U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:58 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,099,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Orlando became a city way back in 1885, but stayed lightly populated and still only had population of about 50,000 in 1950. So basically Orlando could be called a newer city and really only had a population explosion in the last generation or two. So in some ways you need to give your city more time to have its own culture or idenity.

As for me, I see nothing wrong with Orlando. Its a great vacation area, especially for families and I really don't understand why it is attacked so much here on City-Data.

As for your last sentence (bolded), what do most cities have that make them stand out? I think Orlando has most cities its size beat!
Miami became a city in 1896, and it has a bigger brand than Orlando's. I don't know how your argument is valid.

I understand that Orlando is beautiful and is a tourist destination for family vacations, but that does not make it as vibrant as other major cities.

Addressing your last sentence

New York is known for its Pizza and music. It has a Skyline.

Miami is known for South Beach, women, and being a hot spot for celebrities.

New Orleans has a Creole culture that makes it stand out.

LA is known for movies.

Philadelphia is known for its Cheesesteak.

I could go further on about how other cities stand out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 01:51 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,709,147 times
That it's home of Disney.......

Old 01-08-2011, 02:00 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,567,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why does anyone go to Orlando? There's your answer.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:59 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,424,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Really?

So, you choose a design of a public transportation bus to show that Orlando has an identity? Most people in Orlando don't even use public transportation. Orlando is a car city. It's not public transit friendly.

Weak argument

First of all it was not an argument. It just goes to show the city does things differently which I made C L E A R. CLEAR AS **** and you still misunderstood it.

Hell of a city to live in? Orlando has the worst labor market Central Florida, and it is one of the worst in the country, one of the worst 10 to be exact.

Orlando is a beautiful city, but to say it's a hell of a place to live is far off.

Second, you completely misunderstood what I said by ONE HELL OF A CITY to live in, that was not saying everyone wants to live here or it's fantastic so how you got anything else from that I DOnt KNOW.

**** if you don't like Orlando, then move. Your view of Orlando is so negative that you acknowledge no good about it at all which your probably one of those posters who hates every city they live in.

And What Makes Orlando "Beautiful" as you call it? Hell I don't think it's all that beautiful anymore. There was a time when it used to be though.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Its not the Home of Disney, Disney was originally initiated in California.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Second, you completely misunderstood what I said by ONE HELL OF A CITY to live in, that was not saying everyone wants to live here or it's fantastic so how you got anything else from that I DOnt KNOW.

**** if you don't like Orlando, then move. Your view of Orlando is so negative that you acknowledge no good about it at all which your probably one of those posters who hates every city they live in.

And What Makes Orlando "Beautiful" as you call it? Hell I don't think it's all that beautiful anymore. There was a time when it used to be though.
Hey, I am considering leaving once I get the chance to.

Orlando is beautiful although it was more beautiful years ago. There are still nice subdivisions, but everything else is not eye appealing anymore.

What do you like about Orlando?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Hey, I am considering leaving once I get the chance to.

Orlando is beautiful although it was more beautiful years ago. There are still nice subdivisions, but everything else is not eye appealing anymore.

What do you like about Orlando?

LOL i am leaving too once I get the chance as well.
Thats what I meant. I just think it was beautiful years ago. It's nice now it just doesnt suite the lifestyle I would rather have.

About Orlando?
This does not change my perception of the city (As Being an OK city to live in)
But in general

*The Attractions. I know people always say, I don't want to go to the theme parks thats all Orlando has, well it's apart of my generation so, it's something I enjoy.
*The fact that it is clean. You have some not so well kept pockets but like I always say, Orlando is a flashy show off city so it's very well maintained.
*The fact we have Toll Roads. I may get heat for this but I have never had any problems getting from one side of the Metro to the other thanks to the toll roads. Think about it, many people do not want to pay to drive so a lot of drivers do not use the toll roads thus making them less congested.
*People are generally nice. There really is a good since of caring here.
The events for the citizens. You know the different parades, art festivals, fairs, conventions we host, brings a lot to this city which is very interesting because you can always learn something new and enjoy time away from the tourist theme of the city. it helps to have that huge convention center.
*I like the city parks. They have a lot that are spread across the city(As Many Cities Do) but I feel they make a very PASSIONATE push to the troubled youth in our community as well as to senior citizens or families in need.
*I like the weather. The heat is awesome and the thunderstorms and light shows in the summer are one of a kind.
I like the Natural Beauty (Not to be mistaken with what I said earlier about being beautiful) but I mean the Lakes, and Trees all around. From the hills of Clermont to the Lakes of Wndermere, it's just a scenic place IMO because it's what I grew up with and learned to appreciate when people in other parts of the country trees are naked or covered in white powder.
*I like downtown. It's just lacking a few things but overall enjoyable.

There are other things I like about other places which is why I want to leave Orlando just is not what I want to live in life but I do think the city is ok if people give it a chance. And I'm a fair poster, I have things I dislike about this city as well.

What about you? Has your perception of Orlando changed or always been the same?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:04 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,309,244 times
People act like there are no professionals or good paying jobs in Orlando. If you have a comfortable income like I do and most ppl I know, whats so bad about living in Orlando? We have endless options of things to do. And Orlando doesn't really have a unique culture (though some parts in the historic core Orlando are unique) because 75% of the population is made up from people who are from all corners of the country and globe. All living together in a new 21st century city in harmony. I think that's pretty cool. You can basically find every culture in Orlando if you explore outside of the tourist attractions. But the tourist attractions alone make Orlamdo different from any other city. Its designed very different than other American cities. Orlando has two centers. Kinda like a double life, or alter ego. I dont know of any other cities like that.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:26 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,309,244 times
and you have to admit the buses are pretty cool. Every time I see them they are pretty full, especially around UCF. And downtown has a free trolly system with the buses that take you all around downtown free of charge.

All sizes | Lymmo | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/4353512584/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | LYNX Bus 29-310 - LYMMO | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/formerwmdriver/5057753233/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | LYNX Bus 581 - Ad Wrapped Biodiesel Bus | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/formerwmdriver/5042366387/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | LYNX Bus 28-310 - LYMMO Orlando Magic Amway Center Ad Wrap | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/formerwmdriver/5057753531/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Orlando Bus | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/southerncalifornian/2732656970/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Lynx. | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeanniexd/4740775491/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | LYNX Bus 597 - White Ad-wrapped | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/formerwmdriver/4477408924/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 PM

Things I like about Orlando

1. It is rather cheaper than other cities.

2. Low crime rate although crime has risen over the years, it still isn't bad as other areas.

3. UCF is great university

4. Nice resorts for tourists to enjoy

Things I don't like about Orlando(some of what I mentioned earlier in the thread)

1. No sense of belonging meaning there is no identity and culture

2. No diversity in the economy. The city relies on the service industry that is not doing quit good right now.

3. Lack of walkability. Orlando is a region of urban sprawl. It's virtually impossible to get around without a car.

4. Poor job market. It is rough for those who lack any education or training.

5. Limited entertainment. Museums are limited. The nightlife is limited. It has came a long way, but it doesn't amount to other cities'.

6. It's Orlando

Last edited by knowledgeiskey; 01-08-2011 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or