U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 PM

23,975 posts, read 20,603,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The south had jobs too.

What kinds of jobs? It also had lynchings, inferior schooling, intricate Jim Crow "rules and regulations," etc.

It was bad in the North, but the South was bad to the nth power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,201,461 times
Yeap, South was bad.
But now South is Good

Old 01-19-2011, 03:02 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,562,265 times
Quote:
The south had jobs too.
Not back in the day when compared to the North, which is why there was a "Great Migration" to begin with. Of course it's different today.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Why do you consider it mildly surprising? I'm genuinely interested in how you view this particular issue.
I don't have ancestors from the American South, at least not the deep South. The furthest South my people go is far northern Virginia and Cecil County, MD, right south of the PA border/Philadelphia region. So if many African Americans see the Deep South, especially the states from which most left during the Great Migration northward (fleeing Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, Florida) as "down home" and feel a strong connection to these areas, I really can't understand it. Now, I do understand that many people of African American descent see the South as the place where their culture and family originated, and they have a connection there, but it still baffles me a bit, anyway, that people whose parents, grandparents and great-grandparents left under great social and economic duress, would actually feel good about returning. I mean, I have heard so many stories, read so many books, seen so many movies and heard so many blues tunes about how horrible life was in the Jim Crow South. Why would anyone want to revisit the places where these horrible things happened? I know that things have changed in the USA, in the South, since the 1960s, but I also know that before that life was unbearable there for black folks. Why come back to where that happened? While the Northern inner cities are bad for us too, not all areas are like that. Is the South really that much better now for black people?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:34 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,562,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't have ancestors from the American South, at least not the deep South. The furthest South my people go is far northern Virginia and Cecil County, MD, right south of the PA border/Philadelphia region. So if many African Americans see the Deep South, especially the states from which most left during the Great Migration northward (fleeing Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, Florida) as "down home" and feel a strong connection to these areas, I really can't understand it. Now, I do understand that many people of African American descent see the South as the place where their culture and family originated, and they have a connection there, but it still baffles me a bit, anyway, that people whose parents, grandparents and great-grandparents left under great social and economic duress, would actually feel good about returning. I mean, I have heard so many stories, read so many books, seen so many movies and heard so many blues tunes about how horrible life was in the Jim Crow South. Why would anyone want to revisit the places where these horrible things happened? I know that things have changed in the USA, in the South, since the 1960s, but I also know that before that life was unbearable there for black folks. Why come back to where that happened? While the Northern inner cities are bad for us too, not all areas are like that. Is the South really that much better now for black people?
Those are legitimate questions. Being that my grandparents nor parents ever left the South, I don't have that particular perspective. But here are some articles I've read that show how many who are/were in that position view things:

Blacks Return to South In a Reverse Migration

Blacks on the Move, Back to the South : NPR

Blacks Returning To The South - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Reverse Migration South - In a Reverse Migration, Blacks Head to New South - Los Angeles Times

I think it's also worth pointing out that things weren't quite as bad in some places in the South as they were in others, and plenty of Blacks still stayed in the South. The vast majority of Blacks moving back down South are moving to specific cities: Atlanta (first and foremost), Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, etc. These are cities where things weren't quite as bad for us, and Atlanta was downright progressive in terms of race relations in the 60's (it wasn't perfect, but still quite progressive). And of course, the biggest argument to be made is economic and that goes for Blacks, Whites, and others who are moving Southward.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 PM

15,831 posts, read 20,011,305 times
Quote:
What kinds of jobs? It also had lynchings, inferior schooling, intricate Jim Crow "rules and regulations," etc.

It was bad in the North, but the South was bad to the nth power.
Was the the south worse?? Yes, but the north wasn't good either. History books sugarcoat race relations in the north during those times.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:46 PM

640 posts, read 688,782 times
People of every race are flocking to the south.
Theres room to breath, theres tons of trees, theres land. It's cheap and the weather and culture is great.

As far as blacks having a connection to the south I can definitely see that.
Ive always noticed that blacks especially from midwest cities have much more in common with southerners than they believe.

I'm from the south, born and raised. I'm white, but even being so I actually have more in common with blacks from the midwest than whites from those areas, because most blacks from those areas act and from what Ive seen were raised more southern than anything else.

My accent and pattern of speech is very similar to them, I also grew up eating the same types of food as them (soul food is pretty much the same thing as southern food, whites in the south eat "soul food" Theres some differences, but when I go to a soul food restaurant its the same food being served that all the women in my family cook.) etc. Ive noticed alot of things.

Now that the south isn't a racist hotbed I think alot of blacks especially are returning because it really is there roots here in America. If you eat grits an cheese for breakfast, fried chicken for lunch and pork n beans for dinner it's probably not just cause your black, it's cause you have roots in the south.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Was the the south worse?? Yes, but the north wasn't good either. History books sugarcoat race relations in the north during those times.
No they don't either. The South was worse, the North was bad, and nobody I know claims differently.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM

15,831 posts, read 20,011,305 times
Quote:
No they don't either. The South was worse, the North was bad, and nobody I know claims differently.
Uh.....yeah they do.

Why are you even debating this??? Your post earlier obviously stated you're very ignorant about racial tolerance within the south.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:06 PM

640 posts, read 688,782 times
Quote:
Your right, but still what is your point?

Racism in the south at this point and time in the south is about as prevalent as anywhere else right now. You have to officially leave civilization in order to meet any skinheads or KKK down here, and I'm just making assumptions Ive never seen either in my 20+ years living here, and ive been to many small southern towns in the middle of nowhere.

Ive been to many all black small towns and never had problems, also no black people I know have any horror stories about being in a small white town and being treated wrong. Actually most will tell you how whites in small hick towns treat blacks better than blacks in the city treat other blacks.

I actually had a conversation with a black friend of mine who recently moved to an all white small town. He told me that he prefers the company of those whites than the blacks in the city where hes from. His neighbors cut his yard, they have big family style get togethers, the neighbors pay him to babysit there kids when hes low on money. He loves it and says he will probably never move back to a black section of a city ever again.

Most white people feel bad about the past and don't agree with it and more than half of them were not even alive when all this was taking place.

Even back in the day it wasn't like every white person hated blacks. Most whites thought the way blacks were being treated was wrong but they held little to no power in changing the circumstances.

Whites and Blacks get along well in the south nowadays. In every stereotypical trailer park there's black families that fit in and everyone treats them just like everyone else. The same is true for the white people that live in or near the projects.

If your Black and you live in the south it makes more sense to fear another black man before a white man and if your white it makes more sense to fear another white man before a black man too, because your more likely to get 20 times more likely robbed or attacked by someone of your own race regardless of your race.

Also your more likely to be descriminated against based on class, not race. The same goes with the people you will hang out with. Upper class blacks hang out with upper class whites and lower class whites hang out with lower class blacks.

Last edited by Observation; 01-19-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.