U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM

23,628 posts, read 33,408,180 times

Advertisements

Louisville rents are pretty much a bargain. I will make $12 an hour at my new job and I can find an apartment in a decent part of town that is 10 minutes from my job for under $450. I hope to make the move by December. Rent is still pretty cheap in Columbia, SC, Winston-Salem isn't too bad on rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 AM

410 posts, read 699,499 times
I have narrowed it to 2 cities.

Indianapolis
Columbus, OH

While we all have our definition of "cheap rent", for me, it is around $450 and there are few places in the US I can pay that (in a safe neighborhood) AND still find work without commuting for 2 hours.
Houston is pretty cheap, but I loathe hot weather so I don't think I would be too happy there. I really wanted to move to WI, but is unaffordable, from what i have looked at. Had to cross it off my list.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:57 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,127,002 times
Consider room mates. That's going to become a new normal. We did a bunch of that in the sixties. Adapt to new economic reality. About the rents though, landlords are trying to take advantage of so many foreclosures assuming that people will now have to pay jacked up rents. This is only temporary. There are MILLIONS of vacant housing units right now. Landlords will be competing for paying tenants soon.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,403,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
I really wanted to move to WI, but is unaffordable, from what i have looked at. Had to cross it off my list.
Milwaukee? Eau Claire? La Crosse? Superior? Janesville? Green Bay? Wausau? Appleton? Sheboygan? Manitowoc? Oshkosh? Fond du Lac? Racine? Kenosha?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:36 AM

410 posts, read 699,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Milwaukee? Eau Claire? La Crosse? Superior? Janesville? Green Bay? Wausau? Appleton? Sheboygan? Manitowoc? Oshkosh? Fond du Lac? Racine? Kenosha?
Yup, nothing in my price range in any of the 3 large cities (Milwaukee, Green Bay, Madison). The smaller towns I would not be able to find work in, and the ones that were close to a larger city were not in my price range. I was on apartment sites...I want the security of an annual lease and regular maintence if something breaks...

I cannot afford more than $450.00 a month, which severely limits me (although an efficiency is fine).

I absolutely will not have a roommate. I am just too old for that and I cherish my privacy.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 PM

18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Breathing Fire View Post
Here in D.C. paying $1,600-2,100 a month for a one or two bedroom apartment is fairly common.
That's why I had to get out of there. I paid $1957 for a 2 br 2bath apartment. Biggest mistake of my life. DC is very expensive.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:17 PM

2,109 posts, read 5,134,451 times
I used to make $7 an hour and pay $450 a month rent. I had housemates and we shared the costs in the utility bills, bulk groceries, gas money, and everything else. That made a big difference. Even now that I make considerably more I rent with housemates. My rent is around $600 a month.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,403,441 times
Quote:
Yup, nothing in my price range in any of the 3 large cities (Milwaukee, Green Bay, Madison). The smaller towns I would not be able to find work in, and the ones that were close to a larger city were not in my price range. I was on apartment sites...I want the security of an annual lease and regular maintence if something breaks...

I cannot afford more than $450.00 a month, which severely limits me (although an efficiency is fine).

I absolutely will not have a roommate. I am just too old for that and I cherish my privacy.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you can't aim higher?

I think by saying, "I CAN'T pay more than $450/mo" is severely limiting your options. Awhile back, I did some research on Eau Claire (was looking at a job there), and I couldn't believe how cheap it was. Laughably cheap. It wouldn't take much more than a service job (Eau Claire has a 5.5% unemployment rate BTW) to make things meet.

I used to deliver pizza in CA (Ridgecrest) for 40 hours a week and managed to pay $800/mo in rent. Another place with very cheap rents.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 AM

449 posts, read 1,478,820 times
We had an area picked out but that's fallen through so now we need to really expand the possibilites to find a cheaper place to live...and soon. Been looking at 2BR and finding rates $650 - $750 and a lot of places, house rents are the same or close to the apt rates. Of course, the kind of place and the neighborhood for that range varies but $wise, they're high compared to the wages. We've been looking at towns/cities in 5 states with pop. 10,000-100,000 and 2-3 big cities - prices have risen everywhere. Used to be you could live 10 miles out and get cheaper rent, now you have to go 30 or more and with gas prices, it isn't cheap either. If you have pets..it's gotten even harder. I've seen places where pet fees/deposits are higher than what you pay for rent deposits/fees.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:09 PM

10,263 posts, read 10,312,012 times
Quote:
I used to be able to make it on $8.00 an hour when I was in my 20's. I now make $12.00 an hour (still pretty low, I know) and I am lucky to be renting from a relative or I would be homeless.

I don't know how anyone makes it on less than 35K a year. If I find something for $455.00 a month, that is still 35% of my net pay. *rant over*

Maybe that link will help you
America's 100 Cheapest Places To Live - Forbes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or