U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:56 AM

18 posts, read 17,814 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from the high-desert in CA, been in Las Vegas 10 years. My husband is from NYC, he's been here a little longer. We both like many things about Las Vegas, but never intended to make it our permanent home - but are stumped about where to go from here. I'm tired of the desert and the extremely hot summers. I would like to have a larger piece of property for our dogs - and be able to easily grow grass, trees, have a garden, etc. My husband also enjoys hunting, fishing and i love to ride a bike, hike and just be outside. Were getting ready to start a family and I really want my kids to be able to be outdoors and enjoy nature. Not spend June-September stuck inside.

However, Las Vegas has spoiled us in many ways: no income tax, low cost of living, everything is new (however I want someplace with more historical architecture) and we have great shopping and endless dining options (not including the strip, which we probably visit less than out of state visitors.)

I'd like to be closer to the ocean and lakes, live somewhere with plenty of sunshine but substantially more rain than Vegas and even a few days or weeks of snow a year. We both love the beauty of the mountains that surround the the west side of Las Vegas, we won't live somewhere flat.

I love California (except LA, Riverside, San Bernardino) but am deterred by high cost of living and taxes. Husband hates So. Cal so that's not an option. NY is too cold and expensive. We both agree we want to live in a large metro area, like a million or more people.

Some areas on our radar: North Carolina (I'm not sure about the people/diversity/food after living in LA, NYC Vegas. I'm also concerned about hot/humid summers.) Portland/Seattle (worried about lack of Sunshine) Austin, TX, Denver, CO (might be too cold, too much snow.) Northern CA - east of San Fran area like San Ramon, Walnut Creek (I worry about high cost of living.)

Also, a decent economy would be important, I'm not super worried about jobs - I'm a Realtor so I can move just about anywhere as long as people are buying homes. My husband on the other hand does very specialized work, in decorative concrete. We won't move without him having a solid job- so there's no need to warn me about that. This isn't an immediate move, so we have time to prepare before we make the leap.

I could use some advice or suggestions, either about places I've not considered or if you have feedback about the places I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 02:09 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,806,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meramos View Post
... I would like to have a larger piece of property for our dogs - and be able to easily grow grass, trees, have a garden, etc. My husband also enjoys hunting, fishing and i love to ride a bike, hike and just be outside. Were getting ready to start a family and I really want my kids to be able to be outdoors and enjoy nature. Not spend June-September stuck inside.

However, Las Vegas has spoiled us in many ways: no income tax, low cost of living, everything is new (however I want someplace with more historical architecture) and we have great shopping and endless dining options (not including the strip, which we probably visit less than out of state visitors.)

I'd like to be closer to the ocean and lakes, live somewhere with plenty of sunshine but substantially more rain than Vegas and even a few days or weeks of snow a year. We both love the beauty of the mountains that surround the the west side of Las Vegas, we won't live somewhere flat.

Portland/Seattle (worried about lack of Sunshine)

Also, a decent economy would be important, I'm not super worried about jobs - I'm a Realtor so I can move just about anywhere as long as people are buying homes. My husband on the other hand does very specialized work, in decorative concrete. We won't move without him having a solid job- so there's no need to warn me about that. This isn't an immediate move, so we have time to prepare before we make the leap.

I could use some advice or suggestions, either about places I've not considered or if you have feedback about the places I mentioned.
Seattle fits the bill.

The lack of sunshine only happens in the winter. 5 or 6 out of 7 days is overcast with drizzle in the winter. Snow happens once or two times in the winter, unless you live in the foothills of the mountains.

But that is more than offset by the absolutely glorious summers. Best summers in the nation, bar none. 75 and sunny, low humidity, basically straight for 3-4 months. One week where it gets to the high 80s/low 90s, which can be uncomfortable because almost no housing here has AC, but then it settles down.

We got you covered for outdoors. Within an hours drive of the city core, you can do any of the following:

bicycling, hiking, camping, fishing, climbing, kayaking, snowshoeing, survival training, boating (this is actually 5 min away ... Seattle's on the water), ..... and I'm sure there's more. Plenty of sports going on.

Lots of stuff is new (read: 80s or newer) because of the influence of Microsoft and high tech companies moving here. Boeing helps too.

The economy in the greater Seattle area has weathered the recession relatively well (though that hasn't spared the city and areas around it from making some painful budget cuts).

Old 01-08-2011, 02:43 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,798,402 times
I would suggest for you ...

Corvallis, Oregon - Absolutely beautiful college town that resembles a small 'New England type' town. It's the home of 'Oregon State University', and it rests amongst the mountains and foothills of the nearby coastal range.
The housing runs the gamut in Corvallis ... everything from attractive 'craftsman bungalows' to colonials and tract homes. There's also quite a bit of culture in town, primarily due to the presence of O.S.U.

Other Advantages ...

You're also a 50 mile drive from the gorgeous Oregon coastline
NO STATE INCOME TAX
Portland, Salem and Eugene are all nearby

I absolutely fell in love with Corvallis ( which means 'Heart of the Valley' )

Check out CORVALLIS here:

Visit Corvallis and Benton County Oregon

Corvallis, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other possible suggestions ...

Asheville, North Carolina
Roanoke, Virginia
Austin, Texas

Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 AM

Thanks Eskercurve! I think Seattle is definitely worth checking out, especially since my brother lives just over the border in BC. I think it'll be difficult to get my husband on board with the gloomy winters. Rain is no problem for us, but long stretches of cloudy gray and misty rain sounds like it can wear on you. I get tired of the long stretches of sun!

I'll check out Corvallis, but Oregon does have state income tax. Very high income tax at that. No sales tax, but I think I'd prefer a sales tax to super high income and property taxes.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,806,541 times
WA has you covered then. No state income tax. Semi-high sales tax, and OUTRAGEOUS booze taxes.

You know, a lot of people end up hating the gloom, but most really don't care about it. You get used to it and realize that life isn't going to wait for you ... you have to do something about it! Go out in the rain and run! Go out there and see the stormy waters, and take a ferry. Go out there and do some hiking with a good pair of boots and waterproof jacket. Go out there and ski! (OMG the skiing this season is AWESOME, and it is only like an hour outside the city). There's plenty to do indoors as well.

At the end of the day, the only people who really have anything to complain about rightfully are those with SADD... as in, you go crazy if you don't see the sun. Friend of mine had that, moved to Phoenix ... happier than a clam now. For others who love the area but would like a little more ... vitamin D pills and tanning salons help (LOL).

Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,468,192 times
Spokane, WA

Summers are very sunny, with high temps averaging in the 80's. Has four true seasons (not 9 months of gloom). The biosphere consists of hills, mountains, and forests. Hunting, fishing, hiking, and biking abounds.

No state income tax. Low cost of living. The area (which includes nearby North Idaho) is growing, but Spokane itself has some very old/classy neighborhoods. Coeur d'Alene Lake (a huge lake), is about 35 minutes away.

Metro population is at 600,000 people, not quite the million you wanted, but 600,000 is plenty enough to make the area not feel "small". Unemployment is less than average right now.

Based on your wants/needs, I wouldn't recommend where I currently live (Denver) to you.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:19 PM

56,766 posts, read 81,126,018 times
The Albany-Schenectady-Troy area might work outside of the winter weather, as everything else, including the cost of living part (which is about average) would be almost perfect.

A sleeper might be the Philadelphia area due to being close to the ocean, mountains, relatively low cost of living(near average) and is a cosmopolitan city/metro.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Strange, I didn't get any notice of these replies. I'm going to check out Spokane, at first glance looks like tons of snow. Thanks for suggesting Philadelphia - that's one area on my radar. Close to NY, which would be nice. My husband has sworn off snow after living in upstate NY for about 10 years.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 AM

21,223 posts, read 30,452,593 times
You mentioned North Carolina being on the radar and would highly recommend Durham, NC. It has the diversity and food scene you're after, as well as a moderate four-season climate and reasonable accessibility to either the coast or the mountains. The city/area is very outdoor-oriented with excellent hiking, biking and fishing opportunities. It's also part of a vibrant metro area with decent job potential yet with a relatively low cost of living.

Durham, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
America's Foodiest Small Town: In the Magazine : bonappetit.com

Old 02-10-2011, 05:38 PM

142 posts, read 882,870 times
I'm in the same boat as you as I live in Phoenix and I'm tired of the heat and I'd love to be in a milder climate without getting hammered by rain and snow. I've been to Seattle and have to say that the gloom was more than I could handle and I was there in August. The temps were fabulous but the rain and fogginess on the roads made it feel like winter to me. As a desert dweller, I knew I couldn't possibly live there full time. I may not love our summers here but I need more sunshine and a moderate climate. My husband's boss lives in Seattle and the only reason they stay is because the grandparents are there and his job. They're always talking about how they want to move and they're both born and raised Seattle folks. I think it's a very individual thing.

I've also thought of North Carolina as a place to relocate. And, I know this sounds crazy but Arkansas has also hit my radar. Just northwest of Little Rock there are some beautiful towns close to the Ozarks that have so much to offer. Also, I know you said your husband wouldn't do SoCal, but there are some great little towns in North San Diego County that might interest you:Fallbrook and Bonsall are about 1 hr north of downtown San Diego and I've always been intrigued by the area. There are a few things that still keep me here in AZ, though: cost of living, access to healthcare and shopping, not a lot of mosquitos or biting insects, mold isn't too bad of a problem as my husband has a bad mold allergy, and low humidity.

I keep wondering if I could truly live somewhere where the temps are below 50 for 4 or 5 months a year or if I could handle humidity again(I'm a born and raised East Coaster) or mosquitos because those darn bloodsuckers LOVE ME! I'm a feast for them and they smell me from a mile away, I swear. Yet, sometimes the green, the rolling hills of VA, the beaches of FL, NC, or NJ call my name and I wonder if I'll ever make it back east again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.