U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,301,190 times
Reputation: 2934

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
I thought I made myself very clear in that post...What didn't you get?
Well you made many assumptions.Most blacks would not feel comfortable in ANY all white town North,South,West etc...
Where I grew up I was welcomed in many of my whites friends homes for dinner,sleep overs or even out of town vacations.I admit truthfully many of my friends parents probably were guilty of the way they may have used to be but they were always more than pleasant.People do change.The city with the separate proms are few and in between(at least in Georgia).

Yes there is a good ole boy mentality but its all over the U.S.Its just more so in your face in the South. Its more convert in the Northeast in my opinion.I mean look at how much diversity there is up North but those cities are very segrgated in where people live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2011, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Texarkana
674 posts, read 1,348,501 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Why do sooooo many people pick on me?! Goodness. It's so overwhelming and annoying.
Just let it roll off your back man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
 
314 posts, read 643,075 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well you made many assumptions.Most blacks would not feel comfortable in ANY all white town North,South,West etc...
Where I grew up I was welcomed in many of my whites friends homes for dinner,sleep overs or even out of town vacations.I admit truthfully many of my friends parents probably were guilty of the way they may have used to be but they were always more than pleasant.People do change.The city with the separate proms are few and in between(at least in Georgia).

Yes there is a good ole boy mentality but its all over the U.S.Its just more so in your face in the South. Its more convert in the Northeast in my opinion.I mean look at how much diversity there is up North but those cities are very segrgated in where people live.
I think you misinterpreted me...We agree on most of your points....I took offense to the dude acting as if there no existing racial divide in the South and that blacks and whites are all holding hands singing kumbaya down here..I'm sure now the North or any other region in this country race relations are that much different than the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 PM
 
639 posts, read 1,119,124 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well Im black and your experiences of how I and my extended family are raised is totally different.For you to say that "most blacks" have "no morals" is crazy.While I do not believe in excuses,I do realize that the human condition can be delicate and if we believe that all people are created equal then how can we ignore that the environment in which people are raised has no bearing on what affects them as adults.?

Maybe its a minority(doing wrong) where you are from but I dont see it and statistics dont show that.Granted the numbers are high but they not the majority of blacks.
I never said the majority of Blacks behave this way, what I said is that the majority of people behaving this way (at least from what I've seen) are black.
I'm sick of seeing pregnant 16 year olds with 1 kid already talking about how there man just caught an attempted murder charge, or they just got out for check fraud. I'm tired of hearing drunk bums that spent half there life in prison complaining about white people being the reason they can't get a job.
Ive known too many people to be shot, robbed for everything they have or been brutally beaten, and it's always by there own kind. I know someone spending life in prison because his cousin snitched on him to lesson his own sentence. I hardly know anyone who actually grew up with a father in the home, and most of them are repeating this cycle and making excuses for there actions and getting a pass for it by family and friends. How is any of this showing good moral judgment?

I don't care what race you are. If your knocking up random women, not raising your children and your a criminal you not only have terrible morals, but as does anyone who defends or houses you. I know too many ppl like this who refuse to admit they are the source of there problems. They blame there parents, environment, or racism while they go out of there way to perpetuate the cycle they were born into.

Your environment is dictated by you and your parents decisions. Living in the hood in itself isn't a bad environment. Unless your in the game or your parents are abusive or drug addicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,301,190 times
Reputation: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
I never said the majority of Blacks behave this way, what I said is that the majority of people behaving this way (at least from what I've seen) are black.
I'm sick of seeing pregnant 16 year olds with 1 kid already talking about how there man just caught an attempted murder charge, or they just got out for check fraud. I'm tired of hearing drunk bums that spent half there life in prison complaining about white people being the reason they can't get a job.
Ive known too many people to be shot, robbed for everything they have or been brutally beaten, and it's always by there own kind. I know someone spending life in prison because his cousin snitched on him to lesson his own sentence. I hardly know anyone who actually grew up with a father in the home, and most of them are repeating this cycle and making excuses for there actions and getting a pass for it by family and friends. How is any of this showing good moral judgment?

I don't care what race you are. If your knocking up random women, not raising your children and your a criminal you not only have terrible morals, but as does anyone who defends or houses you. I know too many ppl like this who refuse to admit they are the source of there problems. They blame there parents, environment, or racism while they go out of there way to perpetuate the cycle they were born into.

Your environment is dictated by you and your parents decisions. Living in the hood in itself isn't a bad environment. Unless your in the game or your parents are abusive or drug addicts.
And you have never seen that happen?Surely if kids are not being parented then thats a problem.And it is a fact that those are raised in poverty have a greater chance that they will remain in poverty.If you have no one around to teach you wrong from right,then its not likely you will know the difference.Thats not an excuse but if you never tackle those reasons that led people to such behavior,then people tend to be helpless in changing for the better.
Im black but my parents are well off and on one side of my family even my grandparents were okay at a time when blacks were not suppose to be.They would have had more.They were stolen from by their own government that was suppose to protect them.How do you find yourself trying to succeed and all you see around you is people who see someone for not what they know about that person but what they THINK they know?You can really feel defeated.It takes a strong person even in the best of circumstances like I grew up.

BTW Im not condoning this bad behavior,but I think it is not fair to look at the historical aspects of how things were versus now.I mean before the 1960 blacks were taken care of their families with less money and harsher circumstances.So something had to happen for so many to go astray.

Oh I should also add that how blacks are brought up is different in the South than the North.In most smaller cities in the South I see more fmilies with a father than I do up North.My family for example:
I grew up 1.5 hrs South of ATlanta in a 2 parent home.Both of my parents came from 2 parent homes.
My relatives that stayed South,all them are with families where both parents were together.My cousins from Philly,Chicago,NYC,D.C.,almost all of them came from broken homes..(not all but almost all)

Last edited by afonega1; 01-20-2011 at 11:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 01:48 AM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
423 posts, read 496,478 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Slow down.....The South is obviously a much safer place for blacks than say the 60s but let's not kid ourselves into thinking good ole boy mentality among whites is dead..Racism in the region hasn't subsided as much as you are trying to portray..It's just more institutionalized now and practiced by racist whites more covertly like there counterparts in the rest of the country.

I don't know that many blacks that feel comfortable in all white Southern hick towns/tailor parks nor rednecks from those places welcoming to blacks...Where are you from again? I truly believe the only reason whites in the South tolerate blacks is cause they no longer have Jim Crow laws backing em and that they got us blacks exactly where they want us(to busy at eachothers throats as opposed to focusing on our real problem).
Thats very true.
In Maryland, whites are generally tolerant or not racist but there are some parts that are racist. Southern MD is a good example, theres suburbs and small towns that used to be all white. Now they are diverse and more whites are actually moving out of those places. It isn't rare to see hate graffiti here and it wasn't that long ago when someone hung a black baby doll on a tree.

Maryland has a lot of racial tension. Ever been to the Baltimore area? Skinheads galore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 AM
 
639 posts, read 1,119,124 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
And you have never seen that happen?Surely if kids are not being parented then thats a problem.And it is a fact that those are raised in poverty have a greater chance that they will remain in poverty.If you have no one around to teach you wrong from right,then its not likely you will know the difference.Thats not an excuse but if you never tackle those reasons that led people to such behavior,then people tend to be helpless in changing for the better.
Im black but my parents are well off and on one side of my family even my grandparents were okay at a time when blacks were not suppose to be.They would have had more.They were stolen from by their own government that was suppose to protect them.How do you find yourself trying to succeed and all you see around you is people who see someone for not what they know about that person but what they THINK they know?You can really feel defeated.It takes a strong person even in the best of circumstances like I grew up.

BTW Im not condoning this bad behavior,but I think it is not fair to look at the historical aspects of how things were versus now.I mean before the 1960 blacks were taken care of their families with less money and harsher circumstances.So something had to happen for so many to go astray.

Oh I should also add that how blacks are brought up is different in the South than the North.In most smaller cities in the South I see more fmilies with a father than I do up North.My family for example:
I grew up 1.5 hrs South of ATlanta in a 2 parent home.Both of my parents came from 2 parent homes.
My relatives that stayed South,all them are with families where both parents were together.My cousins from Philly,Chicago,NYC,D.C.,almost all of them came from broken homes..(not all but almost all)
Of course Ive known people whose parents abused them or were crackheads, but being realistic the majority of f*** ups don't have that excuse.
I know plenty of kids from good 2 parent families who never missed a meal in there life who are selling drugs or robbing people. They seem to think that them being black is a valid excuse to do these sort of activities even though they had a college fund waiting for them at birth, and great birthdays and Christmas every year growing up. The sad part is people, even there own family accepts there pathetic excuses and don't look or treat them like they should be a treated. A f*** up and a burden on society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 09:08 AM
 
56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Of course Ive known people whose parents abused them or were crackheads, but being realistic the majority of f*** ups don't have that excuse.
I know plenty of kids from good 2 parent families who never missed a meal in there life who are selling drugs or robbing people. They seem to think that them being black is a valid excuse to do these sort of activities even though they had a college fund waiting for them at birth, and great birthdays and Christmas every year growing up. The sad part is people, even there own family accepts there pathetic excuses and don't look or treat them like they should be a treated. A f*** up and a burden on society.
While this might be true, I would believe that this is the exception to the rule and isn't exclusive to Black folks. I've seen White kids in the community I grew up in get addicted to drugs, get pregnant in HS, not graduate in 4 years and so on. This was in a very good school district and solidly upper middle class area too. So, we have to look at the human condition.

I'm all for personal repsonsibility, but I think we can't dismiss social aspects as well that might effect certain communities more than others.

Also, let's not play the Asian most successful card considering that they only make up about 4.5% of the population and tend to be more of a selective group. There are asian groups like SE Asians with a high poverty rate and with all of the same issues you mentioned in other posts. So, let's not get crazy and ironically, African immigrants are the most educated in the US. That even continues for African immigrants in the next generation as well. So, socialization is a big factor as to why things are the way they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,705,037 times
Reputation: 7281
People should stop comparing Americans to immigrants because it sort of is an unfair comparison. Lots of immigrants come to American for a better life and education; they have more to work for because if they fail; they most likely will go back to their homeland. Us Americans are spoiled and lazy that lots of us don't take advantage of these opportunities and options this country offer us to succeed in life.

Your comparing people who have come from third world countries to people who have been pretty much living the good life for their entirety. It's two different situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,137 posts, read 7,198,446 times
Reputation: 2149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
People should stop comparing Americans to immigrants because it sort of is an unfair comparison. Lots of immigrants come to American for a better life and education; they have more to work for because if they fail; they most likely will go back to their homeland. Us Americans are spoiled and lazy that lots of us don't take advantage of these opportunities and options this country offer us to succeed in life.

Your comparing people who have come from third world countries to people who have been pretty much living the good life for their entirety. It's two different situations.
"Very well stated"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top