U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:50 PM

606 posts, read 2,779,173 times

Advertisements

Richmond! just kidding, no don't choose Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 08:17 PM

35 posts, read 179,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston

Just like Chicago without the winters and the high cost-of-living.

How hot does it get in Houston?

I have been to Phoenix, AZ and the heat was too much for me so is Houston the same as Phoenix, AZ although only if you have been to Phoenix, AZ?

Is it humid & hot or dry & hot?

If so, you stated it's like Chicago so is Chicago humid & hot or dry & hot during the summer?

I do enjoy the 4 seasons especialy during the holidays but I have not lived in an area where it snows during the winter season. It is brutal?

I have been to New York City when it snowed there and I do like it and can adapt to it - is it like New York?

Thanks for your info! Great Help.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:58 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,447,935 times
GA777:

Your questions/comments comparing different climates are always going to evoke conflicting responses because of people's preferences. I cannot tolerate the intense sun, extreme heat and dry air of a place like Phoenix. Even though I loathe the summer weather in Houston, I would choose it over Phoenix. But other people would choose Phoenix. There is no right or wrong about this because everyone reacts differently, it depends on your body type, what you're used to, your physiology, all kinds of factors that will affect what you FEEL when you're in different places.

Here in Austin I dread the "dog days of summer" when the winds die down and the temperature gets up around 100, it's still kind of humid and the air gets hazy... truly disgusting TO ME, but I know several people who LOVE that weather. They prefer it to spring or fall!!!

If you want to maximize your experience of weather changes and every type of climate, choose a place in the center of the country such as Kansas City. They get it all, sometimes in one day. But the most rapid changes and wild swings in weather are found in the northern high plains, especially around Rapid City. Look at the historic weather stats, they're ridiculous! Anything can happen there at any time of year.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:09 PM

606 posts, read 2,779,173 times
Chicago, Detroit, seattle, Millwaukee,New York. from when I visited I liked those cities.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:06 PM

20 posts, read 50,539 times
Default Something for VALover

I love VA also. I've lived in, maybe, 10 different states including VA and it is beautiful. The downside of VA is that you have to almost be a millionaire to live in northern VA and the other parts are just no where near as charming. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I was making 300-400 k per yr.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:12 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,111,299 times
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Minneapolis, MN
Philly, PA

These four above are segregated and deal with a lot of violent crime in certain areas. Chicago for one is expensive. None seem to be green.

Of your choices Portland, OR or Seattle, WA seem to have the best quality of life and fit your needs. Green, low conentrations of high poverty/high crime neighborhoods, walkable, transit.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:24 AM

16 posts, read 73,044 times
Portland is a nice area. A lot to do, nice area, close to outdoor activities.

Minneapolis is a great underrated town, but the winters are rough.

I do not like Philadelphia. It's not a very friendly town and the population is shrinking. Some of the suburbs are okay, but expensive.

Seattle seemed okay, but the housing costs and overall cost of living seemed high...but I could be wrong.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:23 AM

375 posts, read 1,187,796 times
If you like sunny weather stay away from Seattle. It isn't the rain but the constant gray days. I think they lead the nation in SAD disorder.
I like Chicago but it is expensive and Minneapolis is great if you like winter. Boston is also expensive.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:29 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,255,883 times
Boston
Minneapolis
Portland
Chicago

But I like 4 seasons and don't mind cold and snow at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or