U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM

2,789 posts, read 3,017,243 times

Advertisements

Here's a secret:

Neither urban nor suburban life are the key to happiness. Rural life is the way to go!

But, if I had to rank the three lifestyles, suburban life would come in a distant third. I find rural areas very appealing and interesting, urban areas very interesting but not appealing as a place to live, and suburban areas seem both uninteresting and unappealing as a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM

294 posts, read 273,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Here's a secret:

Neither urban nor suburban life are the key to happiness. Rural life is the way to go!

But, if I had to rank the three lifestyles, suburban life would come in a distant third. I find rural areas very appealing and interesting, urban areas very interesting but not appealing as a place to live, and suburban areas seem both uninteresting and unappealing as a place to live.
Yeah if you consider manual labor most of your life as happiness, I guess if it keeps you busy enough to stop you from actually thinking about life then yeah anyone doing it would be happy or so they think. Also whats considered urban life in most North American cities isn't really urban on a worldly level anyway.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:34 PM

2,789 posts, read 3,017,243 times
Quote:
Yeah if you consider manual labor most of your life as happiness, I guess if it keeps you busy enough to stop you from actually thinking about life then yeah anyone doing it would be happy or so they think. Also whats considered urban life in most North American cities isn't really urban on a worldly level anyway.
I have an office job right now. If I could make the same amount of money doing manual labor, I would take manual labor any day! It's more rewarding than sitting at a computer all day, reading and posting at City Data so that I don't completely lose my mind. I'm hoping to one day run a small business so that I can do a mix of manual labor and desk work. That would probably be ideal.

Don't knock rural life and manual labor. I think it's a more satisfying way of life in some ways.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 PM

4,033 posts, read 5,262,533 times
What about to each his/her own? Rural life wouldn't work for me but if you're happy in a rural area good for you. I like the suburbs but its just too much of a drive to get to nightlife fo my taste. Also things are just so spread out. I live in a close-in suburb that has some walkability and access to DC. So I like to think I'm getting a good mix of city and suburb.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,001,176 times
I've lived in arrangements like that and got by fine without a car.
Walk through the tracts of undeveloped desert, bicycle past the 40-automobile line at the stop light.

But anywhere you live, once you have kids, your life is pretty much altered or skewed depending on how you look at it.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 PM

12,056 posts, read 12,858,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Many cities have neighborhoods, block after block, where all the houses look the same.
Exactly.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:28 PM

711 posts, read 605,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wow -- You managed to pack even more cliches about suburban living into one paragraph than the OP! Congratulations.
Thank you.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM

187 posts, read 311,672 times
It's very much possible to raise kids in a city... you have city parks and private schools and all sorts of things you would want for your children. Take New York City, for example. A city with over 8 million people, 99% of which live in areas considered "urban". Are you going to just assume that the majority of those people are 20-30 year olds with no kids, as you seem to be implying? I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of kids living in these areas with their parents. This is just an example, this applies to most big cities. Also, cities tend to offer more variety of activities for kids. Museums, fairs, community events, etc. You can find these in the suburbs, but you will generally have to drive to get there as they are not located in residential areas, usually within a mall or something. I, personally, was raised in the suburbs but I now live in the city and my parents live in the city and we both feel that I might have had a more rewarding and satisfying childhood had I been raised in the city.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM

5,262 posts, read 7,784,277 times
"Everyone's houses looks the same" -- Not where I'm from.
Suburbia usually has better public schooling, there's more room for kids to "play", and there's more privacy.

Most American cities are becoming more suburban anyway.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:15 PM

8,045 posts, read 7,884,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
Every house looks the same, people are the same, "entertainment" doesn't really include anything other than going to ____'s house. You can't really walk anywhere. You need a car for everything and shopping consists of little else than going to the local strip mall or Walmart. I don't know, it just seems like such a horrible way to live. It really perplexes me why people actually WANT to live in suburbia. I don't really mind living in a tiny apartment in the city because I spend most of my time outside anyways. In suburbia, you really are trapped in your house and can't go anywhere.
I can tell that you haven't lived in the burbs.

Not everyone wants to live in a cramped city (where houses can look the same in pockets, too). Not everyone needs entertainment at their feet 24-hrs a day.

I live in the burbs. Lots of our neighbors don't do much in the city (in our case, it's Portland) but each household has their own interests and pastimes. Many are very family-oriented, a few (the singles) seem to work all the time. The best schools are in the burbs.

My husband and I do a lot of things during the summer months, but being outside in winter doesn't interest me. There are LOT of things to do in AND around Portland during the good months, to the point that it gets over-whelming. And, yes, we use a car. Big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.