U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 PM
 
56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12549

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I dont think I said that,but if I did thats not what I meant.I was just saying that it is higher than normal in NYC.


Recent Black immigrants are holding it down in NYC,but its not just Southern blacks with Southern roots moving down South.In fact more Africans are moving at a much higher than ever rate than before to Atlanta and Houston.The more established Caribbeans in NYC are also amongst those leaving.We are talking at least 2 generations.
NY is an interesting state in that it still has more Black folks than any other state and is the 10th Blackest state percentage wise. It also had slavery until 1827 and it's major cities are on par with Southern cities in terms of percentage. So, it has a lot of characteristics that Southern states have. It will be interesting to see if and when the tide turns again, how NY will look in regards to Black folks. Same for MI, IL, PA and OH. With the latter 2, they have HBCU's, whocj could be a draw for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 PM
 
Location: St. Joseph Area
6,237 posts, read 8,469,958 times
Reputation: 3101
This doesn't surprise me. I teach in a largely african american district in North Carolina, and about half of my black students are from New York, or at least have relatives up that way. Also, the Great Migration wasn't so long ago that people lost their roots down here. I've spoken with many retired black people who said that they moved back from the North to be with extended family that was still in the area. Combine that with the nice weather and jobs and you have a big migration going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 33,995,592 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This doesn't surprise me. I teach in a largely african american district in North Carolina, and about half of my black students are from New York, or at least have relatives up that way. Also, the Great Migration wasn't so long ago that people lost their roots down here. I've spoken with many retired black people who said that they moved back from the North to be with extended family that was still in the area. Combine that with the nice weather and jobs and you have a big migration going on.
I just had the Weather Channel on five minutes ago. It was snowing all throughout the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,742 posts, read 5,997,472 times
Reputation: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I just had the Weather Channel on five minutes ago. It was snowing all throughout the state.
Which state? New York? Its sunny and beautiful here in Charlotte. Here's the forecast for the next seven days...

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad189/taylorlangston09/7day.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,870,682 times
Reputation: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Which state? New York? Its sunny and beautiful here in Charlotte. Here's the forecast for the next seven days...
its beautiful sunny day in new york city. No snow but its not 60 degrees neither more like 26.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 PM
 
Location: New Haven, CT
212 posts, read 352,575 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
your talk never makes no sense. If im not a criminal i could care less how tough laws are because im not a criminal. New york has tough laws but i feel great. So again bounce before i prove you wrong again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9bo0UR440
You haven't proved anything but that you're some 17 year old kid who watches too much Wire and the Corner and doesnt know anything about the real world. You was wrong about the south thing and now you're wrong about this. You didn't look at my statements that I presented as whole, I said that if you add the history of the LAPD, racism, and the though laws as a whole that is possibly a reason why (yet small) someone would leave a city especially if they have prior convictions combined with the tough laws. So again bounce before I prove you wrong again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,870,682 times
Reputation: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9bo0UR440
You haven't proved anything but that you're some 17 year old kid who watches too much Wire and the Corner and doesnt know anything about the real world. You was wrong about the south thing and now you're wrong about this. You didn't look at my statements that I presented as whole, I said that if you add the history of the LAPD, racism, and the though laws as a whole that is possibly a reason why (yet small) someone would leave a city especially if they have prior convictions combined with the tough laws. So again bounce before I prove you wrong again.

lol hahah? wire and the corner? thats all you got?

seems like those 2 are your favorite shows to watch? First of all i never watched the corner in my life, and as for the wire i only watched season 4/5(dont know why im even explaining myself anyway)


No again bounce because blacks were not fleeing l.a during racism, and in fact the 3 strike rule goes for everyone in l.a and mexicans get it just as bad but they seem to be growing type fast.

so again leave. Laws don't make people leave a city(especially in the 21st century)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 07:47 AM
 
639 posts, read 1,119,273 times
Reputation: 617
Cool I'm one of "the cool kids"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
lol hahah? wire and the corner? thats all you got?

seems like those 2 are your favorite shows to watch? First of all i never watched the corner in my life, and as for the wire i only watched season 4/5(dont know why im even explaining myself anyway)


No again bounce because blacks were not fleeing l.a during racism, and in fact the 3 strike rule goes for everyone in l.a and mexicans get it just as bad but they seem to be growing type fast.

so again leave. Laws don't make people leave a city(especially in the 21st century)
You lose credibility for not being a fan of the wire and never seeing the corner.
If you have never seen first 48 or gangland, your officially no longer one of "the cool kids"


That's enough, Ive gotta go drop some coated catfish in some weak old fish grease and smoke some cheap tobacco.
fat, dumb, and emphysema.
The South>>>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2011, 06:12 AM
 
Location: St. Joseph Area
6,237 posts, read 8,469,958 times
Reputation: 3101
Quote:
I just had the Weather Channel on five minutes ago. It was snowing all throughout the state
Who said snow wasn't nice?
When I think "nice weather" I always think of sunshine. It could be ten below, but as long as it's sunny then the weather is "nice" I know most others don't feel the same way though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2011, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,577,680 times
Reputation: 3235
You've never been to Minnesota, have you? Anything 10 below is NOT nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top