U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 AM

4,136 posts, read 7,191,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Other advantage for Atlanta and often forgotten : Atlanta metro is the favorite metro area for immigrants from Africa, and african immigrants have more babies than African Americans..And Miami's black growth is mainly from Haiti I guess
The disparity between Dallas and Atlanta for African immigrants isn't that large. Not much of an advantage in that category judging from the 2000 census. We want know the official data until the census releases its estimates. The biggest difference is ATL metro is attracting MASSIVE numbers of black Americans from the North, Midwest and a fair amount out West. ATL added more than double the number domestic black migrants, substantially, more than your nearest competitor that classifies as NO CONTEST. Miami has always had a sizable black community that is often overlooked.

Last edited by kdogg817; 01-18-2011 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,436,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The disparity between Dallas and Atlanta for African immigrants isn't that large. Not much of an advantage in that category judging from the 2000 census. We want know the offical data until the census releases its estimates. The biggest difference is ATL metro is attracting MASSIVE numbers of black Americans from the North, Midwest and a fair amount out West. When you add more than double the number of your nearest competive that classifies as NO CONTEST. Miami has always had a sizable black community that is often overlooked.
2000 it's old, the african immigration to the US exploded you know (30,000 in 2000 / 124,000 in 2009), they'll have an impact..You can see the impact of the somali immigrants in Minneapolis for example.
In Miami they have AA, sure, but don't underestimate the haitian immigration, the US welcomed 200,000 of them for 2001-2009, and South Florida is their main destination, and they have more babies than AAs too.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 AM

4,136 posts, read 7,191,425 times
Quote:
2000 it's old, the african immigration to the US exploded you know (30,000 in 2000 / 124,000 in 2009), they'll have an impact..You can see the impact of the somali immigrants in Minneapolis for example.
In Miami they have AA, sure, but don't underestimate the haitian immigration, the US welcomed 200,000 of them for 2001-2009, and South Florida is their main destination, and they have more babies than AAs too.
Thatís relatively small if youíre stating that African immigration to the U.S. was only 124,000 last decade. If youíre saying that 124,000 African immigrants moved to ATL since 2009 than I would most definitely classify that as a boom.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
That’s relatively small if you’re stating that African immigration to the U.S. was only 124,000 last decade. If you’re saying that 124,000 African immigrants moved to ATL since 2009 than I would most definitely classify that as a boom.
No...124,000 in 2009 only ! But 750,000 for the last decade.About african immigration in Atlanta it's about 50,000 for Atlanta metro the last decade...If you think about their kids you can imagine they represent 15-20% of the black growth in Atlanta.
But apparently I was wrong : Atlanta metro was the third destination for african immigrants, NY metro is first and DC metro second

Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,460,039 times
Quote:
Other advantage for Atlanta and often forgotten : Atlanta metro is the favorite metro area for immigrants from Africa, and african immigrants have more babies than African Americans..And Miami's black growth is mainly from Haiti I guess
Can that be proven?? I beg to differ that DC metro has more Africans than ATL... I know it's the hub for Ethiopian immigrants for sure

Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Can that be proven?? I beg to differ that DC metro has more Africans than ATL... I know it's the hub for Ethiopian immigrants for sure
No sorry, I checked the immigration stats, and NY metro is the favorite, followed by DC then Atlanta

Old 01-18-2011, 10:19 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,329,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What does that even mean???

It appears you do seem quite jealous of Atlanta and its success; I don't see the difference between blacks moving to Texas cities vs. Atlanta, but yet you keep making it a big dead "Black people need to quit moving to ATL!"....WHY??.

You've been pretty much hoping for an ATL type of growth and development in Texas cities. I still to this day don't understand why don't you just move to Atlanta:

1. You want a large vibrant Black Community
2. You prefer Atlanta's geography over Houston/Dallas.
3. You prefer the architectural stylings of Atlanta over Houston/Dallas
4. You prefer a much more lush enviroment.

Yet, Atlanta doesn't do it for you??? Am I missing smething??
He wishes Alabama had Atlanta's growth and prosperity, so he hitches onto the Texas cities as a way of hating on Atlanta.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 AM

12,356 posts, read 18,231,246 times
That's so not true. Man, you are so desperate. You just love picking on me.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:11 AM

3,263 posts, read 4,673,660 times
Quote:
I'll relate some statistics from another thread recently, that had links to lots of DHS statistics on states with immigrants attaining permanent status.

Disclaimers:

1) This is not a measure of movement of people nor number of people. This is a meaure of immigrants earning permanent status, which is correlated with the above, but not perfectly, not is it causal with the above.
2) These statistics are by state, not metro.
3) These are from fiscal 2009.

Georgia, with a population of 10 million, had 5,944 Africans gain permanent status. Texas, with a population of 25 million, had 10,255 Africans gain permanent status. So that's a bit of a per capita edge to Georgia.

The largest group for each state was Nigerians. Georgia had about 1,100 Nigerians, while Texas had 2,600 gain status.

Georgia had nearly as many Ethiopians gain status as Texas (both around 1,000).

Both states had reasonably large Kenyan growth (1,000 for Texas, 500 for Georgia).

Georgia had relatively strong showings among West Africans in general (Senegalese, Liberians, Ghanaians, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, etc), gaining about as many as Texas in these categories in raw numbers.

Texas leads Georgia in North Africans by a fair margin--such as Morocco, Egypt, Algeria.

Other African countries are a mixed bag.

A few other notes comparing the states:

- Texas has a far, far larger Middle Eastern presence than Georgia.
- Georgia's Caribbean growth is far more robust, with significantly greater raw numbers than Texas, especially Jamaicans and Haitians. Exception is Cuba.
- Texas' Mexican, Central American, and northern South American numbers are a ton higher. Southern South America is a mixed bag, with Georgia generally leading per capita.
- Texas is doing a bit better among Asians in general, especially Vietnamese and Thai, but is notably lagging in Koreans.
- Georgia doing better among Eastern Europeans, but these are a small immigrant group by comparison.
- Texas leads per capita overall, in large part owing to the huge amount of Latin American immigrants.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 AM

3,479 posts, read 4,373,748 times
Since I lived in Philadelphia for most of my life, the exceptional position of Philadelphia in this data interests me. I think that at least some of black-white conflict in Philadelphia (maybe only a small percentage of it, but still some) is more of a North-South cultural conflict. Also, in the time I lived in Philadelphia, it seemed that I ran into an increasing number of blacks from the south, but maybe I just got better at recognizing the southern currents within African-American culture there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or