U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 AM

212 posts, read 352,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
no its a slap to the face to people who can upgrade themselves and people like you who are 50 still living in the year 1826. Truth of the matter is no1 in maryland considers themselves southern. Their culture is more with the northern then it is southern, and for the most part Maryland , dc, Richmond Virginia use the term "middle east" overall. Which makes sense. Who cares about a dixie line. How is it a slap to the face when the blacks living in those places now would slap you in the face if you called them southern?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A
I believe that I know more than you can possibly dream of dude. First of all I'm not 50 but I'm in my twenties to be exact. Second, the middle east term is not an factual term it used by the urban community from Maryland to North Carolina to distinguish themselves from the deep south and the north. Third, I do not live in the year 1826 I'm living in 2011 and based my experiences off having been to alot places and having family in the south(Maryland included) and facts not from some guy like you who watches episodes of the Wire and the Corner and thinks he knows it all. Fourth, Richmond, VA is extremely southern. Being the capital of the confederacy, the way of life, pace, lifestyle is nothing but southern. Fifth, if don't you think that Maryland is in the south ask the Government what they think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 AM

18,658 posts, read 27,102,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
. Fifth, if don't you think that Maryland is in the south ask the Government what they think it is.
So the government is the be all on what is Southern or not and not culture and the residents itself? Got ya.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 AM

18,658 posts, read 27,102,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
No way, no how. Since when did the south start at Fredericksburg and when did Virginia get nothern? You mean to actually tell me when someone leaves North Carolina( a state culturally and geography similar to Virginia in everyway) Richmond or somewhere you mean to tell me once they hit Fredericksburg their up north?? I don't think so. You just can't go from north to south like that. There has to an area and thats area is Maryland.
Where did you get that he is saying Virginia is Northern in this comment? He is saying that the Southern culture starts becoming more noticeable once you hit Fredericksburg and to many people, that is true. The M-D line is basically irrelevant in 2011. I won't say Maryland and DC are Northern because they don't believe that as well. But they also don't agree with them being Southerners. This region is firmly in the Mid-Atlantic and it slightly leans to the North especially DC and Baltimore. Virginia, though, is a Southern state.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,443,051 times
I don't see Maryland as Southern o_o

Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 PM

257 posts, read 351,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I don't see Maryland as Southern o_o
Maryland is southern.......

Old 02-04-2011, 04:57 PM

346 posts, read 758,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
no its a slap to the face to people who can upgrade themselves and people like you who are 50 still living in the year 1826. Truth of the matter is no1 in maryland considers themselves southern. Their culture is more with the northern then it is southern, and for the most part Maryland , dc, Richmond Virginia use the term "middle east" overall. Which makes sense. Who cares about a dixie line. How is it a slap to the face when the blacks living in those places now would slap you in the face if you called them southern?
I agree with you about DC, MD, being middle east/midatlantic but I don't agree about Richmond VA. Many AA people still consider themselves southern and say they are from the top of the south, or up south.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:22 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,950,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Breathing Fire View Post
Maryland is southern.......
except for MoCo

Old 02-04-2011, 05:25 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I have a few friends in LA and it is true that Mexicans cannot stand blacks there. One of my friends moved from Chicago to Los Angeles and he agrees. It's pretty bad.
I'm a black Southern Californian and met some cool Mexicans and bad ones. I never intend on leaving California, but I wouldn't look for a residence in a barrio, despite the fact that the whole area is becoming one.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:15 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,471,076 times
I think the "Three Strike Rule" might be another reason for leaving California.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,874,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Oh wait a minute.You ever been to Rising Sun?What about Southern Delaware?Salibury?Those areas scream South.
Thats the whole point according to the goof up their everything is determined by the retarded dixie line. If so then no place in Delaware is the south since Delaware is on the northern half of the dixie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or