U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 PM
 
6,932 posts, read 8,092,262 times
Reputation: 3025

Advertisements

I live in Orlando, and from my experience living here, I feel this city has no culture or identity, so I want to know what the rest of this country think of Orlando. Apart from Disney World, what do you find in Orlando's reputation that distinguishes it from other cities in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Northfield, MN
766 posts, read 1,854,427 times
Reputation: 502
Well, you have the orlando Magic, which also references disney world. When talking about Orlando, you can't escape that, your city was built by it. So I would say that the rest of the country perceives it as basically Disney world, outlet malls, universal studios, and tropical swampland. However, as such, the perception of it is not bad. It takes on a lot of the characteristics of Disney in my mind, as a very happy, nice place to be, with many families and ethnic diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 02:47 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,973,253 times
Reputation: 6679
Disney World, other Theme Parks, humidity, swamps or marshes maybe. The Everglades do look near the area, is that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Orlandooooooo
2,363 posts, read 4,421,075 times
Reputation: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I live in Orlando, and from my experience living here, I feel this city has no culture or identity, so I want to know what the rest of this country think of Orlando. Apart from Disney World, what do you find in Orlando's reputation that distinguishes it from other cities in the country?
I live in this city too and while I don't like it it's completely wrong to say it has no identity. It's identity may not be that of what your ideal identity is for a city, but it has one. A Prime example can be the city buses. Is the only city and first city I know to have multicolored and flashy artistic public transportation. Most cities have white buses with a stripe or letters of the transportation agency. That just goes to show you the little things that don't matter but do exist help create a nice since of knowing for Orlando. When you go to another city and you see the white buses and you have been to Orlando you will remember the buses Orlando has just because they are unique and different. Another thing, theme parks. What other city has the FAMILY & FUN Feel in all of one place with multiple competitors? What other city do most FAMILIES go to to spend days and maybe even 2 weeks or so just to experience all there is and go all out because they know they are in a family oriented place? This is not even their home and they feel at home and Orlando does a damn good job at that.( Not to say its perfect)

So its Identity may not be the traditional of that of an American city but I think being nontraditional is what makes Orlando have the identity it does have and more importantly it is doing well with the way it wants to conduct itself and its reputation.


Culture? No distinct culture. It's pretty much mixed especially since most people living in Orlando are NOT NATIVES which makes for one hell of a city to live in.

My perception of Orlando is that of a FLASHY show off city. Not nothing about Disney, thats the obvious, but the city itself. You don't hear much about it unless it's something too boost the cities image or financial obligations with something. Or competing with Tampa and Miami for a venue, or a new shiny building, or whatever. Also whether wise I know many people think of Orlando being hot and tropical/swampy/wet (Not in the winter months of course). Living here I already know that but even when I visit other places I here people say "Orlando? Ohh yeah that hot city right? I hear they have some bad thunderstorms" you know or something of that nature, so in my mind I wonder"Gosh is that really how people think of Orlando?" lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 05:10 AM
 
Location: Between Heaven And Hell.
11,240 posts, read 7,513,151 times
Reputation: 14489
I like Orlando, but am not from your country.
The theme parks are good, the place is clean, what I have seen of it that is.
The people seem friendly and helpful.
Far too many shops though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Floribama
15,031 posts, read 31,409,514 times
Reputation: 13841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The Everglades do look near the area, is that right?
No, that would be Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,259 posts, read 19,555,335 times
Reputation: 13033
Orlando = Disney

That's it as far as most people's perceptions go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 11:36 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
3,077 posts, read 5,452,941 times
Reputation: 4328
My perception of Orlando?

It is NOT a place to hang out if you're single and in your 20's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 12:38 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times
Reputation: 6424
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I live in Orlando, and from my experience living here, I feel this city has no culture or identity, so I want to know what the rest of this country think of Orlando. Apart from Disney World, what do you find in Orlando's reputation that distinguishes it from other cities in the country?
Orlando became a city way back in 1885, but stayed lightly populated and still only had population of about 50,000 in 1950. So basically Orlando could be called a newer city and really only had a population explosion in the last generation or two. So in some ways you need to give your city more time to have its own culture or idenity.

As for me, I see nothing wrong with Orlando. Its a great vacation area, especially for families and I really don't understand why it is attacked so much here on City-Data.

As for your last sentence (bolded), what do most cities have that make them stand out? I think Orlando has most cities its size beat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 PM
 
6,932 posts, read 8,092,262 times
Reputation: 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I live in this city too and while I don't like it it's completely wrong to say it has no identity. It's identity may not be that of what your ideal identity is for a city, but it has one. A Prime example can be the city buses. Is the only city and first city I know to have multicolored and flashy artistic public transportation. Most cities have white buses with a stripe or letters of the transportation agency. That just goes to show you the little things that don't matter but do exist help create a nice since of knowing for Orlando. When you go to another city and you see the white buses and you have been to Orlando you will remember the buses Orlando has just because they are unique and different. Another thing, theme parks. What other city has the FAMILY & FUN Feel in all of one place with multiple competitors? What other city do most FAMILIES go to to spend days and maybe even 2 weeks or so just to experience all there is and go all out because they know they are in a family oriented place? This is not even their home and they feel at home and Orlando does a damn good job at that.( Not to say its perfect)

So its Identity may not be the traditional of that of an American city but I think being nontraditional is what makes Orlando have the identity it does have and more importantly it is doing well with the way it wants to conduct itself and its reputation.


Culture? No distinct culture. It's pretty much mixed especially since most people living in Orlando are NOT NATIVES which makes for one hell of a city to live in.

My perception of Orlando is that of a FLASHY show off city. Not nothing about Disney, thats the obvious, but the city itself. You don't hear much about it unless it's something too boost the cities image or financial obligations with something. Or competing with Tampa and Miami for a venue, or a new shiny building, or whatever. Also whether wise I know many people think of Orlando being hot and tropical/swampy/wet (Not in the winter months of course). Living here I already know that but even when I visit other places I here people say "Orlando? Ohh yeah that hot city right? I hear they have some bad thunderstorms" you know or something of that nature, so in my mind I wonder"Gosh is that really how people think of Orlando?" lol.
Really?

So, you choose a design of a public transportation bus to show that Orlando has an identity? Most people in Orlando don't even use public transportation. Orlando is a car city. It's not public transit friendly.

Weak argument


Hell of a city to live in? Orlando has the worst labor market Central Florida, and it is one of the worst in the country, one of the worst 10 to be exact.

Orlando is a beautiful city, but to say it's a hell of a place to live is far off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top