U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:08 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,264,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Florida's out: Florida Cancels High-Speed Rail Project, Rejects $2 Bln Funding - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110216-711148.html - broken link)

So now Florida, Wisconsin, & Ohio are all out of the run. The only place in the country that needs HSR is the Northeast, and no where else. Not Florida, not California, not the Pacific Northwest, none of those other places need it.
I think Cali would definitely be a good place for it, it has a huge population and two major anchor cities that are the perfect distance apart for HSR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 01:31 AM

624 posts, read 1,204,252 times
Quote:
Florida's out: Florida Cancels High-Speed Rail Project, Rejects $2 Bln Funding - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110216-711148.html - broken link)

So now Florida, Wisconsin, & Ohio are all out of the run. The only place in the country that needs HSR is the Northeast, and no where else. Not Florida, not California, not the Pacific Northwest, none of those other places need it.
States hope to cash in on Florida's rejection of…

I would think that either the NEC or CA will be the big winners after Florida's rejection.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:54 PM

48,141 posts, read 45,495,400 times
HSR getting rejected. I am at a loss at the moment. My values and my dreams are different from alot of other people's values and dreams. The goals I have seem to be a 180 from the main consensus. I want HSR, alot of people around either don't care or seem to be against it. Not all of them, but just enough to make a difference. I want things to progress, not regress.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:37 PM

964 posts, read 2,047,038 times
Quote:

Well, the Charlotte-Raleigh-Richomond southern extension of the Washington->Boston route has been heavily worked on by NC and VA, gradual improvements over the last decade. So - as a big chunk of work has been done, and ridership has steadily grown (I've taken it - there is commuter traffic between Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh; the last time I took it the train was crowded; another Raleigh-Greensboro-Charlotte scheduled run has been added due to demand), I'd say this would the the most natural (and easiest, given work already complete) candidate.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,600,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
HSR getting rejected. I am at a loss at the moment. My values and my dreams are different from alot of other people's values and dreams. The goals I have seem to be a 180 from the main consensus. I want HSR, alot of people around either don't care or seem to be against it. Not all of them, but just enough to make a difference. I want things to progress, not regress.
You didn't really believe that Florida could be that progressive, did you?

At any rate, I almost purchased a house a while ago in an area of FL that would have directly benefitted from HSR. The prospect of having HSR access was actually a big selling point for me. Still, I had doubts that Florida, of all places, would really go ahead with such a project.

I am exceedingly happy that I did not spent my money there based on the apparently delusional hope that this part of the US could actually try to keep up with developments in the rest of the world or even be a beacon of foresight in the US.

Ah well, I suppose Florida will remain the backwater it has always been.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:28 PM

22,142 posts, read 23,668,851 times
I am very much for high speed rail in the US, but I am really happy that Florida rejected high speed rail funding, because it was probably one of the worst rail plans that applied.

High speed rail has to make sense, and the Florida simply did not. Orlando and Tampa were too close together, and high speed rail is of marginal usefulness if you don't have a good transit system to get to and from the high speed rail stations within the cities.

Right now, the northeast corridor should be the priority and after that California (LA does actually have serviceable mass transit and is committed to expanding it and there are various communities within the Central Valley on the way to the Bay Area that are of fairly large size and finally the ends at San Diego and Sacramento which also have mass transit expansion plans and large metros), and then a toss-up between a northwestern line and a midwest transit hub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.