln, NE
Wichita, KS
Oklahoma City, OK
Billings, MT
Spokane, WA

Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 PM

Trailhiker, thanks! Can you tell me what parts of Indy I should avoid if any?
May I ask why you don't like Texas?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM

For Indianapolis, the worst areas appear to be those just north of Downtown up to about 56th St.

Once you get north of there, or south of Downtown below US 40, you should be fine. Once you get outside the I-465 loop on the north side, you get into the really nice areas like Zionsville, Carmel, and Fishers. They are nice, but not cheap. I would aim inside the I-465 loop, but not too close to the rough area just north of Downtown.

As for Texas, I have had the worst time adapting here. One thing is the amount of non-English speakers. Coming from Florida, you may be used to it, but coming from the Midwest, I was not. I work in retail, and can barely communicate with 25% of the customers. The only people I have become very close with are those who relocated from somewhere else. Next, there seems to be a growing gap between wealthy and poor. I cannot drive due to an eye condition, and use public transit. You meet some real interesting people on the bus here. The poor get poorer, and the areas that you and I can afford attract some unwanted company. The heat is also an issue. The winters are great, but the days are short. By the time the days get longer, it is too hot to enjoy it.

I have researched a lot of cities, and so the recommendations I posted are from first hand research. I am in the same situation as you on price for rent, with a max of $500. There are more places, but they are smaller and may not have the job you need. When looking for apartments, I highly recommend going to the online newspaper websites of each city and search the classifieds for rentals. It gives you a good idea of what the overall prices are like. If you rely on websites like apartmentguide.com, rent.com, or apartments.com, it will not reflect the real average. Many times, only the most expensive properties are willing to pay the cost to advertise with them.

Let me know if you have any more questions, as I have been to almost all the cities I posted.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 PM

I just wanted to add another suggestion besides the newspaper classifieds when searching for apartments.

Do a Google search for the city you want followed by the words "apartment complexes". The results will pull up a list of about 6 properties with a map on the right. Click on the map. It will bring up a larger map with lots of red dots which indicate pretty much every complex. You can zoom in on the map if you want. Run your mouse on top of each dot to see names. If you then click on the dots, there will be phone numbers, addresses, reviews (if any), and links to their own websites if they have one.

Of course, this will not show individual stand-alone apartments, just complexes, but it is a good tool to use.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:13 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,606,389 times
Why not consider getting a roommate? Better than living on a shoestring budget.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 PM

719 posts, read 1,313,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
I am a bookkeeper looking to leave Florida and since I am a bookkeeper, I need rent to be under $500.00 (a studio is fine). This leaves only a few cities in the U.S. (where I will also be able to find a job). I don't know much about these cities, though. I love nature and cold weather, but beggars can't be choosers.

Cities with jobs and cheap rent: Texas heads the list.

Houston
Dallas
Fort Worth
Colorado Springs
Indianapolis (I'm liking this one)
Columbus, OH

Feel free to add to the list. But I have to be able to find a studio or apartment for under $500 unless the job I land will pay more than what I make in Florida ($12.00 an hour).
If nature and cold weather are "likes" you can cross off Houston and DFW.
Colorado Springs will be too expensive.
So that leaves Indy and Columbus on your list.
You might want to add Erie PA, Buffalo NY, Rochester NY and Syracuse NY to your list of potentials. They all have low cost of living. I believe the 3 NY cities also have below average unemployment.
Check craigslist to get an idea of rents.
Best of luck

Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 AM

Thanks, everyone...Trailhiker, I do worry about the language issue in Texas, for fear of not being able to get a job because of not being bilingual. I got VERY lucky in South Florida to land the job that I did without being bilingual. 90% of the ads specify must be bilingual - so I don't want to move to find myself in the same boat. And yeah, Carmel is not an option for me, too $$. That was one of the first places I checked out - lovely city....

Grapico, I am in my 40's, so at this point in my life I would rather live in a closet than have a roommate...but I hear ya....

BigD, I will check out upstate NY, I didn't know that would be an option, I thought it was $$ up there. As for the Texas weather, while I prefer cold weather, on my income I can't afford to be picky and may have to settle for a city that may not have all that I want (like cold weather).

I thought Colorado Springs was $$, too, but when I looked up apartments, they were surprisingly cheap (???).

Old 01-08-2011, 02:27 PM

167 posts, read 293,833 times
#1 is a job
If you can't find one, it won't matter how cheap your rent is .

For job, Texas comes to mind, and for cheap rent :

Cleveland,OH
Pittsburgh,PA

Cleveland burbs are safe and you can find 1BR easy for around $450 .
Pittsburgh is about same.

Good luck

Old 01-08-2011, 03:10 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,799,411 times
I would also strongly suggest Cleveland and it's vast metro area ... lots of big city amenities, beautiful landscapes, attractive housing and suburbs ... "MUCHO BANG FOR YOUR BUCK$$$"

Columbus, Ohio is another very wise choice for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or