U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:21 PM

606 posts, read 2,777,591 times

Advertisements

inferior to Vriginia, isn't that place pretty hick, and i mean woodsy, and pretty crappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 181,501 times
Oh, yeah, that is true about West Virginia.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:06 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,446,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA777 View Post
**I have narrowed down to 6 States that I am considering**

Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Minneapolis, MN
Seattle, WA
Philadelphia, PA
Portland, OR
I didn't read any other posts in the thread, just wanted to say that it looks like you've done your homework. There isn't a dog in your list, so it really depends on you visiting those places and finding out if you really want to be there.

And this is probably the least helpful post in the thread, but I honestly think you've done a good job of narrowing your choices. I have my personal biases but they would be of no use to you. Good luck! May the best city win.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:07 AM

404 posts, read 544,908 times
Here's a cost of living calculator....

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Going with the GA in your handle, I used Atlanta Georgia to Chicago and found out that it will cost your 20% more to live in Chicago and keep your current standard of living. So if you are making 50K in Georgia, you'll need 60 K in Chicago.

The calculator lists everything from housing costs, medicine, milk to a trip to the zoo.

Have a great day!

William

Old 07-20-2007, 03:38 PM

35 posts, read 179,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepizzaguy View Post
Here's a cost of living calculator....

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Going with the GA in your handle, I used Atlanta Georgia to Chicago and found out that it will cost your 20% more to live in Chicago and keep your current standard of living. So if you are making 50K in Georgia, you'll need 60 K in Chicago.

The calculator lists everything from housing costs, medicine, milk to a trip to the zoo.

Have a great day!

William

William - Thanks for your help and the Cost of Living Calculator info. I will do further research regarding the cost. Have an excellent weekend!

Old 07-20-2007, 03:45 PM

35 posts, read 179,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
I didn't read any other posts in the thread, just wanted to say that it looks like you've done your homework. There isn't a dog in your list, so it really depends on you visiting those places and finding out if you really want to be there.

And this is probably the least helpful post in the thread, but I honestly think you've done a good job of narrowing your choices. I have my personal biases but they would be of no use to you. Good luck! May the best city win.

If you don't mind can you offer me your personal biases regarding the states/cities I mentioned above?

Have you personally lived in these states/cities?

Oh, regarding not having a dog on my list is not of great importance at the present moment since I will most likely get a dog or a couple of dogs once I move and get settled in. I grew up with different types of animals but mainly dogs-different types of breeds. Although, I would like to travel more and having a dog would be unfair to the animal if I am not around to take care of him/her.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:11 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,320,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Lover View Post
Virginia Has The Chesapeake Bay,
so does Maryland - actually more of the ches is in MD than VA and most people I know from outside when they hear the chesapeake bay think MD

Quote:
Assateague National Seashore
that would be 2/3rds in MD, 1/3 in VA

Quote:
Richmond, the former capital of the Confederacy (also on the James River), Virginia Beach (one of the best on the East Coast), the scenic Shenandoah River, Arlington (located on the Potomac River, near Washington, D.C.), and I might think of more later... LOL
Quote:
and as for Maryland
Richmond isn't that special being the cap - annapolis was the capitol of the US. MD has Ocean city as a large beach town, kind of like a smaller scale VA beach. Md also has Baltimore - a larger city than any city in VA. We also have the patomac river (which belongs to MD). We also have a lot of history too. What Im trying to get at here is that VA isn't THAT special as you have made it seem on almost every post here at city-data.

Quote:
And Delaware... yeah... nothing there.
HAHAHA!!!! you're kidding!Right? sorry, but WOW! Actually I have had more fun in DE than I have ever had in VA. I like DE so much and to say nada there?!!? makes me laugh out loud

Quote:
So, after that, Virginia is the clear choice!
That would be his choice and from his list, they are non close to VA. Im sure his preference is a bit different than yours

P.S.: Im really sorry if i sounded mean - was just a little irritated

Old 07-21-2007, 05:17 AM

1,134 posts, read 913,548 times
Quote:
No, I can go on and on and on about Virginia, its history, and how every state is inferior to it.
You funny

Old 07-21-2007, 10:53 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,446,074 times
Quote:
No, I can go on and on and on about Virginia...
NO KIDDING? We hadn't noticed! Do tell us, do you like anything about Virginia? And please make sure you post your comments in every thread on this website because we're all wondering how you feel.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:04 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,990,543 times
Houston

Just like Chicago without the winters and the high cost-of-living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or