U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 AM
 
Location: Seattle Area
624 posts, read 1,203,949 times
Reputation: 341

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
As I use a wheelchair I think I would be freaked out by a city or town that doesn't have sidewalks. Florida has plenty of old people I'm surprised that's not an issue for them.

In many places that have them though the sidewalks aren't well-maintained. They have major cracks,
Quote:
blank spaces (sidewalk briefly ends then picks up again),
or are not level at all so can become a bumpy ride. I imagine for people not in chairs, exempting those who use baby strollers, you wouldn't even notice or care about sidewalk maintenance.
You just described many streets in DFW and Houston outside of the city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Southeastern Tennessee
711 posts, read 977,920 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
You mean there's towns where there's no sidewalks????
Yup. Some suburban communities in some cities and towns don't have sidewalks. Some folks have to walk in the grass or dirt roads to get to their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 08:25 PM
 
30 posts, read 22,982 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
As I use a wheelchair I think I would be freaked out by a city or town that doesn't have sidewalks. Florida has plenty of old people I'm surprised that's not an issue for them.

In many places that have them though the sidewalks aren't well-maintained. They have major cracks, blank spaces (sidewalk briefly ends then picks up again), or are not level at all so can become a bumpy ride. I imagine for people not in chairs, exempting those who use baby strollers, you wouldn't even notice or care about sidewalk maintenance.
This is my exact problem. I want to move to Florida but the lack of sidewalks is an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 09:12 PM
 
308 posts, read 186,503 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPastParalysis View Post
This is my exact problem. I want to move to Florida but the lack of sidewalks is an issue.
Almost every street in South Florida has a sidewalk..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Reno, NV
1,531 posts, read 706,394 times
Reputation: 1968
I think pretty much every street in Chicago has sidewalks except for a handful of major roads on the fringes of the city (like out hy O'Hare). Ditto goes for most of the inner-ring suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2018, 05:55 AM
 
21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Reputation: 19627
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Florida lacks sidewalks. South West Florida anyway.
Google Street view Cape Coral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Weird
It is weird but consider in FL people largely don't walk due mostly to the fact 9-10 months per year it's hotter than the hinges of hell. Going to the store one to two blocks away? They drive it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2018, 06:09 AM
 
1,837 posts, read 534,470 times
Reputation: 1220
Towns without sidewalks feel like the boonies to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2018, 12:53 PM
 
Location: SoCal
3,768 posts, read 2,557,729 times
Reputation: 2982
Santa Monica, all homes are on a sidewalk, and not behind gated communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2018, 02:36 PM
 
49 posts, read 17,763 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It is weird but consider in FL people largely don't walk due mostly to the fact 9-10 months per year it's hotter than the hinges of hell. Going to the store one to two blocks away? They drive it..
"Hinges of Hell." That is a good phrase. I have to remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2018, 04:14 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 1,201,781 times
Reputation: 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
You just described many streets in DFW and Houston outside of the city limits.
And a significant portion inside Houston city limits.
https://goo.gl/maps/avgvuyPUCA62

And unusable sidewalks in many areas where they do exist (Bus route. I have seen wheelchairs on the street as the sidewalk is impassible).
https://goo.gl/maps/Qqw4pvhGxKv

In the neighborhood, just random stop/starts.
https://goo.gl/maps/nCjec7kWpx62
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top