Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 07:42 PM

25 posts, read 44,384 times

Advertisements

So I've been through a couple of tough years, couldn't really work much..so right now I am unemployed, have no car, and have enough money to support myself for not longer than a month or so..
I need some ideas about decent resort towns and/or national parks anywhere within the US where the season is about to start to pick up and employers (hotels, etc) are probably gonna start hiring for the spring-summer season.
Another thing that ran through my mind is maybe a town/mid size city where I wouldn't necessarily need a car but it's relatively cheap to live and entry level jobs are not too tough to come by..
I'm a male in my mid-20's and don't mind travelling and moving around much.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I love reading through this forum and I know there are plenty of people who are knowledgable, so please share your ideas if you don't mind. Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,667 times
Im in a similar situation. My husband and I cannot find work here in Wisconsin and are looking for a new place to start fresh. I have never lived anywhere else but he has lived all over the world. Any suggestions you may have would be much appreciated.
We have been looking into Washington. It seems to be laid back and there are jobs in that area as well as reasonable rent.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Home Depot will be hiring about 60,000 seasonal workers around the U.S (Home Depot to hire 60,000 seasonal workers - Feb. 15, 2011).

Check them out.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
If you can do physical work (like hard labor) I'd recommend looking in western North Dakota. It's not a seasonal job, though, and it's not cheap to live here. That being said, due to the housing crunch up here a lot of companies are starting to offer some sort of housing to employees (I know Schlumberger does this, Halliburton as well). You'd have to get up here, but there's work if you want it. People up here are easily making over $50k in the oil fields (that's on the low end).

Old 02-21-2011, 06:20 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Just a thought but if you have any hospitality industry experience you might consider working on a cruise ship. The turnover is high because of the nature of the work. Miami and Fort Lauderdale are the cruise ship meccas in the US, though several ports along the Atlantic coast (and elsewhere) now have ships based there. Here's a list of ports with ships: US Embarkation Ports: address information for each CRUISE port provided by The Cruise Web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.