U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 PM

634 posts, read 1,267,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Here's a secret:

Neither urban nor suburban life are the key to happiness. Rural life is the way to go!

But, if I had to rank the three lifestyles, suburban life would come in a distant third. I find rural areas very appealing and interesting, urban areas very interesting but not appealing as a place to live, and suburban areas seem both uninteresting and unappealing as a place to live.
I do enjoy the serenity of rural surroundings. Had I been born with the means I could have seen myself owning a cabin on a lake somewhere (a calm lake with loons and low-key people, not the kinds of lakes which pervade with raucous drunks and such). Even so, I'm really more about the city. I love the hustle, bustle, and sounds of things like trains, buses, conversation, haggling, and all the good and bad which comes with it. Plus, I love people watching. But I will say the stars are quite fine in a rural setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 04:30 PM

634 posts, read 1,267,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Yeah if you consider manual labor most of your life as happiness, I guess if it keeps you busy enough to stop you from actually thinking about life then yeah anyone doing it would be happy or so they think. Also whats considered urban life in most North American cities isn't really urban on a worldly level anyway.
Nothing wrong with breaking a sweat. Certainly nothing wrong with pointing to something which required physical labor and saying, "I did that." You'll not find someone more committed to the life of the mind than me, but that's not where people find their worth. Ideas don't put food in the refrigerator and it seems the only people who can get paid to make things up are those who work in structured finance. I'd take a job which allowed me to work, get my muscles sore, and get home to a cold beer in celebration. Actually, I'd take a job of any kind.

And surely there is at least one North American city which fits into your strict standards of what constitutes a "worldly" or "urban" enclave?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,777,286 times
people, you realize the OP has no interest in really opening his/her mind up.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,297,248 times
Because we want to live as far away from crack heads as possible

Old 01-11-2011, 11:26 PM

17,409 posts, read 21,254,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Suburbia is good for raising kids.
"Grazing" kids in suburbia, IMO, is a form of child abuse.

If I had had kids, I would have exposed them to the harshest elements of life from infant onwards.

I grew up in a suburb in the 50's, and never saw a black or brown person until I was 21, when I left town for a bigger city. What an abusive childhood I had!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:09 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,976,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
people, you realize the OP has no interest in really opening his/her mind up.
Oh probably, but sometimes a silly or stubborn OP creates a thread that somehow lead to a good conversation.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 AM

6,932 posts, read 8,093,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

If I had had kids, I would have exposed them to the harshest elements of life from infant onwards.

I grew up in a suburb in the 50's, and never saw a black or brown person until I was 21, when I left town for a bigger city. What an abusive childhood I had!
Suburbs are not exclusive to whites anymore. They are becoming more and more diverse.

I'm black, and I live and grew up in the suburbs all my life.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 AM

4,111 posts, read 7,637,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Wow! I can't imagine such an upbringing.. And to think I spent my whole childhood in over 50% black classrooms in the south suburb of Chicago!

The north suburbs are a lot more white than the south suburbs. But then again, the north side of the city is a lot more white than the south side of the city.

And yeah, some suburbs like Harvey and Maywood have some pretty harsh elements just like some parts the city.

Last edited by urza216; 01-12-2011 at 11:23 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 03:55 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,798,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Because we want to live as far away from crack heads as possible
Unfortunately, crime and drugs and all that sort of thing do eventually tend to migrate to suburbs, at least in some areas.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 PM

746 posts, read 1,490,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Unfortunately, crime and drugs and all that sort of thing do eventually tend to migrate to suburbs, at least in some areas.
True. In fact, I've seen some suburbs that are worse off then some inner city neighbourhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or