U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 04:18 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,962,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
People of every race are flocking to the south.
Theres room to breath, theres tons of trees, theres land. It's cheap and the weather and culture is great.

As far as blacks having a connection to the south I can definitely see that.
Ive always noticed that blacks especially from midwest cities have much more in common with southerners than they believe.
And California, and the NE. I hear Louisiana and Mississippi and Texas in the language of even young blacks in Cali, and I hear Alabama in the cadences of Detroiters, and I hear the Carolinas in people from Pittsburgh, Phila and Boston.

Quote:
I'm from the south, born and raised. I'm white, but even being so I actually have more in common with blacks from the midwest than whites from those areas, because most blacks from those areas act and from what Ive seen were raised more southern than anything else.

My accent and pattern of speech is very similar to them, I also grew up eating the same types of food as them (soul food is pretty much the same thing as southern food, whites in the south eat "soul food" Theres some differences, but when I go to a soul food restaurant its the same food being served that all the women in my family cook.) etc. Ive noticed alot of things.
Quote:
Now that the south isn't a racist hotbed I think alot of blacks especially are returning because it really is there roots here in America. If you eat grits an cheese for breakfast, fried chicken for lunch and pork n beans for dinner it's probably not just cause your black, it's cause you have roots in the south.
Dunno. I do remember going to North Carolina (where my wife's folks are from) and really liking it, even to the point of considering relocation, but I still had that tiny bit of apprehension. I just have heard so much, and still know older folks (especially from South Carolina) who never want to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,327,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Dunno. I do remember going to North Carolina (where my wife's folks are from) and really liking it, even to the point of considering relocation, but I still had that tiny bit of apprehension. I just have heard so much, and still know older folks (especially from South Carolina) who never want to go back.
I actually think a lot of those people who never want to go back haven't really even visited since they've left, with maybe the exception of an occasional funeral which can be a sort of hit-and-run visit. I remember once when I was back in Charlotte and was in orientation for a seasonal job at Macy's and I was literally surrounded by people originally up North; one was an older White woman, the other a middle-aged Black guy, and another was a young Latino girl. I specifically remember the Black guy telling me that his mom, who lived in NYC, was originally from down South (I forget exactly where) and how she adamantly swore she would never return to the South. Her son had already made the move to Charlotte and was telling her how great it was and eventually convinced his mom to visit. After just one visit, she went back to NYC and put her house on the market and made the move down also.

At this point in time, just about any sort of discrimination against minorities in the South is going to be of the same sort they'd experience in the Northeast, Midwest, or West. Seriously, why the apprehension? Nobody's getting lynched down here or being denied access to stores, restaurants, or colleges because of the color of their skin. NC in particular is a great place for African Americans. I have a Black friend originally from NYC who absolutely loves the South and now lives in Raleigh and really likes it there. He also lived in Charlotte for a little while as well.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:46 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,962,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I actually think a lot of those people who never want to go back haven't really even visited since they've left, with maybe the exception of an occasional funeral which can be a sort of hit-and-run visit. I remember once when I was back in Charlotte and was in orientation for a seasonal job at Macy's and I was literally surrounded by people originally up North; one was an older White woman, the other a middle-aged Black guy, and another was a young Latino girl. I specifically remember the Black guy telling me that his mom, who lived in NYC, was originally from down South (I forget exactly where) and how she adamantly swore she would never return to the South. Her son had already made the move to Charlotte and was telling her how great it was and eventually convinced his mom to visit. After just one visit, she went back to NYC and put her house on the market and made the move down also.

At this point in time, just about any sort of discrimination against minorities in the South is going to be of the same sort they'd experience in the Northeast, Midwest, or West. Seriously, why the apprehension? Nobody's getting lynched down here or being denied access to stores, restaurants, or colleges because of the color of their skin. NC in particular is a great place for African Americans. I have a Black friend originally from NYC who absolutely loves the South and now lives in Raleigh and really likes it there. He also lived in Charlotte for a little while as well.
Like I said, the apprehension is just minor. I probably will end up in NC, Texas or Florida fairly soon.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,436,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
People of every race are flocking to the south.
Theres room to breath, theres tons of trees, theres land. It's cheap and the weather and culture is great.

As far as blacks having a connection to the south I can definitely see that.
Ive always noticed that blacks especially from midwest cities have much more in common with southerners than they believe.

I'm from the south, born and raised. I'm white, but even being so I actually have more in common with blacks from the midwest than whites from those areas, because most blacks from those areas act and from what Ive seen were raised more southern than anything else.

My accent and pattern of speech is very similar to them, I also grew up eating the same types of food as them (soul food is pretty much the same thing as southern food, whites in the south eat "soul food" Theres some differences, but when I go to a soul food restaurant its the same food being served that all the women in my family cook.) etc. Ive noticed alot of things.

Now that the south isn't a racist hotbed I think alot of blacks especially are returning because it really is there roots here in America. If you eat grits an cheese for breakfast, fried chicken for lunch and pork n beans for dinner it's probably not just cause your black, it's cause you have roots in the south.
Yeap, Asians come there too, mostly from California and obvioulsy from abroad.Texas' Asian American pop grow very fast and is now the third in the US after CA and NY.Texas asian pop could surpass NY asian pop in one or 2 decades

Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 PM

12,356 posts, read 18,229,441 times
Does anyone have a similar for the states? I've been looking for one, but I can't find it.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,327,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Does anyone have a similar for the states? I've been looking for one, but I can't find it.
Huh?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,288,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
but he is like a puppy. Totally harmless.
Puppies are cute until they s*** all over the floor..Not cute so much anymore ehh?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,167,283 times
Did A&M poo on your floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Puppies are cute until they s*** all over the floor..Not cute so much anymore ehh?
pffft, my puppies know that they can poo in other people's yards but not on the floor.

so yes still cute.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,288,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
well for one thing i know my diaspora(haitian american) have been moving to philly. according to most of them its like a cheaper nyc. my aunt being one of them.
I am almost willing to bet that Atlanta has become a hotbed for Haitians.I used to NEVER really meet Haitians 10 years ago.Now I have several friends that are Haitians and i see many more in the workplace.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:58 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,167,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I am almost willing to bet that Atlanta has become a hotbed for Haitians.I used to NEVER really meet Haitians 10 years ago.Now I have several friends that are Haitians and i see many more in the workplace.
you gotta starts looking out for Loup Garou then

They are popular in Haiti
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or