U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:27 PM

4,327 posts, read 919,268 times

Advertisements

Sacramento
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 05:14 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,428,067 times
I dig a lot of cities. However, Chicago is my favorite! Why? It envelops me with love.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:29 PM

432 posts, read 356,884 times
I don't have a particular type when it comes to a city, if I like the city I like the city... Boston, Washington, Philly, New York, Portland(Maine),Atlanta, Chicago, Kansas City, Atlanta, San Antonio, Denver, Phoenix, LA, Salt Lake City, the bay area, Seattle are my top American cities.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:49 PM

2,037 posts, read 4,558,579 times
Lafayette, La.

Possibly some bias involved.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:16 PM

21,333 posts, read 21,906,527 times
I like cities that weren't captured.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:29 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,129,813 times
My top 10:

1. Chicago - Even though I am leaving, to me it has the perfect balance. Urban enough, without being to dense or congested. You can live easily with or without a car. Not too expensive or too cheap (if that were ever a bad thing). Diverse. Beautiful architecture and I think the most beautiful US city in regards to built environment.

2. San Francisco - - Easily the most beautiful US city in regards to the combo of built environment and natural surroundings. Diverse, charming, and just such a unique city for the US.

3. Miami - So exotic and different. Love the Latin vibe and culture of the place. 5 years ago this city would be at the bottom of my top 10 but not it towards the top. The city is really changing adding new museums, becoming more walkable, neighborhoods are taking off like Midtown and Wynwood, and naturally it's beautiful place, water and palm trees everywhere! I look forward to moving here and seeing the city evolve.

4. San Diego Such a gorgeous and classy city. Has a nice urban core but outside of that not as interesting, but the mountains and ocean make up for that. While not too exciting, this city has enough for you to do, it's own culture and probably the most pleasant city in the US. It's such a nice place. The low crime and weather are also what make this such a nice city.

5. New Orleans - This city is so alive and festive. From the charming architecture, to delicious food, to the unique southern culture it has, this city is a gem. It's one of the most unique cities in the US with so much history and culture of its own.

6. Boston - A charming city with so much history and things to do. Feels a little more provincial but it's a city that is so much fun exploring and seeing. It's elegant in it's own way.

7. NYC - - Exciting, stressful, dirty, exhilarating, cosmopolitan, there are so many words to describe this city. There is so much to love about it and so much to hate about it. There is no other place in the world like it and that's what makes it so special. I would never live there, but I respect the city for what it is, and it's always an experience when I go.

8. Cincinnati -
- I think one of the most underrated cities in the country. It has some of the most charming architecture I have ever seen. The hills, the river, the cozy and cool neighborhoods. This is one of the coolest cities and I love visiting every time.

9. Honolulu - Beautiful landscape, beautiful weather and a dense city to boot. Would be up higher if it wasn't so isolated and if the city had better architecture (some of the ugliest architecture I have ever seen in the a city).

10. DC - I don't love DC and I would never live there, but I do enjoy it. Beautiful architecture, lots of history, walkable, and IMO very European in feel.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:08 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,331,995 times
Miami:
Genuinely the only city I actually like for what it is in the United States. I know, I know, you can probably find at least 300 posts from me on this forum with me saying "I like (insert American city here)" but I say that more in the sense that I liked my visit in those cities or that I think they are decent enough places. Not too shabby as places, so "I like" them enough that if I had to envision a life in any of those cities, perhaps I could, but none would be my first pick. I wouldn't even be happy to be there because I would always think to myself I could be somewhere better, somewhere I like way more, somewhere that fits me more. None of those things apply with me with regard to Miami. Truly Miami and its entire metropolitan area are one of the few, perhaps the only place in the United States that I have a genuine affinity for. I like everything about Miami, I see the issues and problems the city has in a lot of ways and even then none of those things have detracted me from ever liking Southeast Florida.

Seattle:
Increasingly becoming my second favorite city in the United States. Unlike Miami though, I'm not so sure that my affinity for Seattle is 100% genuine. I get the feeling that deep down inside Seattle gets high marks from me partly because it is in a country that I am not a huge fan of with regard to its cities and Seattle just happens to be one of the less shabby ones in that country, in my opinion. That being said, within the context of just the United States, fat freakin chance of me ever picking many places over Seattle. It does a helluva lot of things right and with its quality of life and standard of living aspects such as crime, blight, safety, income appreciation, real-estate value, educational attainment, job market - the least I find Seattle to be is offensive, because it is not. It doesn't offend me, which is rare, some cities, they way they are just outright offend me.

New York:
New York is the best city in the world and I definitely love the city, but unlike Miami I am not too sure if my affinity for New York is genuine. My favorite things about New York are in its diversity, its amenities, its size, its infrastructure, its services offered, and things like that. If New York wasn't diverse, I wouldn't like it at all. It would just be another typical Northeastern city to me, which I don't like, because all I eat everyday of my life, every meal of the day, is ethnic food. Non-specific to any part of the world but whatever I am in the mood for that day and the more unlimited I feel a city's options are, the better impression I have of the place. I definitely feel like I need New York, it has some things that interest me that no other city in America has. To me, if I had to pick a really big city in America it would be New York (and Miami) and that is it. My least favorite cities in America are the ones that come in population by metropolitan area after New York and ahead of Seattle (Miami being the lone exception) because I feel they are all hard to tolerate, at least to me. They aren't big like New York, don't have the energy, the bustle, the vibrancy, the amenities, the stores, the restaurants, the parks, EVERYTHING that New York has. They're all straight up lessor to New York, especially with regard to their (often) discombobulated infrastructure. All of them have worse attributes than New York, be it being more dangerous, having more blight, being poorer, having a helluva lot more traffic and congestion (without the vibrancy, bustle, and atmosphere of New York to justify putting up with these mediocre things). To me metropolitan areas between 6-19 million in America (Los Angeles on down to Atlanta) have all the worst qualities in American cities. They are too big to have that relaxed, more efficient, less time consuming, less congested, less polluted way of life of places like San Diego, Seattle, Portland, Denver, so on and so forth but also too small or too inferior with regard to their infrastructure and vibrancy and offerings compared to a New York. They're (PCSAs between 6-19 million in America) a middle layer of undesirable qualities to me, basically a running gag of undesirable qualities to me, the lone exception being Miami, because while it has those issues itself, it is a place I've genuinely come to like for what it is because of its weather, location, diversity, culture, offerings, entertainment, late night options, and outdoor water related options. Essentially America's PCSAs between 6-19 million, in my personal opinion, have to deal with big city issues without having the traits of the biggest city to compensate for it. Ugh. Terrible package. Terrible.

San Diego:
I love most things about San Diego but a couple of things really turn me off too. I like the area's size. Unlike places larger than it, it is a metropolitan area of 3 million people and feels like it is of manageable size and scale. It has all the essential amenities I need on a day-to-day basis and has dipped its toes into a helluva lot of things I like with regard to food, diversity, entertainment, urbanism in the core and stuff like that. It comes with America's most tolerable and comfortable weather and epically awesome scenery and location and it gives you that package while also being a low amount of blight city, a low poverty city, a low crime city, a highly educated city, a white collar job market city, and from Downtown San Diego to any other relevant part of the city is 25 minutes max of a drive. I'll take that. My idea of California living is to own property (a home) along the coast where the weather is perfect, the scenery is spectacular, and its not overly dense and congested, meaning you don't share your California with multi-millions of other people. With large population also comes issues; traffic, congestion, smog, pollution, water prices hiking due to increased restrictions, commute times increasing, habitat destruction. I don't want any of that in my version of California. Those issues disgust me. The San Francisco Bay Area would be a superior place today if it had the wiggle room of a 4.5 million person CSA, rather than the 8.6 jam packed traffic choked mess it is today. Hey, what is more clogged up at 8 A.M. in the morning? Michael Moore's toilet after burrito night or the roads of the San Francisco Bay Area? (Serious question) My issue with San Diego is that I have very little hope that it'll stay its current size and its current manageability. Like typical CA, it'll grow bigger, already is, and that's a crying shame. The only other thing I would like to see out of San Diego is more airline connections at the airport, and a bit higher density right in the Downtown core. San Diego would be ideal even more if it built itself like a Sydney, hopefully not like a San Francisco Bay Area.

Honolulu, Denver, Portland, Austin, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Madison, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Tucson, Tampa:
See the premise of my idea under San Diego, it'll explain why these cities. Frankly, I like and/or love all of these cities, love a helluva lot of aspects about all of them in their entirety. I would rather live in these cities than places like Los Angeles-Chicago-San Francisco Bay Area-Washington DC-Boston-Houston-Dallas-Atlanta-Philadelphia-Detroit and all of these medium cities are more desirable to me than those larger cities, of which, I would never in my life willingly live in most of those large cities (a few exceptions if presented the right job opportunity; but even that wouldn't be a first choice). I feel majority of these medium sized cities all offer a lot of what I ideally desire in a city and come with very respectable quality of life and standard of living features (well majority of them anyways; not all). I like that, that is why these places are under consideration for me.

Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey, Flagstaff, Sedona, Ashland, Portland (ME), Columbus, Indianapolis, Anchorage, Albany (NY), South Padre, Hilo, Santa Fe, Milwaukee, El Paso, Bellingham, Omaha, Naples-Cape Coral, Asheville:
These are some of the smaller cities that I like (plus Columbus, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Omaha, Albany, and El Paso as the large cities) and while these aren't among the first choice of places I would live in, I would rather live in any of these, or all of these than ever live in any 6-19 million person CSA in the United States (with the lone exception of Miami).

If you gave me a deal that I couldn't refuse with regard to career and pay, then I would be more than willing to consider the following, but make zero mistake, if I don't have to live in these places, then I wouldn't:
- Dallas
- Atlanta

I like Dallas more because it has a comprehensive train system and I've used it extensively before in the past. It edges out Atlanta because DART services the inner city and the key suburbs in their respective downtowns. I also like that DART has coverage to all of the entertainment and fun parts of Dallas proper. I like that I have the option of just leaving the car in the garage and making my way via train and walking. I also happen to like Dallas' urban core better than any other Sunbelt city, I think it is legit but could be better with even more vibrancy and amenities. Fortunately is trending in that direction. What I LOVE the most about it, compared to other 6-19 million areas (including Houston) is that its very user-friendly and uncongested for such a huge area. The roads flow freely and do so efficiently, commute times aren't ever increasing (like they are in San Francisco or Houston), and the area's infrastructure is well thought out. I give it major props, the airport is also spectacular. I like it.

Atlanta for much of the same reason, just replace having a regional train system with extensive coverage into its suburbs as Atlanta doesn't have a commuter rail system or an urban rail system to its suburbs in that manner. Atlanta is also more congested and its street network isn't laid out in a user-friendly manner, it isn't even on a grid. However Atlanta is incredibly cost effective and would present itself as an opportunity for me to experience a new American city, one that I haven't had the experience of ever living in before. The scenery in the surrounding area within 90 minutes, similar to Dallas, with the hills and forestation (and mountains just outside the metropolitan area) are an attractive feature, as is the entertainment options there.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 06-03-2016 at 03:19 PM..

Old 06-03-2016, 03:13 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,129,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Miami:
Genuinely the only city I actually like for what it is in the United States. I know, I know, you can probably find at least 300 posts from me on this forum with me saying "I like (insert American city here)" but I say that more in the sense that I liked my visit in those cities or that I think they are decent enough places. Not too shabby as places, so "I like" them enough that if I had to envision a life in any of those cities, perhaps I could, but none would be my first pick. I wouldn't even be happy to be there because I would always think to myself I could be somewhere better, somewhere I like way more, somewhere that fits me more. None of those things apply with me with regard to Miami. Truly Miami and its entire metropolitan area are one of the few, perhaps the only place in the United States that I have a genuine affinity for. I like everything about Miami, I see the issues and problems the city has in a lot of ways and even then none of those things have detracted me from ever liking Southeast Florida.

Seattle:
Increasingly becoming my second favorite city in the United States. Unlike Miami though, I'm not so sure that my affinity for Seattle is 100% genuine. I get the feeling that deep down inside Seattle gets high marks from me partly because it is in a country that I am not a huge fan of with regard to its cities and Seattle just happens to be one of the less shabby ones in that country, in my opinion. That being said, within the context of just the United States, fat freakin chance of me ever picking many places over Seattle. It does a helluva lot of things right and with its quality of life and standard of living aspects such as crime, blight, safety, income appreciation, real-estate value, educational attainment, job market - the least I find Seattle to be is offensive, because it is not. It doesn't offend me, which is rare, some cities, they way they are just outright offend me.

New York:
New York is the best city in the world and I definitely love the city, but unlike Miami I am not too sure if my affinity for New York is genuine. My favorite things about New York are in its diversity, its amenities, its size, its infrastructure, its services offered, and things like that. If New York wasn't diverse, I wouldn't like it at all. It would just be another typical Northeastern city to me, which I don't like, because all I eat everyday of my life, every meal of the day, is ethnic food. Non-specific to any part of the world but whatever I am in the mood for that day and the more unlimited I feel a city's options are, the better impression I have of the place. I definitely feel like I need New York, it has some things that interest me that no other city in America has. To me, if I had to pick a really big city in America it would be New York (and Miami) and that is it. My least favorite cities in America are the ones that come in population by metropolitan area after New York and ahead of Seattle (Miami being the lone exception) because I feel they are all hard to tolerate, at least to me. They aren't big like New York, don't have the energy, the bustle, the vibrancy, the amenities, the stores, the restaurants, the parks, EVERYTHING that New York has. They're all straight up lessor to New York, especially with regard to their (often) discombobulated infrastructure. All of them have worse attributes than New York, be it being more dangerous, having more blight, being poorer, having a helluva lot more traffic and congestion (without the vibrancy, bustle, and atmosphere of New York to justify putting up with these mediocre things). To me metropolitan areas between 6-19 million in America (Los Angeles on down to Atlanta) have all the worst qualities in American cities. They are too big to have that relaxed, more efficient, less time consuming, less congested, less polluted way of life of places like San Diego, Seattle, Portland, Denver, so on and so forth but also too small or too inferior with regard to their infrastructure and vibrancy and offerings compared to a New York. They're (PCSAs between 6-19 million in America) a middle layer of undesirable qualities to me, basically a running gag of undesirable qualities to me, the lone exception being Miami, because while it has those issues itself, it is a place I've genuinely come to like for what it is because of its weather, location, diversity, culture, offerings, entertainment, late night options, and outdoor water related options. Essentially America's PCSAs between 6-19 million, in my personal opinion, have to deal with big city issues without having the traits of the biggest city to compensate for it. Ugh. Terrible package. Terrible.

San Diego:
I love most things about San Diego but a couple of things really turn me off too. I like the area's size. Unlike places larger than it, it is a metropolitan area of 3 million people and feels like it is of manageable size and scale. It has all the essential amenities I need on a day-to-day basis and has dipped its toes into a helluva lot of things I like with regard to food, diversity, entertainment, urbanism in the core and stuff like that. It comes with America's most tolerable and comfortable weather and epically awesome scenery and location and it gives you that package while also being a low amount of blight city, a low poverty city, a low crime city, a highly educated city, a white collar job market city, and from Downtown San Diego to any other relevant part of the city is 25 minutes max of a drive. I'll take that. My idea of California living is to own property (a home) along the coast where the weather is perfect, the scenery is spectacular, and its not overly dense and congested, meaning you don't share your California with multi-millions of other people. With large population also comes issues; traffic, congestion, smog, pollution, water prices hiking due to increased restrictions, commute times increasing, habitat destruction. I don't want any of that in my version of California. Those issues disgust me. The San Francisco Bay Area would be a superior place today if it had the wiggle room of a 4.5 million person CSA, rather than the 8.6 jam packed traffic choked mess it is today. Hey, what is more clogged up at 8 A.M. in the morning? Michael Moore's toilet after burrito night or the roads of the San Francisco Bay Area? (Serious question) My issue with San Diego is that I have very little hope that it'll stay its current size and its current manageability. Like typical CA, it'll grow bigger, already is, and that's a crying shame. The only other thing I would like to see out of San Diego is more airline connections at the airport, and a bit higher density right in the Downtown core. San Diego would be ideal even more if it built itself like a Sydney, hopefully not like a San Francisco Bay Area.

Honolulu, Denver, Portland, Austin, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Madison, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Tucson, Tampa:
See the premise of my idea under San Diego, it'll explain why these cities. Frankly, I like and/or love all of these cities, love a helluva lot of aspects about all of them in their entirety. I would rather live in these cities than places like Los Angeles-Chicago-San Francisco Bay Area-Washington DC-Boston-Houston-Dallas-Atlanta-Philadelphia-Detroit and all of these medium cities are more desirable to me than those larger cities, of which, I would never in my life willingly live in most of those large cities (a few exceptions if presented the right job opportunity; but even that wouldn't be a first choice). I feel majority of these medium sized cities all offer a lot of what I ideally desire in a city and come with very respectable quality of life and standard of living features (well majority of them anyways; not all). I like that, that is why these places are under consideration for me.

Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey, Flagstaff, Sedona, Ashland, Portland (ME), Columbus, Indianapolis, Anchorage, Albany (NY), South Padre, Hilo, Santa Fe, Milwaukee, El Paso, Bellingham, Omaha, Naples-Cape Coral, Asheville:
These are some of the smaller cities that I like (plus Columbus, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Omaha, Albany, and El Paso as the large cities) and while these aren't among the first choice of places I would live in, I would rather live in any of these, or all of these than ever live in any 6-19 million person CSA in the United States (with the lone exception of Miami).
What do you love about Miami? I am just curious. I am moving there next year and it's one of my favorites.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:32 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,331,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
What do you love about Miami? I am just curious. I am moving there next year and it's one of my favorites.
That its environment is not replaceable.

The one thing you notice with most other American cities, even the ones that are distinct and distinguished is that other cities of "sizable" presence in the immediate region have characteristics, amenities, festivities, culture, events, weather, and ecosystems similar to that city. Not the case with Miami, which stands apart from the rest of Florida and the rest of America.

No other city in America has the exact features of Miami and the characteristics that come together to form the Southeast Florida metropolis. You essentially have the Atlantic, then a series of barrier islands, then you have the bays, then you have the mainland that is only 20 miles wide at its widest point, then you have the Everglades Swamp. It says something when you think about it in this manner; you have sharks in the ocean, you have anacondas and serpents underground, you have alligators and crocodiles living in the same metropolitan area together (only place on Earth with an environment conducive to that) on the other side. The climate is truly tropical, the only one of its kind on the mainland of the United States, and completely reminiscent of the part of world I was born in (Southeast Asia).

The city has contributed to its own style of music, its own style of art, its own style of performing venues and culture. The city has its own fusion based cuisine, influenced by a plethora of South American, Caribbean, and some American culinary scenes. The demographics and culture attributed are completely unorthodox for the rest of America, nowhere else has the same or even anywhere close to the same overall composition of ethnic groups and backgrounds.

The city is an ace if traveling is your hobby (my biggest hobby) and has a gateway destination to some of the world's most elite and world class cities. The city invests so much into very fun nightlife, outdoors recreation (especially water related and beach related; volleyball, jet skiing, diving, so on), and has the best electronic music festival by far in all of America (Ultra; I'm huge into electro). Couple all of that with beautiful new apartment units and housing, we're talking stainless steel sinks, wood flooring, air-conditioned and controlled, extravagant views of dual skylines (Miami and Miami Beach) with extensive water feature in between (the bays). The architecture and Spanish style buildings at street-level, its overall vibrancy and late night options for places to eat, drink, hang out.

I like that Miami has its hands on so many things and that the so many things it does is completely different from what goes on in 99% to 100% of the rest of America. I really love to play individual sports like tennis, golf, badminton and things like that and Miami is one of the most welcoming cities for all of these sports without sacrificing any of the major team sports (NBA, MLB, and soon MLS).

The only thing Miami lacks are mountains but honestly, given the regions climate, mountains would've sucked the life out of Miami as the heat would remain trapped in the city and not able to escape. So even being flat as a 2X4 works out for Miami.

My only hope for Miami with regard to improvement comes in the way of its job market. It needs to embrace a more diverse and knowledge based core of industries, other than that, if the city and region can improve its safety, poverty, and educational attainment situation, it would be extremely hard to top it.

All in my personal opinion though. I know others have varying accounts of their own too.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:15 PM

145 posts, read 104,418 times
Two above all others--

1. Philadelphia

2. Richmond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or