U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:29 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,417,218 times

Advertisements

We really do need to stop with this auto-centric culture. The current trends in urban-design and architecture are trying to get people to stop designing around the car, and start designing around the pedestrian, to help eliminate the need for a car once you get to your destination or for getting to your destination. Cars should not be necessary, and in my opinion it was allowing it to become the dominant and "only viable means of transportation" was one of the worst things we've done as a species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:21 AM

887 posts, read 1,378,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
We really do need to stop with this auto-centric culture. The current trends in urban-design and architecture are trying to get people to stop designing around the car, and start designing around the pedestrian, to help eliminate the need for a car once you get to your destination or for getting to your destination. Cars should not be necessary, and in my opinion it was allowing it to become the dominant and "only viable means of transportation" was one of the worst things we've done as a species.
Have you ever lived or done business outside of a major urban city/metro? While i agree that the majority of US cities should be developed to be less "car-centric", there's still a big chunk of life and important economic activity that takes place in areas where the density is never going to be high enough to warrant much any public transportation, and a car is absolutely necessary.

Even in the densest cities with very extensive public transit, there are many instances where an automobile is still the most practical thing to have for the movement of people and goods.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:31 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,417,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
Have you ever lived or done business outside of a major urban city/metro? While i agree that the majority of US cities should be developed to be less "car-centric", there's still a big chunk of life and important economic activity that takes place in areas where the density is never going to be high enough to warrant much any public transportation, and a car is absolutely necessary.

Even in the densest cities with very extensive public transit, there are many instances where an automobile is still the most practical thing to have for the movement of people and goods.
Yes, I live in Southern, NJ where mass transit is a truck full of farm workers. The problem with the car, is that is the fact that people automatically assume that it is the most practical thing, when in reality it is the most convenient. Even in rural areas it can become less of a necessity if cities, towns, and villages were built better. If we densified our small towns and made all of our developments communities where you WALK to the store (just like your grandparents did, unless they lived on the outskirts of town) Just because you don't live in the city doesn't mean that you have to live in sprawl.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 AM

624 posts, read 1,205,471 times
Obama unveils high-speed passenger rail plan - CNN
Just thought of adding this, seems a national high speed rail is not as far fetched as some have mentioned.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:29 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,288,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Obama unveils high-speed passenger rail plan - CNN
Just thought of adding this, seems a national high speed rail is not as far fetched as some have mentioned.
Notice that while the article mentions a "national" network, you find in the details that this proposed "national network" is really just a handful of separate corridors.

IMO the most telling sentence in the whole article is this: "The blueprint envisions some trains traveling at top speeds of over 150 mph." I presume then that most of these corridors will be less than 150mph -- probably considerably less than -- which greatly diminishes their appeal as an alternative to current forms of transportation.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Notice that while the article mentions a "national" network, you find in the details that this proposed "national network" is really just a handful of separate corridors.

IMO the most telling sentence in the whole article is this: "The blueprint envisions some trains traveling at top speeds of over 150 mph." I presume then that most of these corridors will be less than 150mph -- probably considerably less than -- which greatly diminishes their appeal as an alternative to current forms of transportation.
True, I had noticed the same thing even before I posted it, but you must remember that there must be multiple corridors before a true coast to coast HSR could be proposed, at least IMO.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:49 AM

There's really no reason for coast-to-coast HSR. It would be a waste in the vast expanses of the western U.S.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There's really no reason for coast-to-coast HSR. It would be a waste in the vast expanses of the western U.S.
You're probably right about the coast to coast but an eastcoast HSR from Boston to Miami would be more probable; just think of all the major population centers a route like that would serve?

Old 02-12-2011, 11:58 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,812,909 times
With all of this talk about HSR, I wonder where's the conversation regarding improvement of the existing Amtrak service? It could use a lot of improvement.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
With all of this talk about HSR, I wonder where's the conversation regarding improvement of the existing Amtrak service? It could use a lot of improvement.
This being a federal initiative and all, it's safe to assume it would be Amtrak running the system. So, there's your Amtrak service improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.