U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2011, 11:30 AM

10,177 posts, read 10,132,296 times
Where are the black that are moving to Philadelphia coming from? Just asking....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 03:10 PM

279 posts, read 295,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...false&-format=

California 2009
Non-Hispanic White: 15,325,751
Hispanic: 13,681,370
Black (alone and in combination): 2,596,923 (2,159,178 alone)
Asian (alone and in combination): 5,137,990 (4,559,739 alone)

California - DP-1. Profile of General Demographic Characteristics:**2000

California 2000
Non-Hispanic White: 15,816,790
Hispanic: 10,996,556
Black (alone and in combination): 2,513,041 (2,263,882 alone)
Asian (alone and in combination): 4,155,685 (3,697,583 alone)

Non-Hispanic White Decrease: -431,039
Black alone decrease: -104,704 (but the combination increased by 83,882)

Hispanics increased by 2,684,814
Asians increased by 982,305

As for why Blacks are leaving California: well, why does anyone leave California? It's become extremely cost prohibitive to live here while services and infrastructure seem to be getting worse. It's really the worst of both worlds.

I kind of wish that Blacks and Whites weren't leaving California in large numbers, but for those who are still staying here, I commend them staying in a place that has taken extreme turns for the worst in the past few years. For those who've moved, I wish them luck and hopefully find what they are looking for wherever they relocate to

As for the Latino-Black gang wars: really, if you're not a criminal, you almost have nothing to worry about. There are people who get caught in the crossfire (IE: the 14 year old girl in Harbor Gateway who got shot by some cholos for being black), but for the most part, gangs really only target their own "group" more than they target others. Hell, I grew up in a Latino neighborhood, and never ONCE got jumped or accosted by them for being Asian. Although, it does help being Filipino, because a lot of them feel that being both part of the Spanish Empire gives us a lot of commonality.
Very interesting experience Lifeshadower. I'm Filipino as well and I grew up in Norwalk which is just southeast of LA. I can tell you from my upbringing, I experienced quite a bit of racism and resentment from a lot Mexicans particularly the ones who have the "Cholo" or "Sureno" mindset.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:23 PM

2,685 posts, read 3,694,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
Very interesting experience Lifeshadower. I'm Filipino as well and I grew up in Norwalk which is just southeast of LA. I can tell you from my upbringing, I experienced quite a bit of racism and resentment from a lot Mexicans particularly the ones who have the "Cholo" or "Sureno" mindset.
I grew up in North Hollywood (in the San Fernando Valley), where my immediate neighborhood was mostly Hispanic (Salvadorian and Guatemalans were plenty, almost outnumbering the Mexicans) and Southeast Asian (Vietnamese, Filipino, and Thai). There were plenty of Armenians back then, but not as many back then as there are now. Trust me: seeing "x3" (for those who don't know, x3 or 13 represents the letter M in the alphabet, paying homage to La Eme or the Mexican Mafia. The gang members are called "Surenos") tagging everywhere was the norm back during the 90s and early 2000s.

Most of my best friends are Mexican (in fact, I'm hanging out with one right now). I had much more trouble with Asian gangbangers than Latino ones, despite the latter being much more populated in my area than the former. I feel MUCH more comfortable in places like North Hollywood, Van Nuys, or Pacoima than in areas like East Long Beach or Koreatown (very heavily Asian areas).

Hostility came on an individual by individual basis. If someone didn't like me, or I didn't like someone, it was usually because of something that I personally did or they personally did to me.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:45 PM

279 posts, read 295,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I grew up in North Hollywood (in the San Fernando Valley), where my immediate neighborhood was mostly Hispanic (Salvadorian and Guatemalans were plenty, almost outnumbering the Mexicans) and Southeast Asian (Vietnamese, Filipino, and Thai). There were plenty of Armenians back then, but not as many back then as there are now. Trust me: seeing "x3" (for those who don't know, x3 or 13 represents the letter M in the alphabet, paying homage to La Eme or the Mexican Mafia. The gang members are called "Surenos") tagging everywhere was the norm back during the 90s and early 2000s.

Most of my best friends are Mexican (in fact, I'm hanging out with one right now). I had much more trouble with Asian gangbangers than Latino ones, despite the latter being much more populated in my area than the former. I feel MUCH more comfortable in places like North Hollywood, Van Nuys, or Pacoima than in areas like East Long Beach or Koreatown (very heavily Asian areas).

Hostility came on an individual by individual basis. If someone didn't like me, or I didn't like someone, it was usually because of something that I personally did or they personally did to me.
That's really cool. I have the exact opposite feelings in that I feel much more comfortable in the South Bay (West and East Long Beach, Carson and Torrance) but I would feel pretty uncomfortable in some of the areas that you're familiar like Pacoima and Van Nuys. I guess it has to do with the people we hang out with as I hang out with mostly Cambodians, Vietnamese and Samoans.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:47 PM

423 posts, read 82,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Where are the black that are moving to Philadelphia coming from? Just asking....
Probably New York......

Old 01-18-2011, 05:48 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,070,856 times
Quote:
That's so not true. Man, you are so desperate. You just love picking on me.
"I'm sorry for that y'all. It's just Atlanta is always in the spotlight. Atlanta is growing too much that people tend to forget about Alabama, my homestate. It's all good though. All is good." Source

"That really upsets me! It seems like poor Alabama will never be bigger than Atlanta!" Source

Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
Probably New York......
I was talking about which southern state.....

Old 01-18-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
"I'm sorry for that y'all. It's just Atlanta is always in the spotlight. Atlanta is growing too much that people tend to forget about Alabama, my homestate. It's all good though. All is good." Source

"That really upsets me! It seems like poor Alabama will never be bigger than Atlanta!" Source

You are an a$$ for that! It's a shame you have to find some old post that I typed like 2 years ago to make me look bad and to make people get at me. How could you, man?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:56 PM

6,839 posts, read 6,476,008 times
Quote:
well for one thing i know my diaspora(haitian american) have been moving to philly. according to most of them its like a cheaper nyc. my aunt being one of them.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 PM

That's interesting! I learn something NEW everyday! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.