Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 04:31 PM

410 posts, read 832,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but you can't aim higher?

I think by saying, "I CAN'T pay more than $450/mo" is severely limiting your options. Awhile back, I did some research on Eau Claire (was looking at a job there), and I couldn't believe how cheap it was. Laughably cheap. It wouldn't take much more than a service job (Eau Claire has a 5.5% unemployment rate BTW) to make things meet.

I used to deliver pizza in CA (Ridgecrest) for 40 hours a week and managed to pay $800/mo in rent. Another place with very cheap rents.
I don't know what you mean by "aim higher" - I am only a bookkeeper and my take home pay is about $1300.00 a month in a huge city, and I have a car payment of $300.00 a month. Rent + car = about $800.00 a month before any living expenses.

I will check out Eau Claire again, maybe some different sites - but the apartments I saw were in the $600.00 range. That is pretty good, but still more than I can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 04:37 PM

FrenchParis, great link - thanks!

Old 01-29-2011, 04:39 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
I am in my 40's, I won't do the roommate thing, I would rather live in a closet. Anyways, I agree with all of you. It's incredulous. And smaller towns have cheaper rents, but fewer jobs. It's all relative.

Perone, your friend lucked out. I live in Florida, and Cape Coral is extememly $$.

Chicagoland, you are right - that is the way to go - not good to leave without some $$$ saved up.
I agree with you Swampbird. Once you have had a roommate steal you blind, you are very reluctant to go that route again.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I agree with you Swampbird. Once you have had a roommate steal you blind, you are very reluctant to go that route again.

20yrsinBranson
Yup, even if there wasn't an issue of privacy, there is the trust issue. I would rather live in an efficiency than have a roommate.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:54 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "aim higher" - I am only a bookkeeper and my take home pay is about $1300.00 a month in a huge city, and I have a car payment of $300.00 a month. Rent + car = about $800.00 a month before any living expenses.
What I meant is, do you have to be a bookkeeper? Is it possible for you to work a part-time job if need be? Is there a way you can unload the hefty car payment?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
What I meant is, do you have to be a bookkeeper? Is it possible for you to work a part-time job if need be? Is there a way you can unload the hefty car payment?
I don't have a college degree, I've always done office work, not sure what else I could do that would pay more than my current salary. Yes, I could get a second job, I suppose.

I would LOVE to get rid of the car. Unfortunately, I owe more than it's worth. I bought it new and only have been paying for 2 years. Big mistake to buy it, but now I am stuck with it.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
I don't have a college degree, I've always done office work, not sure what else I could do that would pay more than my current salary. Yes, I could get a second job, I suppose.

I would LOVE to get rid of the car. Unfortunately, I owe more than it's worth. I bought it new and only have been paying for 2 years. Big mistake to buy it, but now I am stuck with it.
I don't have a college degree either, and I don't have as much life experience as you, but just judging from my own situation I would have to find a way to make at least around as much as I do now if I ever lost my job (which would be have to be way more than $1300/mo take home), because I have a family to support.

I too made the mistake of buying vehicles (not one, TWO ) on loans, and as soon as they're done, I'm never taking out a car loan again.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do. I just hope you can maximize your earning potential, wherever you go.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Quote:
Yup, even if there wasn't an issue of privacy, there is the trust issue. I would rather live in an efficiency than have a roommate.
Me too, if I can afford it. Many can't afford rent by themselves, and sharing is the only option (other than sleeping on the street).

Old 01-31-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I don't have a college degree either, and I don't have as much life experience as you, but just judging from my own situation I would have to find a way to make at least around as much as I do now if I ever lost my job (which would be have to be way more than $1300/mo take home), because I have a family to support.

I too made the mistake of buying vehicles (not one, TWO ) on loans, and as soon as they're done, I'm never taking out a car loan again.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do. I just hope you can maximize your earning potential, wherever you go.
Yeah, I agree - never buying a new car again! Anyways, I really don't know how to make more money, other than working a second job, and with cancer treatment recently behind me, I would rather keep it around 40 hours a week if possible.

I am in a bad living situation and will have a nervous breakdown if I don't leave in the next few months....

But I am in Miami now, so wherever i go is bound to be less expensive!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Rents are dirt cheap in North Dakota and Mississippi. You can get a nice 2 br for like $700 max or a 1 br for $500. Here in CT I am paying $1,165 for a small 1 br. It's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.