U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 AM

314 posts, read 642,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of that is from African immigrants/refugees too. Many have moved from the South as well though.
I wish more of them fine Ethiopian/Eritean, Somali, and Sudanese women would immigrate to the South(Louisiana)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
False, black people in Miami and Austin sound and act southern...........
That really doesn't mean much. You can make an argument that blacks in Ohio, Chicago, Detroit, and Wisconsin sound (especially) and act Southern as well. I've been to Wilmington a few times before. If that's a Southern city, than so are other cities outside the south. Nobody from the South would call Wilmington a Southern city and isn't Delaware to the right of the M-D line?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:46 AM

423 posts, read 495,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That really doesn't mean much. You can make an argument that blacks in Ohio, Chicago, Detroit, and Wisconsin sound (especially) and act Southern as well. I've been to Wilmington a few times before. If that's a Southern city, than so are other cities outside the south. Nobody from the South would call Wilmington a Southern city and isn't Delaware to the right of the M-D line?
The Mason Dixon line was never meant to be the boundary for the North/South, it was meant to resolve the dispute between Maryland and Pennsylvania because at first Maryland's state line was damn near at Philly. Also Maryland was a blue state not a red one even though people tried to rebel but since it surrounds D.C. it had no choice but to fight with the north. Delaware had confederate troops too. The census has always put MD and DE in the south, so they are both bound by the same fate. Go anywhere south of Wilmington and its no doubt southern. Some thing with Maryland, go outside of the Baltimore-Washington region and its southern. Western Maryland reminds me of Pennsylvania and Southern MD/Eastern Shore is southern.

I have a feeling that people on here would agree that Wilmington and Baltimore are northern but D.C. is southern. WTF type of sh%t is that?

Old 01-27-2011, 12:55 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,435,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
I wish more of them fine Ethiopian/Eritean, Somali, and Sudanese women would immigrate to the South(Louisiana)
You can go to Houston for that, it's pretty near Louisiana

Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times
This probably is of no value to the thread, but want to mention it, anyway.

I live in the PNW, and I have two African-American friends/co-workers whose daughters decided to attend college in the south. One went to Georgia and the other will soon to go Alabama. I think both mothers were surprised.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
The Mason Dixon line was never meant to be the boundary for the North/South, it was meant to resolve the dispute between Maryland and Pennsylvania because at first Maryland's state line was damn near at Philly. Also Maryland was a blue state not a red one even though people tried to rebel but since it surrounds D.C. it had no choice but to fight with the north. Delaware had confederate troops too. The census has always put MD and DE in the south, so they are both bound by the same fate. Go anywhere south of Wilmington and its no doubt southern. Some thing with Maryland, go outside of the Baltimore-Washington region and its southern. Western Maryland reminds me of Pennsylvania and Southern MD/Eastern Shore is southern.

I have a feeling that people on here would agree that Wilmington and Baltimore are northern but D.C. is southern. WTF type of sh%t is that?
I know all about that concerning the M-D line. I just brought it up because it seems to always come up in these discussions when in reality, that imaginary line has no bearing on what is South and what is North in 2011. So in all of this. How would this make Wilmington a Southern city? Do the residents of Wilmington acknowledge that they are a Southern city?

Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 PM

314 posts, read 642,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
You can go to Houston for that, it's pretty near Louisiana
Houston has a big Horn African and Sudanese population?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM

423 posts, read 495,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know all about that concerning the M-D line. I just brought it up because it seems to always come up in these discussions when in reality, that imaginary line has no bearing on what is South and what is North in 2011. So in all of this. How would this make Wilmington a Southern city? Do the residents of Wilmington acknowledge that they are a Southern city?
Wilmington only becomes a city when people go by factual information. The census puts it in the southern region. But whenever a source places it in the north they place Maryland and D.C. in the north. Its just no way someone can fixed their mouth to say D.C. is southern and Wilmington is northern. Most of my family lives in Wilmington and New Castle and it doesn't feel that much different than D.C.

IMO I don't start to feel a different in atmosphere until I get to Philly.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:23 PM

Yeah but whenever I go to Wilmington on my way to Philadelphia, I honestly don't get a different feel or atmosphere between the two other than Wilmington is obliviously much smaller.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,262,978 times
Quote:
Its just no way someone can fixed their mouth to say D.C. is southern and Wilmington is northern. Most of my family lives in Wilmington and New Castle and it doesn't feel that much different than D.C.

IMO I don't start to feel a different in atmosphere until I get to Philly.
You know, I don't get why you think that's the case. There's no reason why DC can't be Southern and Wilmington northern. Wilmington is significantly influenced by Philly, a northern city by any definition. On the other hand, if DC doesn't feel different than Wilmington, isn't it possible that it is because both are Northern (instead of both being Southern)? I'm not saying outright that DC is northern, but it's just a thought.

Also, when I'm going home to South Jersey from College Park, I feel like I'm "almost there" when I'm going up I-95 and see Wilmington off to the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or