Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you ever think about moving to Detroit
Yes 34 39.53%
No 52 60.47%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:58 AM

746 posts, read 1,671,698 times

Advertisements

I crossed the border and visited Detroit for the first time this summer. What I saw will haunt me for a year.
It's not all bad, but I can think of 100 better places to live than that city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,058,360 times
Also would like to throw out there that I have notice a lot of people that are around my age are getting their wedding photo's taken all around Downtown Detroit's landscape.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:58 AM

5,496 posts, read 9,432,145 times
Abolutely!

Detroit and Youngstown are very similar. (just massively different in scale )

Old 01-11-2011, 01:29 PM

6,333 posts, read 11,488,468 times
I have the urban pioneer spirit for sure but Detroit is just too cold and flat.

I could see moving to Pittsburgh if global warming ever set in in a big way - but Pgh has already started to turn around and would be unaffordable by the time it got warm enough for me.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:50 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,254,643 times
It really depends on your career. Cheap housing is one thing, finding a job is another.

It's a great place if you're self-employed, an entrepreneur, or a visual artist.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,126,264 times
I'd move to Detroit ahead of many other "popular" cities. I like the "underdog" mentality, it WAS once a very important city, it has great history, it's centrally located, it's geographically beautiful, and I PREFER the weather and its 4 (true) seasons.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:41 PM

245 posts, read 542,540 times
I am sure Detroit would be a great city to grow careerwise, buy a a few homes for really cheap, fix them up, not too much of a competitive job market I would assume. But after some, not just one, but a few people I know who have been there recently and have told me it has not changed since I last visited in 1996. It is still a very dangerous city, abandoned, run down, terrible services. I am sure it wuold be nice to be a part of the revitalization, but I wonder, is there even a revitalization going on there to begin with.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:25 PM

205 posts, read 477,039 times
Looking at Detroit real estate on Zillow is my number one time killer on the internet. But would I move there? No. I have too much blood, sweat, and tears invested in Buffalo.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,372,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce81 View Post
I am sure Detroit would be a great city to grow careerwise, buy a a few homes for really cheap, fix them up, not too much of a competitive job market I would assume. But after some, not just one, but a few people I know who have been there recently and have told me it has not changed since I last visited in 1996. It is still a very dangerous city, abandoned, run down, terrible services. I am sure it wuold be nice to be a part of the revitalization, but I wonder, is there even a revitalization going on there to begin with.
Actually it is. Tell your friends to ask around before they say not much has changed. Many people who swear nothing has changed come here go to one area or stay in their hotel or only drive through. Talk to someone who knows about the revitalized areas, which areas to go to, restaurants, galleries, stores, rennovated buildings etc to see and visit. Anybody who thinks nothing has changed here since 96 clearly doesn't know what they are talking about. So many people are so scared to leave their hotel or some suburb they wouldn't be able to city the city anyway. Granted the city has only been on a continuous mission to change the city since maybe 03 but to say absolutely nothing has changed is ridiculous

Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,686,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
you do realize its 2011 smh
I would argue it has gotten worse since then.

Detroit wasn't nearly as desolate and bombed out in the late 70s as it is now (before Young's mass demoliton spree and the 2nd 'bout of white flight), so for a poster to say it looked like a war zone at that time is a pretty big statement.

EVERYONE I've talked to who lived in 1970s Detroit say they never thought it would reach the low its at now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.