U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 PM

535 posts, read 1,212,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And yet you're considering Houston, Dallas, and of all places Atlanta??
I live in Miami right know and it's very dangerous. I watch the news everyday and always someone gets killed or they find out drugs....

Atlanta has nice suburbs like Roswell and kennesaw (not sure about the spelling). And Houston is a well paid city, affordable cost of living and a more professional economy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,223,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
I live in Miami right know and it's very dangerous. I watch the news everyday and always someone gets killed or they find out drugs....

Atlanta has nice suburbs like Roswell and kennesaw (not sure about the spelling). And Houston is a well paid city, affordable cost of living and a more professional economy...
A more professional economy than what?

Every major city has nice suburbs -- even hellholes like New Orleans and Detroit. If you're considering the suburbs, why would it matter if Chicago proper (or anywhere else for that matter) has a lot of crime and gangs?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
A more professional economy than what?

Every major city has nice suburbs -- even hellholes like New Orleans and Detroit. If you're considering the suburbs, why would it matter if Chicago proper (or anywhere else for that matter) has a lot of crime and gangs?
I mean there're big fat companies headquartered in Houston. Chicago also has those ones. I can get used to the cold, but I'm not sure about the cost of living (for sure is cheaper and better paid than Miami). I would consider a suburb if I don't earn enough and for sure when I marry and start a family.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:54 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,223,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
I mean there're big fat companies headquartered in Houston. Chicago also has those ones. I can get used to the cold, but I'm not sure about the cost of living (for sure is cheaper and better paid than Miami). I would consider a suburb if I don't earn enough and for sure when I marry and start a family.
OK, so... Chicago is out because of crime and cost of living, but Atlanta and Jersey are still in the running...

Old 01-11-2011, 02:46 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times
How about White Plains, NY or Stamford, CT? Those cities meet all of your criteria, with the exception that cost of living is very high.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 PM

257 posts, read 350,477 times
You'll land a job quicker in D.C.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
OK, so... Chicago is out because of crime and cost of living, but Atlanta and Jersey are still in the running...
Don't get me wrong. If I find a good paying job in Chicago, I'll happily move

Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 AM

4,461 posts, read 7,526,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
When the OPS overall message is "quality of life with diversity," I'm not sure that Philly would really be a fit. Diversity abounds, but this has never been a quality of life city unless you can afford to shelter yourself from what the city actually is. Also, low skill wages suck here compared to the cost of living, and good jobs are not plentiful. But that all depends on the OP's profession.
That's a bit of an oversimplification. To be sure, there are neighborhoods in Philly where I completely agree that the quality of life is extremely lacking. However, there are plenty of other neighborhoods where a great quality of life and sense of community can be had (and the job market is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be). Not to mention there are plenty of suburban areas that are options.

To the OP, I think to meet all of your criteria, you'd find exactly what you're looking for in all of the major cities (and their surrounding suburbs) of the Northeast and Midwest. If cost of living is a major concern, however, you're definitely not going to get as much bang for your buck in the New York or DC areas.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 AM

56,660 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Outside of public transportation, an Upstate NY area you might like is Rochester. It pretty much fits what you are looking for. Schools might be a concern within the city of Rochester outside of some decent to good magnet HS's(School of ther Arts and Wilson Magnet) and some decent to good elementary schools, but there are charter schools that are alright and some of the best public school districts in the country are in the area(i.e.-Brighton, Pittsford, Fairport, etc.). Brighton is also very close to some trendy urban neighborhoods and has walkable neighborhoods as well. This could help give you an idea about the Hispanic community there: Welcome to LaVoz | Rochester NY | Newspaper (http://www.rochesterlavoz.com/site/ - broken link)

Rochester Hispanic Business Association

::: Puerto Rican Festival (Rochester, NY) | Become A Sponsor :::

RHYBL - Rochester Hispanic Youth Baseball League

and more information: VisitRochester

City of Rochester

Rochester, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rochester Wiki - The People's Guide to Rochester

Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM

634 posts, read 1,266,887 times
You should move wherever the job opportunities are. Good jobs. And if you can determine where that is (and please don't say Texas, because I'm right smack in the middle of Austin, Texas, have lived here since I was five and know the pulse of this putrid job market, and the truth of the matter is there are no GOOD jobs here) please let some us know.

Otherwise, Texas doesn't really have what you want as far as four seasons and walkability and public transportation. At may check some of your other boxes, but on those three it will surely disappoint. The weather is beyond public control, but walkability and public transportation are not really high on the list of most Texan municipalities. People are wedded to their cars here. Being close to a public transit stop does nothing for the cache of your property and does not increase the desirability of your locale.

Again, you should concentrate on finding a job first. Moving to Texas without work is bad news bears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or