U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 AM

20 posts, read 35,688 times

Advertisements

"Nickel And Dimed, by Barbara Ehrenreich."

That book was okay, but Barbara kinda wimped out. If someone gave me a promise of a book deal afterwards, I could do it so much better. But that minimum wage life IS my life and has been, unfortunately.

I rent in Upstate NY for $345 and while it's a closet, I don't really feel constricted. My only beef is with the tiny kitchen with no oven. The mini fridge's freezer barely works, too.

I've been wanting to move someplace with better transportation and more things to walk to, and my research found Pittsburgh is really the place. I may very well find myself out there by June, if I get out of my current town at all. Though the downside is they're kinda in the middle of a more rural spot of PA, but that's probably why it's so much cheaper.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
Oh that Barbara Ehrenreich was just making it hard on herself so she could sell books. I had apartments for rent at $250/mo when she was writing that book - dont recall she ever contacted me!

C'mon Key West??? Paradise isn't supposed to be cheap.

But seriously - on minimum wage you will need a roommate most places. But that doesn't make for a besteller.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:39 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
rf - Pittsburgh is a great city. Rents are cheap because it was depopulated. So if you can land a job - go for it.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,759,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The neighborhood I live in is packed with students and young professionals...despite the fact that it's not exactly crawling with money, you can expect a studio apartment measuring 10 x 13 feet with a small kitchenette to start at about $1,050/mo. Sure it's a closet, but it's all about the location.

1 BRs will be in the $1,500-1,800 range.
yeah, my college roommate moved to NYC after graduation and had a closet on the Upper East Side and paid about $950 - this was in 1990. I imagine that closet is now upwards of $1600-$1700.

it certainly is location!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:18 PM

11 posts, read 18,815 times
Default Craigslist??

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
A book recommendation:

Nickel And Dimed, by Barbara Ehrenreich.

The author lives on minimum wage in three different locales (Key West, FL; Portland, ME; and Minneapolis, MN).

It's a great insight.

IMO, it could be done just about anywhere. Even here in semi-expensive Denver (in the suburb of Aurora), one could find a place for $409.

Check craigslist, for example.

I have to laugh about the craigslist reference, David. Have you really checked it lately? Rents are getting sky high everywhere, and that is because there is too much pressure on the low end of the market, right where people on this post are talking about. I am 50 and can relate to the poster's wanting to live alone, but living alone in this country is going to become an extinct practice, because it's not affordable for most anymore. That's the sad reality of it.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:36 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonya1121 View Post
I have to laugh about the craigslist reference, David. Have you really checked it lately? Rents are getting sky high everywhere, and that is because there is too much pressure on the low end of the market, right where people on this post are talking about. I am 50 and can relate to the poster's wanting to live alone, but living alone in this country is going to become an extinct practice, because it's not affordable for most anymore. That's the sad reality of it.
I was going to post links to examples, but per the CD TOS, that is considered advertising. Go take a look for yourself.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:13 AM

3,215 posts, read 4,710,850 times
The Great Recession, home price "bubble burst" and resulting foreclosure mess has pushed a lot of people out of their homes and into the rental market. Rents are at the very least stable and oftentimes rising because of it in spite of the job market.

I finally was able to buy a house thanks the the real estate deflation and low interest rates. My P.I.T.I. on a 3/2 subdivision home on a 6,000 sq ft lot is exactly the same as the rent was on my old two bedroom apartment. Plus its fixed so that will never rise again (unlike my greedy landlady jacking up the rent yearly). Yeah, rents are out of reason in relation to what you get.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 AM

4,948 posts, read 7,875,344 times
I live in an area where now, if you have a job/money/credit and can qualify, you can buy a nice home with a mortgage payment that's cheaper per month than you can rent a crappy mobile home in a trailor park.

The reason for that is that rents are no longer set in relation to what working people are making around this area. The landlords can now ask for more rent because so many of the renters are now highly subsidized by the government for their housing expenses each month. If you don't qualify for housing assistance in any way, and can't purchase a home, you are out of luck around here, because the menial, low wage jobs don't pay enough to cover the cost of renting out-of-pocket.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:28 AM

708 posts, read 2,410,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I live in an area where now, if you have a job/money/credit and can qualify, you can buy a nice home with a mortgage payment that's cheaper per month than you can rent a crappy mobile home in a trailor park.

The reason for that is that rents are no longer set in relation to what working people are making around this area. The landlords can now ask for more rent because so many of the renters are now highly subsidized by the government for their housing expenses each month. If you don't qualify for housing assistance in any way, and can't purchase a home, you are out of luck around here, because the menial, low wage jobs don't pay enough to cover the cost of renting out-of-pocket.
heh. you'd think we should subsidize the landlords instead

Old 01-20-2011, 03:56 PM

410 posts, read 699,719 times
If I had no car payment and If my employer didn't deduct $300 a month for my health insurance, that would give me an extra $600 bucks a month. But in reality, I figure I will have a car payment or car repairs. I always have. Unless you can fix your own car, you don't necessarily save by driving an old car, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or